Mothering Forum banner

baby in fetal position

687 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  GinaRae 
#1 ·
Mairaed still has her little legs curled up tightly unless it is when she is kicking like a madwoman while getting changed. Or sticking her foot in her poopy diaper.
Should I be doing any little exercises with her to get her legs straightened out a bit? Unbeknownst to me, she is starting to get too long for her newborn size stuff! She stuck her legs straight the other day for a second and I thought she was going to pop out the feet...
: we have so much cute 0-3 month stuff, I can't wait till she is in it!

See less See more
#2 ·
It's common for infants to reflexively curl into the fetal position - it's one of their "survival" reflexes, and a comfort to them. I wouldn't worry about it or try to force her to stop.

#5 ·
Our pede actually mentioned that this is one of the indicators of muscle strength that they look for at this stage... how tightly their little limbs are held to their body. So maybe Mairaed is just very strong...
Conrad it pretty tightly wound too, but I remember Dylan being floppy and stretchy.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlita View Post
Our pede actually mentioned that this is one of the indicators of muscle strength that they look for at this stage... how tightly their little limbs are held to their body. So maybe Mairaed is just very strong...
Conrad it pretty tightly wound too, but I remember Dylan being floppy and stretchy.
Well, I am floppy...
Mairaed is wicked strong. She picks her head right up and loves to bonk me in the face with it. And she kicks like a looney! Good info...

#8 ·
So normal and SO CUTE and I wish it wouldn't stop! I love him all curled up in a ball. YUMMY. He's 4 weeks Thursday and already losing a bit of the curl. Waaahhhhh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.