Getting back into shape - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm mushy from 8 weeks of bed rest. MUSHY! Where did my muscles go?!

I gained 62 pounds. Last week, at 5 wks pp, I was down 42 pounds. So I have 20 left to go. With my older kiddos, nursing was all it took to get the weight off. (Lucky, I know!) I fear my tummy will never be the same, especially my skin! I did read the Mummy Tummy book and am doing my elevators/contractions for my 2 finger width diastis. You're not supposed to do any ab work until the diastis goes down or it could get worse. I am ready to start exercising, but haven't got the time. Imagine that!

I am ready to wear normal jeans again. I have one pair of maternity jeans that fit, but they're starting to fall off...but no other jeans fit! My regular tops are fine unless you count the belly bulge that shows through them. Ick.

I am afraid to do anything in the way of dieting (even WW) since I'm nursing two babies.

I know I'm further out on this PP journey than most of you, but I still thought we could chat.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#2 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 06:09 PM

nak

i am DYING to go back to the gym, not really because i am unhappy with where my body is for 3 weeks pp (i'm already almost fitting in my pre-preg jeans) but because i need and crave physical activity (i worked out through 8 months of pregnancy, pretty much, and in the ninth month did a lot of walking when the gym was too much).

i must admit that while i lost the bulk of my pregnancy weight almost immediately (go go breastfeeding), because i had rock solid abs pre-baby and now my stomach is MUSH, it's disconcerting for me. i was basically doing a sit up with the baby the other day and my stomach still looked mushy and i was very confused.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#3 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robina_josephine View Post
not really because i am unhappy with where my body is for 3 weeks pp (i'm already almost fitting in my pre-preg jeans)

I could fit into my pre-preg jeans at 3 weeks pp with my first, too. *Sigh*

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#4 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lindsey* View Post

I could fit into my pre-preg jeans at 3 weeks pp with my first, too. *Sigh*

notice i say "almost" -- my hips spread just enough that i can either get them up and zip/button but OOF are they tight, or i can get them up but not zip/button all the way yet. my hips started spreading as soon as i got pregnant so i figure...nine months to get them to spread, if i'm this close by 3weeks, that's amazing. and maybe they'll never go down completely, who knows.

anyway, i didn't just have twins either. i think you are doing amazing!! what is, by the way, the mummy tummy book?

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#5 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so teasing you, Robina!

How to Lose your Mummy Tummy by Julie Tupler

It has exercises in it to correct the diastais.

#6 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 PM

So far I've been on one walk and have contemplated breaking out my pilates DVD tomorrow, when Dylan is back at daycare. I had so much blood loss that it's really only been in the last week that I've felt like I have the energy to exercise. Now it's a matter of finding the time.

I gained... well, a lot of weight while pregnant. I've dropped about 35 pounds so far, but need to lose another 40 to get back to my goal weight. What I really need to work on is my eating habits. I've gone so far as to recalculate my WW points for my current weight and nursing status, and have sort of done some half-assed point counting, but I'm easing into it so far.
#7 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 PM

i'm so ready to get back into shape. i'm only 2 weeks pp so i'm not working out or dieting or anything. i don't have anything that fits right, especially for winter. i'm embarassed to leave the house.
#8 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 PM

I lent my mummy tummy book to a coworker before I even looked at it, while I was still preggo in July, and never saw it again. :

I am 10 days PP and recovering from my surprise C-section but already enjoying touching my toes again, yay! I'm not supposed to even try to walk much for a while. I'm sooooo ready to exercise but I think it's gonna be a while. The PP adrenaline rush is helping me not eat much, I didn't expect that!

I'm with ya on the mushy stomach, but DH says it's shrinking before his very eyes. Yay! It'll be a while before I know what I'm left with but I miss my abs. I can't believe I used to think I was fat. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
#9 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 PM

I'm less than 2 wks pp, so not worried about weight loss yet. So hungry with all the nursing. I gained 30 lbs and so far have lost close to 20.
Dh is back to work with our only car so I'm walking a lot already. The kid still have to go to school. I walk probably about 4 miles a day, it's not speed walking or anything, but it's still something.
If I don't lose anything else until Ronin weans, I'll be fine with that. But it would be nice to lose it all and not have to worry about it later.
And yes, I'm mushy. Third kid, Ms. Mushy. And don't get me started on my ass.

Mama to 3:
#10 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 PM

I'm down to four pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight, but I still would like to lose some weight. (Slowly, slowly, of course.) I was not at my ideal weight when I got pregnant with Asher.

Mostly, I'd like to have about three hundred flaps of saggy belly skin just cut off. Anyone care to pay for my plastic surgery?

Seriously, my stomach shrank so fast--but the jiggly skin is just killing me! Who was it that said they could tuck their belly into their pre-preggo jeans? I thought that was so funny, and appropriate!

