Help! Doc insists on Flu Shot today! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doc Wants all 5 of us to get the shot later today. We do not immunize but I do not want the Flu eaither. Doc said if baby gets it it will be very bad!! I heard that the Flu Shot can make you sick. We have a big weekend planned and we cannot afford to have sick childern. Got any facts on the shot or any advice?? Thanks!
#2 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 03:40 PM

NO NO NO NO NO!! The flu shot is not given to babies before 6 months!! It isn't licensed for use. The AAP recommends all caregivers and family members be vaxxed. But NOOOOO newborns http://www.aap.org/advocacy/washing/Flu_vaccine.htm

I think Dr Sears recommends 9 months. So the baby will be about 12 months before you will have to face this again.

Personally we do not do flu shots but I don't really have a reason other than preference. Of COURSE the doc is going to scare you about this. You might want to do so for you and partner, but I hesitate to do the shot for kids. I mean, for me I guess I know if you're healthy, the flu isn't devestating. Maybe I am wrong...

Check out the vaccination board on MDC.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#3 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 03:41 PM

we don't do flu shots. this is not THE reason why we don't (i have a few), but a friend of ours got one 2 years ago and ended up being REALLY sick and in the hospital. i would just suggest washing hands a lot, avoid rubbing your eyes, and take vit c and echinacea during flu seasons...also ermergen-c works wonders when avoiding sickness. sambucal for kids works GREAT too!
#4 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I guess I was not clear. Sorry. The doctor wants all BUT the baby to get immunized. So no, not Piper. She is too young.
#5 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybytheWord View Post
Ok I guess I was not clear. Sorry. The doctor wants all BUT the baby to get immunized. So no, not Piper. She is too young.
Oh! Whew. I was going to suggest you fire that quack. But I'm the one that can't count

So maybe you and partner if you're worried, but I don't do flu shots for any of us. No reasons needed in my mind - I just say, "No, we don't do them."

Easier said than done sometimes I know, but I am getting better at it!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#6 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 PM

If you normally don't vax, I really wouldn't do this one. Last I read, the flu shot was the only vax that could still contain that mercury preservative, shoot I can't remember the name but YKWIM, right?

Anyway we don't do flu shots, I think they are a bunch of hype. I got one every year from when I was about 13-23 and was so proud that I never got the flu... then I haven't gotten one since and I have still never gotten the flu. Nor have my kids, even the ones bringing nasty germs home from school. I think hand washing is much easier and just as preventative, personally, and we do emergen-c and airborne whenever we feel like we might be coming down with something.
#7 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 04:00 PM

you can totally refuse, and your dr should respect that. he's not the boss of you!

there are mercury free flu shots available - ds & i got these since we're in very flu conducive environments. both of us were 100% fine afterwards, not sick or even sore at the injection site.

HTH.
#8 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adon View Post
sambucal for kids works GREAT too!
Heh, I read this too quickly and thought you said Sambuca works great for kids, as in the anise-flavored liquer.

I'm going to adon's house next time I feel sick!

OP: you say you don't immunize, so why would the flu shot be any different? I know it's anecdotal, but the only time I got the flu was the year I got the shot.

DS (2) and someone new in March 2011
#9 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 04:41 PM

I wouldn't get it for any of you. I do not think the flu vaccines prevents flu.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#10 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 04:43 PM

I definately wouldn't.
#11 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

We homeschool, and my boys get good sleep. The one year that DH got the shot he got the flu?? So he would rather not get it.
#12 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 07:43 PM

Dh used to (have to) get the shot while he was in the Army. was sick as a dog every year for 3 months after the shot. He hasn't gotten anything worse than a bad cold since then. I never had the shot, I never had the flu. We believe in washing hands and staying away from sick people.
So your doc "insists", huh? So what?????
#13 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 08:37 PM

flu shots contain mercury.. big no.. they are avail w/o but most places don't have them .. total deal breaker.. you can say no,, they can't make you..hugs
#14 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 PM

oscillococcinum by boiron at 1st sign of anything is great to treat too

check www.909shot.com for thimerosal (mercury) content of all shots.. a lot of travel vaxes and adult preps and immunoglobulins still contain hg.. tetanus adult prep too..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page