too early to go out into the world for LLL meeting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my little lady is nearly 12 days old now and i'm feeling like i need a little fresh air and community---i was thinking of heading out to my local La Leche League meeting this morning...

do you think it's too soon to risk exposing her to germs? should i just go for a walk in the neighborhood instead?

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
i dont' know the latest 'rule' for first taking our babies out into the world but i have taken sheamas out since like day 5 or so. i hate to do it but i have for meghs' sake so she could do her swimming lessons and ice skate lessons too. we have gone to the grocery store as well, and to a restaurant. so far so good. i don't think i took megh out that soon but i just am trusting sheamas will be just fine. i'd say go for it. its LLL and i would think that if anyone was sick and knew it they wouldn't go there and expose anyone to it. go for it!

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#3 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 02:25 PM

We've been out a few times (my guy is 3 1/2 weeks). I mostly just keep him in the moby to limit his exposure to other people.

I've been to 2 LLL meetings - one when he was just a few days old and I had a major engorgement problem. Be warned, all the toddlers will want to touch the baby. At least, that's what keeps happening to me. You can certainly tell them no, though, and I don't think any LLL mom would blame you. I say, go for it!
#4 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 02:27 PM

I took Silas to his first LLL mtg at 8 days & this was his 5th outing. He'd already been out shopping for groceries 3x & to potluck. I decided my sanity was more important than my very minor concern about germs. If your babe was full term & healthy, I would say go for it!
#5 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 PM

We went to the LLL meeting at day 12 too. It was fine!! They washed their hands between babies and the other moms didn't hold or touch other babies. Most of them didn't have other kids either

I've been concerned each time but have (in three weeks) been to the mall, stores, the school, etc. I HAVE to to function... It's a busy month and the first two weeks I could hide, but now it's all up to me.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#6 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 03:10 PM

I say go for it!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#7 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 03:21 PM

I'm pretty liberal about my kids and germs... but even if you are of the more careful ilk, it seems like the larger risk is playing pass the baby and actually having people handle and breathe on her. If she stays on your lap or in a sling, it should be fine.
#8 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks gang, i went and it was worth it, definitely. i kept her in the sling and she slept the whole time, but it was great to talk to people and get out in the fresh air...there's a potluck tomorrow, so if it doesn't rain i might head out to the park.

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page