Is Baby sleeping on belly or back? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I the only one who puts her baby to sleep on his belly once in a while? :

He just sleeps better that way. (If he sleeps at all.)

All our mattresses are 100% natural latex, so I'm not worried about off gassing or chemicals contributing to SIDS. But since we're all inundated with the "back to sleep" stuff, I can't help but feeling a little weird about putting him on his belly.

I just *need* him to sleep--I need to get homeschooling going again, cooking more often, cleaning once in awhile, etc. And it's so hard when he won't sleep alone. Putting him on his belly helps!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#2 of 21 Old 12-04-2007, 09:51 PM

i can't bring myself to but i know he would sleep better..sigh..
#3 of 21 Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM

my babe sleeps on her side although she generally rolls to her back at some point.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#4 of 21 Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 PM

Not yet with this LO...so far he'll sleep on me, or catnap in his bouncy seat, long enough that I can get a load of laundry put over or whatever. I used to nap Isaac on his belly when he was a bit older than Caleb is now. His bassinet was in the LR/DR combo room right next to the kitchen and in the middle of all the action. I could look in on him every 5 min plus it was always fairly loud there. I wouldn't nap one this young on their belly in another room by themself. It definitely helps when they nap for longer than two minutes at a time and some babies will only do that on their belly!
#5 of 21 Old 12-04-2007, 10:02 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
i can't bring myself to let sheamas (who is now 8 days old!!!) sleep on his belly (i'm a belly sleeper though myself...although have gotten used to side sleeping...sigh...hurts my hips though...man oh man) anyway......... i don't think any less of you for letting baby do that. cuz you are right there, right? i mean, you co-sleep? if you didn't i would not let him... the only time i let sheamas sleep on his belly was when he fell asleep while i was taking his rectal temp the other day...he looked so comfy i just let him stay there...he was on a thick comforter too! : i kept checking him often to make sure his face was to the side...

i swear i sleep w/ one eye open all the time to check often on my kids.

sheamas did a smile in his sleep today...omg was that precious!!!

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#6 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 01:21 AM

Well, I'll be the bad mommy: DS2 sleeps on his belly on a sheepskin during the day and on his side curled up next to me at night (makes nursing so much easier).

All 3 of my kids have been belly sleepers from day 1. And while I am well versed in the risks of belly sleeping, I feel comfortable doing it w/ my kids. I am hypervigilent about checking on them. DS2 sleeps in a mini co-sleeper during the day for naps and it's in the main living space of our apt, so I have an almost constant view of him. The few times I tried putting the other kiddos to sleep on their backs as babes, I was IMMEDIATELY met w/ a wide awake babe. I think that morrow reflex tends to wake them up more when they're on their backs.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#7 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorteep View Post
i can't bring myself to but i know he would sleep better..sigh..
Same here.

Babe sleeps on his side in one of those wedges.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#8 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 AM

Silas sleeps in his cradle for the first 2-3 hours of the night and that's usually on his back. Then when he wakes up he's in bed with me and I usually put him to sleep on his side for the rest of the night.

During the day he's usually asleep in the sling, although occasionally in the bouncy/vibrating seat so on his back for that.

I'm actually surprised by how well he does sleep on his back, but do notice that he sleeps even better on his side.
#9 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 AM

Caitlin is sooooo much like her older sister was--she won't sleep unless we are touching. The more we're touching, the better she sleeps. I try to have her sleep on her back in the crook of my arm, though she's much happier if I let her sleep on my chest, which we therefore do quite a bit.
#10 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 01:36 AM

Ellis has been sleeping on her belly since day one : ) I was worried about it a tad at first, but I am over it. She is totally fine and I have watched her sleep so I know she can move her neck from side to side (and does often) She sleeps in a pack-n-play bassinet next to our bed part time and one me or Dh the rest of the time. It truly is the only way she will stay asleep.

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#11 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Asher does co-sleep with us on his side or back for the night. It's during the day that I want to put him on his belly.

Nice to hear that I'm not the only one. Though, I put him on his belly last evening for a nap, and he woke up 10 minutes later. Like many others, he doesn't want to sleep unless he's on my warm body.

~Serina~

#12 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Piper sleeps with us eaither up on her back on a firm pillow right next to me or on my chest. I know that we should not use the pillow but she will NOT sleep flat??? She lkes to be up a little. During the day she sleeps up in her boppy in the pack and play. Our 2nd would only sleep in the carseat for 15 months! Sleep is very important. And I feel that if I am sleeping with her, I will be so in tune with her needs.
#13 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Hazel and Lucy are both belly sleepers. Gabriel and Sophia were, too. I fought Hazel and Lucy for the first 2.5 weeks sleeping on their backs/sides and it wasn't happening. They have excellent head and neck control and are able to pick up and turn their heads easily.

I do worry about it, but they sleep so much better that way.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#14 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Aayla sleeps on her back/side in her bassinet (with a warm water bottle for heat) and on her belly on me or my hubby. She's all about the warmth.
#15 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 01:44 PM

Delilah sleeps on her side facing me. We sleep exactly alike. My little clone lol

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#16 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 02:12 PM

Rohan sleeps on his back or side

Suzanne~ wife to Jesse, Momma to 3

#17 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lindsey*
They have excellent head and neck control and are able to pick up and turn their heads easily.
Yes, Asher, too. He's five weeks now, so our babies are older than many others on the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiMcC
with a warm water bottle for heat
What kind of water bottle do you use for this? Does it have a cover? I was thinking of getting hot water bottles for all three of my kids and making recycled wool covers for them for nighttime. Our house is *freezing*!

~Serina~

#18 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
Babe sleeps on his side in one of those wedges.
Actually, I should say he sleeps in a wedge for the first 1-4 hours then he's next to me on his back or side until morning.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#19 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Peri sleeps on her side or best yet on her tummy on my chest... which is where she is now. Pixie was the same...

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#20 of 21 Old 12-05-2007, 10:22 PM

Nayfe's a back sleeper. Aside from my eldest, who was always on her back in the NICU and so knew nothing else, Nayfe is my first back sleeper. The others woke up every time I'd put them down on their backs. Nayfe wakes up pissed off within two minutes if I put her on her belly She doesn't always want to be flat on her back; she likes to be a little propped.
#21 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Mairaed sleeps with us and we put her on her back but she inevitably ends up on her side, facing me. She seems to love to sleep in the boppy but we only allow that for a few minutes of her nap because she tends to flop sideways...

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page