I suppose, the third time around, any hopes of just having a flat belly without trying are just ridiculous. I'm going to check out that Mummy Tummy book y'all are yapping about!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#11 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 PM

i think i'll wait until spring to think about it. i just can't tackle it right now,,, ack
#12 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 10:58 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
i'm with you on that laura!

i went from 153 to 197...not sure what i weighed at very end but probably 200. i can't believe my little body was that much...wow. so what is that...45 lb gain? no good in math but yeah i think thats the gain. today my tummy has gone down a LOT. probably also due to a lot of the water retention gone down...my ankles and feet don't look like miss piggy anymore since i woke up. and pooping is a bit better...no logs yet, still hard nuggets but at least it doesn't hurt as much and at least i'm not feeling constipated like i was...

but yeah...i think i am not going to be officially 'exercising' til a few months from now...too much to think about and walking is enough for me to wipe me out the next day. my MW is like : when i tell her how far i walk sometimes since having sheamas...i overdid it today i think...there are 21 buildings here in the resort i live in and i walked from one end to the other and back again. that is a lot of walking when i'm still feeling kind of in....pain. : my MW was like i know you want to get megh and yourself out there but if you could just lay low for another 5 days or so that'd be so much better for you...its so hard sometimes...i feel so spunky and today was like 55 degrees, it was so nice! i liked to get sheamas out in the sunshine too. he slept the whole time in the sling. cutie. so that is my form of exercise for now. i've never been in 'shape' though. i DO need some normie clothes though...i have none...maternity pants look so frumpy and i'm tired of them plus they won't stay up.

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#13 of 19 Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 AM

I gained 60 lbs or so and have only lost about 25 so far. And it's pretty hard to get out to the gym with both toddler and newborn to deal with.

Last time, by about 6 weeks, the weather had gotten decent and I was able to get out and about for walks. This time, hah! We are apparently about to have our coldest and harshest winter in 15 years so I don't know when I'll be out walking with the baby. And walking a lot every day is how I lost the weight last time.

I have started working out with weights and working the abs but that's limited to the few minutes a day I have when DD is coping by herself or asleep.

My eating habits aren't helping. I eat well during the day but once the kids are asleep I have irrational cravings for cookies or chips or jujubes or wine or hot chocolate or ice cream or - well, you name it and I eat it.

So my goal is to get the after bedtime eating under control and try to start taking a few walks with the kids once Mr S is a bit older and I feel a bit more comfortable with him in a carrier inside a jacket (I'm fine with him in a carrier right now, but since we'll be seriously bundled up I start to develop paranoid fears about him breathing when he's inside 7 layers of jacket).
#14 of 19 Old 12-05-2007, 01:56 PM

I gained about 60 pounds, and only 20 are gone so far. I feel huge. Will the weight really go away if I eat healthy?

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
#15 of 19 Old 12-05-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfastreader View Post
I gained about 60 pounds, and only 20 are gone so far. I feel huge. Will the weight really go away if I eat healthy?
Check out ways to jump start your metabolism like eating something healthy every morning instead of skipping breakfast. Eat healthy and get active. It's most likely got to be all of the above and not just one. Good luck!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#16 of 19 Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 AM

I'm 1 wk pp and I've dropped 20 of the 30 I gained. But I'd like be down to 30lbs lighter than my prepregnancy weight which means I have 40 more to lose. I 'm dying to just get out walking but haven't managed it yet. Heck I can't even get everyone fed and dressed before 10

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#17 of 19 Old 12-06-2007, 12:12 PM

Lindsy -- love -- all i am going to say is

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you are gonna make up all look bad.

You have 4 kids, what under 4, for sure under 5, you have twins and you are what maybe 8 weeks PP??????????????

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

go eat a big old cookie and tell people "I am nurseing twins" and SMILE

honestly i have been thinking about it -- more for mood control and snxiety help than weight loss (I am almmost to pre-p weight now, and mom and both sisters have told me not to get that thin again, I was 109 before i got pregant and i am 115 now, I was 134 the day i went to the hosptial......course due to water i came home weighting MORE than when i went into labor, so i want credit for loosing THAT weight too ...............) ....................... buttttttttttttttttttttttt I don't see how it can happne

my olnly option would be a DVD .. with Theo and Chalres (less daunting than Lindesy's 4 to be sure) ................... we are getting 6 to 12 inches of snow today, we have already been iced in once, we live 7 miles just from a park where i can walk, and can't do THAT winter time with the kids anyway ...............even if we join the Y like we talk about.. I might be willing to leaver T in child care there but NOT Charles ......

so i just don't see any options.

DH gets 3 to5 hours week -- on the clock to work out -- but that doesn't help me the MOMMA.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#18 of 19 Old 12-06-2007, 01:59 PM

I am about 8lb over pre-preg weight (4wks PP), but cant fit into crap as my hips have spread like the Red Sea. : I worked out through my pregnancy, and was at the gym the night before my water broke. My abs are just now coming together after a 2 inch parting during pregancy, but are wicked weak.

Now, I am so tired I just try to find the energy to go to the store..lol. I have gone to the gym twice this last week, and just lifted (no running). It felt GREAT, although I feel so weak.

My plan is to run for cardio, and try and condense my lifting into 3 trips to the gym weekly. My goal for today is actually to plan out new workouts for myself. However, I find myself sitting at the computer eating instead.....

I am lucky that DH and I met in the gym (I used to be a trainer full time, back in my glory days..) and are both gym rats...so we tend to schedule gym time like we do meals. (Cept minus all the chocolate I have been eating!)
#19 of 19 Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
Lindsy -- love -- all i am going to say is

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you are gonna make up all look bad.

You have 4 kids, what under 4, for sure under 5, you have twins and you are what maybe 8 weeks PP??????????????

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

go eat a big old cookie and tell people "I am nurseing twins" and SMILE

my olnly option would be a DVD .. with Theo and Chalres (less daunting than Lindesy's 4 to be sure)

I you, Aimee!

My only workout option is a DVD, too. I just can't really find the TIME to squeeze it in. I wish we could go outside for a walk, but we live in Ohio and winter has hit! We're also in the country, so I worry about Gabriel and Sophia walking along the side of the road (even though they'd hold on to the stroller).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page