I'm a bad, bad mama... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-18-2007, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm allowing my 2 year old dd to rub weleda diaper cream into my 2 week old baby's hair...

Why? you ask...

Because she's being gentle...and it's a better than watching her remove all the clothing from our wardrobe...or having to nurse her again for the 700th time...

He doesn't seem to mind...he's working on breaking a world record for continuous breastfeeding...:
#2 of 16 Old 12-18-2007, 11:18 PM

Well, I actually can see absolutely nothing wrong with that! I let my almost two year old beep the baby's nose about 50 times a day. It entertains her, it moderately entertains him and it occupies about 2 minutes of time.
#3 of 16 Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 PM

i think you're both just fine...

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#4 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 AM

Hmmm...I sometimes set my girls up on the couch with they boppy and they "hold" baby Piper and I can actually get things done, like switch laundry loads, or take something hot out of the oven (things that are harder to do one handed holding or slinging a baby).

And I totally agree with Lindsey!

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#5 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 01:15 AM

lmao! I think thats awesome......you's a bad mama as in good mama!!!!
#6 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 AM

Hey, no harm, no foul. No one is getting hurt. Sometimes I let Dylan do ridiculous, messy things because it's just not a battle that I want to fight that particular day. Like the day I let him play in the game cabinet and he got out every single dice, domino, and game piece. And was entertained for a half hour while I nursed Conrad!

Weleda is good stuff. I bet Olorun's scalp will be invigorated and healthy and moist.
#7 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlita View Post
Weleda is good stuff. I bet Olorun's scalp will be invigorated and healthy and moist.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
#8 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
we mamas are all so much alike. i don't think i'd allow megh to do this, per say, ONLY because i had a HORRIBLE experience as a 14.5 yo when my neighbor 'friend' (who was a back stabber) put vaseline in my hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was so hard to get out. i can't remember the remedy my mom and i came up w/ after calling around various hair salons, etc. but man, that was horrible. the kinda good thing (maybe it isn't good) that came of that though was meeting a VERY HOT guy who lived next door to my neighbor in the summers...he was 18. i was...ahem...14.5yo. you can figure the rest. sigh..................................

i have yet to try weleda baby stuff. i've put A&D on sheamas when he had some raw areas and that worked real well. but i'd love to use a more natural remedy.

i bet your dd had a blast. go mama!

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#9 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 03:45 PM

well, i can relate. a few of the things i've done....orien has found yarn and done laps around the house with it. unraveling it and wrapping it around everything from kitchen, hallway, living room and bathroom! also, i give him a spray bottle with water in it and let him go town on all the windows....lol

if it gives me a few minutes, i'll deal w/ mess later
#10 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 PM

You mamas must be lucky as I can not let my 2 year old any where near baby. He just is not at all soft with her or anything. So different from our oldest even when she was his age. He is rough and tumble boy thats for sure. I actually fear for baby because of him. I love him so very much but he is a lot of work. For once I am happy is not still nursing. I would be nuts!

You all sound like your doing wonderfully to me. Do what works!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#11 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 05:41 PM

Yeah, I let DD1 make dry cat food piles all up and down our back hallway (it's not carpeted). As long as none of it went in her mouth, I figured it was keeping her happy. That bought me 45 minutes of time. 45!!! Cat food!!! That's why I don't buy toys.

(Is cat food made in China?)

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#12 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 06:08 PM

my new mantra is whatever works....do what you need to survive!
#13 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post

It miught be, but i'm pretty sure there isn't any lead in its paint...
#14 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
Yeah, I let DD1 make dry cat food piles all up and down our back hallway (it's not carpeted). As long as none of it went in her mouth, I figured it was keeping her happy. That bought me 45 minutes of time. 45!!! Cat food!!! That's why I don't buy toys.

I've let DS1 play with his digger toys in our big bin of dog food. Its great entertainment and it gives me a break too!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#15 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 10:54 PM

These are great stories! You have all given me some great ideas. .

The other day the boys played a game that involved taking all of the dining chairs, stools, and assorted odds and ends they could find and lined them all up about the house to make a 'gate' so the ten pound chihuahua couldn't get through. Didn't work, but it did give me half an hour of quiet time to nurse the baby.

Oh, and sometimes my oldest likes to play a game where he makes a 'cage' out of furniture and puts his younger brother in there . Funny part is that DS2 thinks its great and actually asks to be caged (he pretends he's our pet hamster.)

Jodie, married to my best friend and Mama to three amazing kiddos, Jack (6), Matthew (4) and Sam (21 months) and cautiously waiting for a new little one due early spring (shhh, it's a secret!)
#16 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 11:44 PM

all your houses sound like so much fun--great parenting udeas for when Anja gets a sibling...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page