Natural, breastfeeding safe treatments for light PPD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wrote this in another thread:

Last night was the first in 3 weeks that I almost broke down and cried [when Lach wouldn't go to sleep]. I have always stayed cheery about it all and enjoyed him -- even the hard stuff. But three weeks without much sleep is beginning to grind on me.

I'm hoping I am not headed to a PPD. My anxiety is way up. I was really awful to my kids yesterday [and a lot lately], been weepy about hubby's work schedule and almost lost it last night when Lach wouldn't sleep. Guess I better look into some help.

Feels like I was SO HAPPY the first 2 to 2.5 weeks and then suddenly hit the wall by the time he hit 3 weeks.

Anything you can recommend? I am too sensitive for most meds and should be able to do this naturally.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 04:27 PM

Gina, if this is the first time in 3 weeks that you have had a meltdown, then you are a PILLAR. I don't think you have PPD, for what it's worth. I dont have any suggestions (I take massive doses of Zoloft, which is probably not what you are looking for since you want a natural approach), but wanted to offer a and some encouragement.
#3 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 04:38 PM

I'm not sure you have PPD, either. We all have days like that! Taking care of a newborn (and 3 other kids) is a lot of work. And you are sleep deprived which is enough to make you crazy.

1500mg of fish oil a day is supposed to help, as well as b-6.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#4 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I hope you're both right!!

This is hard to admit because I stay "in the light" mostly...

I am prone to serious depression -- had it from age 15-26 years all the time, complete with self harm, addictions and suicidal ideation. I've had only situational depression from age 26-31. I've worked so hard...

I also had PPD with my first that bordered on PP psychosis and some PPD with my third. Not sure about DS2. My husband was worried this might happen so he's watching for signs. But it's funny what you can hide...

I am worried that having him in the fall/winter was a bad idea. The low light just kills me inside. It doesn't help that it's cold, dark and rainy this week. Hopefully that's all it is.

I've had melt downs with my husband, mother and kids. But no upset with Lachlan until this week. To the point where last night I had a couple of bad thoughts come thru my mind that reminded me of the past and it has scared me.

I have come from a very dark place in my life and want to stay in the light if you know what I mean. Anything I can do to ease these hormones, I need to start.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
#5 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 05:22 PM

It's probably just been one of those weeks for you. I agree icky weather really doesn't help.

But since you asked, here's a thread from the PPD forum on natural remedies.
#6 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 06:27 PM

I'm in the EXACT SAME place as you. Here's what I'm going to try:

*hauling my placenta out of the freezer and chowin' down
*upping my flax oil intake
*getting the girls out in the sunshine for some vitamin D

I'm so glad you posted something. There's nothing worse than feeling crappy AND alone.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#7 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 PM

I know what you mean about the season... both my babies have been fall babes and my husband and I have been wondering what it would be like to do all this in WARMTH and SUNLIGHT instead of cold and rain.

It's good that you and hubby are keeping an eye out. I think that is half the battle. I am prone to anxiety and depression also. With my first baby, I had appointments already set with my therapist and my med nurse to get evaluated 2-3 weeks post partum.

Maybe some light therapy and some exercise would help. Hang in there, and hopefully it's just momentary mommy blues.
#8 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I highly recommend fish oil, or if you can see a doc, they have prescription Omega 3 supplements now. Its not actualy indicated for depression yet, I don't think, but a lot of docs are wising up to the fact that Omega 3 does work quite well for a lot of people. Also, if you eat meat, you can cut red meat (omega 6) and start eating more fish and eggs (particularly Omega 3 eggs) instead.
I'd also think about getting some extra vitamin B-6 and magnesium.
#9 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

I can't do eggs (baby is sensitive to them) but I can try some of the other things. Though I've done Omega 3 before and didn't see a difference

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page