Why did I have a baby in November??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I love all of my fellow DDC mamas but whose bright idea was it to have a baby in NOVEMBER?????

I had some PPD with DD & also have some seasonal affective disorder & having a newborn just as it gets cold & snowy & darker & darker is NOT helping these things.

It's minus 33 with the windchill & snowing constantly these days so I'm not getting outside for walks with the kids & likely won't be until March:

DD is sick so I haven't made it out to playgroup for a while. She is getting bored of our house & I am going stir crazy.

I keep thinking that in that in 14 more days it will start getting lighter in the evening ... as I watch the sun set at 4:30. By the end of Jan maybe it'll be light til 5??

How am I going to survive the next 3 months of winter? Possibly 4 since we are due to have our coldest, harshest winter in 15 years according to meteorologists.

One thing I do know - gotta plan next baby better - a late Feb/early March baby would be ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 12:27 AM

I also have SAD and it had gotten significantly better since moving here from NY but now that I am postpartum, I am feeling it, big time.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#3 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 02:58 AM

I posted this earlier in Gina's thread, but hubby and I have been talking about what it would be like to do all this newborn stuff when it's not dark and cold and rainy.... Dylan was an autumn baby too. We are also pretty far north, and will be down to about 7 hours of daylight soon. I'm also counting down until the solstice and the lengthening days.

Fortunately it seems like the older I get, the faster time passes and the shorter winter seems.
#4 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 03:04 AM

I'm sorry your having a rough time. Why don't you come down to Florida? Today was 79 F. You could sit at the beach.... Me thinks you need to take a vacation.
#5 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 03:11 AM

After having a December baby we planned for this one to come in the spring. I too have SAD and it's pretty dark and gloomy here in the Pacific Northwest. We plan a vacation for February to somewhere warm. If you can afford it, I say hit the sun. It's what keeps me going in the winter.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#6 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

A vacation somewhere warm sounds ideal. I'm going to talk to DH and see if he's willing to consider it. Unfortunately he has no more vacation time til April but maybe he can borrow some from next year.

Florida or the Caribbean or Hawaii all sound lovely. I'd really like to go to New Zealand to visit my brother but taking two kids on the plane to NZ doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
#7 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 11:28 AM

i'm sorry... i have all 3 winter babe's too, yuck..i hear the full spectrum hi lux lites help a lot for sad... happylite makes one thru gaicam ??
#8 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 PM

I'm sorry that you are all dealing with this. I've been thinking about it too, even though baby is not here--at first it seemed like having a warm snuggly newborn in the winter would be so cozy compared to my summer babies where I was trying to carry them all the time and constantly sweating from their heat. But now that it is actually cold and snowy and I am housebound with my DCs a lot more, I'm wondering how we will survive the winter at all! I didn't think it would be sooo bad here in the MW where we live but I think I was wrong. Good luck to all of us!
#9 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 12:30 PM

It's really hard. We're in Ohio and have 3 inches of snow on the ground now. It's too cold for us to get outside and my older kiddos are going stir crazy. We're big outdoor people...I always feel so much better after I've been out of these 4 walls.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page