nighttime fussiness...lets revisit UPDATED: HYPER LACTATION - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

since a few days ago, sheamas has been very fussy at dark-wakes too much for my liking all night long-i'm soooo tired. gripe water helps but not for long...as dors nursing-or paci-boiron homeopathic colic stuff..........i am right there by him...i just can't figure out what it is that is causing him to wake...and sometimes he will cry and cry and cry....sometimes its just a burp or he'll poop or til i nurse him again some more or walk around w/ him or whatever...i can't even go potty by myself anymore...i have to hold him and do the one armed peri squirting and wiping and pad attaching w/ him. i just don't get what could be going on. he sleeps most of the daytime away except to nurse, really-i can barely be w/ or there for megh cuz of this at bedtime. shes been so understanding. i'm exhausted. what do i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is this normal? i don't remember megh being fussy like this at night or for very long...for her it was just like a one moment deal and then it was over. for him its every night and throughout the night. i wonder if its the ibuprofen i'm taking. or the percoset i was on.i have vicodin now but i am not using it as i don't want that to be the culprit. so far, it doesn't seem to be as he still wakes and is upest. what is it? could it just be growth spurting? he dreams a LOT. makes sounds and movements in his face...maybe its nerves and just growth goin' on....big time....... ??? what do u mamas think?

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

nak...

well THIS may be my problemo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/toomuchmilk.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

i'll try these suggestions 'n see what happens............ :

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#3 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 12:29 PM

i have hyperlac and have with all three kids... i doubt he would sleep all day comfy if it was hyperlac but it is poss... the hallmark for my guys was very frequent watery or foaamy poop with crying and red butt.. if left goes to green diarrhea etc... a really strong let down and engorgement and copious leaking on non nursing breast also signs...

block nursing has worked well for me and pumping the 1st strong let down milk off.. i did 8 hr block then 7 hr block now am on 6 hr blocks now that i am down regulated

also reflux can give similar probs and i absolutely can not take motrin.. both me and my kids have major issues if i do

does he hiccup a lot??

gas?

dean is much better on block nurse and he got a constitutional homeopathic remedy.. he still has reflux pretty badly and is never laid down but rest is better.. still wakes every 1-2 hrs round clock and has about 3 2 hr awake phases where he pretty much has to be held/ carried the whole time

hugs right there with you on the high needs kid.. this is my 3rd !!
#4 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 01:17 PM

i'm having a similiar issue with mabel. she's ok during the day, but as soon as it's time to lay down for bed she gets fussy. i read somewhere that it could be all the stimulation during the day, and their system needs time to reset itself causing fussiness. i don't remember where i read this, but it makes sense around here...DS#1 is very active alert/spirited and that combined with our dog is chaos around here: i can't complain too much, DS was a huge handful compared to mabel:
#5 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 02:32 PM

This is my third baby as well and my third go round with hyper lac. I have found that the one sided nursing helps a lot. Hang in there Mama.. .

Jodie, married to my best friend and Mama to three amazing kiddos, Jack (6), Matthew (4) and Sam (21 months) and cautiously waiting for a new little one due early spring (shhh, it's a secret!)
#6 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Lis, after reading the first link you posted, it sounds like that's what's going on here too. Overactive letdown, fussy at night, gagging at letdown, coughing, constantly pulls off as soon as milk lets down only to be hosed down by my hyperactive boob etc, etc. I have been nursing on one side for a few hours then the other and it seems to help some. Let's hope those other tips help!
#7 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorteep View Post
i have hyperlac and have with all three kids... i doubt he would sleep all day comfy if it was hyperlac but it is poss... the hallmark for my guys was very frequent watery or foaamy poop with crying and red butt.. if left goes to green diarrhea etc... a really strong let down and engorgement and copious leaking on non nursing breast also signs...

block nursing has worked well for me and pumping the 1st strong let down milk off.. i did 8 hr block then 7 hr block now am on 6 hr blocks now that i am down regulated

also reflux can give similar probs and i absolutely can not take motrin.. both me and my kids have major issues if i do

does he hiccup a lot??

gas?

