vit d for winter babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone is going to give their Nov baby vit D? And if so, what type? They gave me some at WIC because we have so little sunlight up here in the winter and said vit d doesn't transfer through breast milk well. Then I found this article and I'm still pondering if I should give it to her or try cod liver oil or just bm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 12:35 AM

I'll check out the article... our ped recommended Trivisol, so we have that but keep forgetting to give it to him
#3 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 01:38 PM

i take 1,000 iu of vit d3 daily.. i think that is ok,,,,, will check out supp baby tho.. thanx
#4 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm glad you brought this up. Our pediatrician reccomended we give the baby vitamin D drops. This just made me grouchy that he's implying that breastmilk alone isn't enough for my baby. Or.. it could have been my hormones making me grouchy.

Either way, I was put off by the whole thing but was planning to look into it. Where do you get Trivisol? My DH thinks I'm nuts, but I always get a bit squeemish about putting anything foreign into my baby's body...
#5 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 02:38 PM

Our ped also recommended vitamin D since Noah's a winter baby and won't get much sunlight. We bought something called Poly-Vi-Sol at a drugstore (we bought a name brand, but there was also a store brand). Noah hates it! The first time he was ok, just got a little grumpy, but now he really gets upset. We try to give it to him about 2 times per week, right before the bath. It's so smelly and he spits a bunch of it up, so the bath time is best. I don't know how much longer we'll bother, though. I'd rather just sit by the sunny window in the afternoon that deal with the smell and whining.

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)
#6 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 02:56 PM

you could always try to sun baby next to window. just like if you were doing it for jaundice. mabel loves being naked in the sun. and it is cold here. i just go into one of the smaller rooms and shut door and turn up heat while we are in there.
#7 of 10 Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM

i also supp vit a and k too so i think i am ok but will definitely do the sun thing... thanks forposting this..
#8 of 10 Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmountainmomma View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. Our pediatrician reccomended we give the baby vitamin D drops. This just made me grouchy that he's implying that breastmilk alone isn't enough for my baby. Or.. it could have been my hormones making me grouchy.

Either way, I was put off by the whole thing but was planning to look into it. Where do you get Trivisol? My DH thinks I'm nuts, but I always get a bit squeemish about putting anything foreign into my baby's body...
This is exactly how I feel. I would go with sun baths, but it's so weak up here right now. She's 6 weeks now and they said to add it between 6-8 weeks so I have to decide soon. I guess I'll ask my mw on Thursday.

WIC gave me mine, but I'm sure you could buy it at a pharcy.
#9 of 10 Old 12-23-2007, 08:49 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html

Most babies don't need supplements. The amount of exposure the babe will get doing normal things, like riding a car, being carried to a car, the mailbox, sitting by a window, etc is enough. There are a few exceptions. It lays it out very well.

Sarah
aspiring midwife Mama to Declan - 7/14/00 and Bastian - 11/20/07.
#10 of 10 Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but glass blocks the kind of UV that is needed to create Vitamin D so sitting next to a sunny window doesn't work.

I think I'm going to get some Vitamin D supplements as well, my breastfeeding book reccommends it for winter babies.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page