Mothering Forum banner

Favorite baby gear?

1K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  isosmom 
#1 ·
Just wondering- what gear are you loving right now? I have been discovering what we can't live without. Mainly the boppy- I LOVE IT. We are currently sleeping on the futon so I stick the boppy on it, put DD in it, and she is quite content and it gives my arms a rest. I lay with her and write out bills, read, etc and she is quite content.

Also we just got a papasan swing thing for her- the fisher price one and she LOVES it. She will not let us put her down at all unless it is in the swing. We have the papasan vibrating chair too but she will only stay in that for 10 minutes tops. Plus the music on the chair makes me cry for some reason... she is funny in the swing because the music is on a timer and she screams when it stops.

See less See more
#4 ·
Maybe I'll have to give the Moby another try. It takes me so long to get the darn thing on that Jamie's mad as a wet hen by the time I get him in there and screams until I take him out...

I also LOVE the infant seat with clip in base. This is the first time I've had one of these, and it's so nice not to have to put the LO in an icy seat.

My two favorite things du jour are the Amby swing and the white noise machine. The two of them together make for nice long naps -- like right now, I have two hands on the keyboard. Whahoo!

#7 ·
Oh- I forgot about our Moby! I have not used it in a couple of days... but I do love it. I do find it hard to do the chores I need to do when using it- I like it for vacuuming but everything else I like to put the baby in her swing for, like washing dishes and cleaning the counter.

#9 ·
Fuzzi Bunz!! SO much easier and less harsh on his sensitive skin than Kissaluvs and prefolds. Easier on my husband too.

Papasan vibrating chair.

Lansinoh.

The spectacular boobtaculars.

A big bed.

A Christmas tree with twinkling lights that he's beginning to appreciate.

My other kids! They help me SO much. They're more of a pain than anything, of course, but they ARE helpful too.

#10 ·
This year we wound up with christmas lights that don't flash... I thought the box came with that one thingie that makes the lights flash. We showed DD the tree and she could not care less about the lights.. I bet if they were flashing she would be a bit more intrigued. Lesson learned...

#12 ·
boppy!! I'm on my 3rd boppy in 2 kids LOL

bouncer... somewhere soft to lay DS while he's sleeping and I'm at the computer.. or by the table while we eat... or in the bathroom while I shower
totally elimates the need for a monitor since he's nearby if he wakes up

my mei tai's and ring slings!!

#13 ·
Boppy for nak'ing (like right now)

Amby (one of our best investments, I agree, we get nice long naps!!!)

Baby monitor so I can get stuff done during those nice long naps

Ring sling and KKAFP

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
This year we wound up with christmas lights that don't flash... I thought the box came with that one thingie that makes the lights flash. We showed DD the tree and she could not care less about the lights.. I bet if they were flashing she would be a bit more intrigued. Lesson learned...
Oh, don't worry, I am just delusional. I sit him in the papasan in front of the tree and as he stares at nothing I get to say, "Aren't you so clever, staring at those twinkly lights!"

#17 ·
Well, I am enjoying the many many carriers I have purchased over the period of time I"ve had DD and really really enjoying announcing to DH which ones I used on any particular day.

I have about 15 different ones and I've used 8 so far with Silas, sometimes he wants certain positions that I find easier in one than in another. We've used Ring slings, pouches, Mai Tais, stretchy wrap and my Ergo. No woven wraps yet, but soon.

My mother got us a bouncy vibrating seat and it's great for bath time because he hangs out in it while DD and I bathe (yes, I do bath and bed time routine pretty much on my own with both kiddos).

And I'm trying out the boppy but not finding it works very well. He seems really low still. Granted I can now type two handed while nursing but I'm hunched over in an uncomfortable position and it feels like he's pulling on the boob. I do have ridiculously small boobs though, so perhaps that's the problem?

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by renaissanceed View Post
And I'm trying out the boppy but not finding it works very well. He seems really low still. Granted I can now type two handed while nursing but I'm hunched over in an uncomfortable position and it feels like he's pulling on the boob. I do have ridiculously small boobs though, so perhaps that's the problem?

I have the same problem with the Boppy and I end up hunched over a lot-not great for the back! I could easily put at least another pillow under the boppy and maybe that would help?

#20 ·
LOVING MY MOBY!! Seriously, I could not live without this. He sleeps in it for hours at a time and I can get things done. I can read and snuggle and pick up ds1 with the Moby on. It's unbelieveable. I never thought I'd say this, but it's better than my ergo! (Cheaper, too!
) I tried one of the knock-offs sold at BRU but it had way too much stretch so I was skeptical about the Moby. After hearing so many mamas here rave about their Moby, I bought one and now...well...I'm in love!

#21 ·
I would like to try a Moby but it looks SO difficult. Wonder if it would be big enough for me...

Also I looked in Target for Soothies and couldn't find them...

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
I would like to try a Moby but it looks SO difficult. Wonder if it would be big enough for me...

It's hard to imagine a woman of any size whom the Moby wouldn't fit -- it is really big. I have to wrap it around a couple of times at the end to take up the slack, and there's still extra after I tie it. That's at least 30-36 extra inches on top of my 28 inch waist, so it should fit a waist well into the 50s (possibly 60s) even accounting for larger breasts (though mine are an F cup, so not too many bigger than me
).

It's really not hard to use, either -- once you get it down the first time, every time after that is easy. It took me under five minutes to learn. It helps if you have someone else show you, though. The instructions are good, but not as good as a real person, IMO.

I have also looked high and low for Soothies with no success, despite many recommendations from local friends. I will have to ask them where they're shopping.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post

I think it would be plenty big actually. You can tie it behind your waist or in front so it would probably work for you. You can also leave it on for running errands etc. I had it on for a few hours the other day, just pop him in and out to get in his car seat and onto the next errand. So it's not like you have to re-tie it every time...It was a little hard the first few times, but not bad now (keep in mind I've only had the thing for a few days!)

I found Soothies at BRU. If you can't find them anywhere let me know and I can pick some up and you can send PP...

#24 ·
My boppy. I could not live without it.

And (soon) the bouncy seat. We have a swing from James...but she's not 'in love' with it...I was at my girlfriends yesterday and put DD in her bouncy seat (the same one we got Dria it's under our Christmas tree) and she loved it, just sat there, occasionally reached up and hit the toys...it was great.

My swaddle blanket...it netted me 3.5 whole hours of sleep last night!

#26 ·
Have you guys checked Baby Depot at Burlington Coat Factory for soothies? I haven't looked specifically for them since I don't need them, but they seem to have every baby/nursing product under the sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.