dean is much better on block nurse and he got a constitutional homeopathic remedy.. he still has reflux pretty badly and is never laid down but rest is better.. still wakes every 1-2 hrs round clock and has about 3 2 hr awake phases where he pretty much has to be held/ carried the whole time

hugs right there with you on the high needs kid.. this is my 3rd !!
yes, he hiccups often and gassy...gripe water seems to help w/ that...as for red bum and green or foamy poops, no he doesn't have that...he has the typical yellowish curdley poops...he doesn't spit up often at all...its rare. i have wondered about acid reflux...what are signs of that besides arching the chest out? motrin...tell me more. i've been taking this 800 mg. every 6 hours for my pain. i know this is NOT good for my body but nothing else helps. i have flu like aches all over my body sometimes...hormones? pain? i don't know but no fever. no mastitis. what is weird is sometimes it seems my boobs dry up soon esp at night the past few nights...waht is up w/ that? it isn't like he nurses great at night compared to his day nursing. he mostly sleeps during the day...he fussed last night from about 6pm til 11pm or so. after that he seemed better. i also held him in my arms which was different. maybe he needs to be closer to me than laying beside me. i have him in a maya wrap sling now. maybe i'll sleep w/ him at night in sling too. maybe its laying down that bugs him by night time...something that upsets his system/body by being in that position? hmmmmmmmm.

#8 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac'sMa View Post
Lis, after reading the first link you posted, it sounds like that's what's going on here too. Overactive letdown, fussy at night, gagging at letdown, coughing, constantly pulls off as soon as milk lets down only to be hosed down by my hyperactive boob etc, etc. I have been nursing on one side for a few hours then the other and it seems to help some. Let's hope those other tips help!
Wow, this sounds like me too. I had no idea. I knew I didn't have anything as badly as Laura (sorteep) but that info in the first link sounds like us. Just enough to notice a problem but it's manageable.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#9 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
Wow, this sounds like me too. I had no idea. I knew I didn't have anything as badly as Laura (sorteep) but that info in the first link sounds like us. Just enough to notice a problem but it's manageable.
Yes, exactly. Manageable, but noticeable. We've had two super foamy poops here this evening... and pretty much since day 2 or 3 he's had just a touch of redness around his bum-hole no matter what I clean him with (water, TTO and water, store bought wipes, Weleda cream etc) or how frequently I change his dipe. And he's hungry again!
#10 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

the nurse at the OB's office tells me to empty the breast w/ each feeding. even though i told her i think i'm hyper lactive (she's hyper lactive when she starts to dance...she's hyper lactive! she's hyper lactive! sorry...couldn't resist the pun) and that i'm doing blocks of hours on one breast...duh! i'm not emptying the breast w/ each feeding...sorry but ain't gonna happen. i'm not getting up at night to pump out each time. uh uh nope. not. gonna. do. it. obviously if i'm getting engorged, yah. i'll do that. but otherwise...NOT. i'm too exhausted just trying to manage 2 kiddos incl a newborn, and myself on my own here...but yeah i think that may be what's goin' on. sheamas has so far tonight been great...sleeping away as i type next to megh in bed as she watches scooby dooby dooooooo! we all took a bath together tonight. that was nice. now sheamas' hair is all nice and fluffy/fuzzy soft. god he's adorable.

#11 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalis View Post
the nurse at the OB's office tells me to empty the breast w/ each feeding. even though i told her i think i'm hyper lactive (she's hyper lactive when she starts to dance...she's hyper lactive! she's hyper lactive! sorry...couldn't resist the pun) and that i'm doing blocks of hours on one breast...duh! i'm not emptying the breast w/ each feeding...sorry but ain't gonna happen. i'm not getting up at night to pump out each time. uh uh nope. not. gonna. do. it. obviously if i'm getting engorged, yah. i'll do that. but otherwise...NOT. i'm too exhausted just trying to manage 2 kiddos incl a newborn, and myself on my own here...but yeah i think that may be what's goin' on. sheamas has so far tonight been great...sleeping away as i type next to megh in bed as she watches scooby dooby dooooooo! we all took a bath together tonight. that was nice. now sheamas' hair is all nice and fluffy/fuzzy soft. god he's adorable.
nooooo noooooo no pumping it makes it worse... i think she meant have baby empty each breast so they get hind milk.... try feeding off one side for six or seven hrs then switch sides.. you can pump off about 1-3 oz at switch time off the one he is about to feed on to decrease the foremilk but no other pumping right now.. ohh i have to write down times and sides or i forget...
#12 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 04:26 PM

DITO! Don't pump!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page