Remind me, what can a 7 week old see?? *UPDATE POST 17* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sam will be 7 weeks tomorrow. From the onset, DH has said to me that he doesn't think that he is seeing well. I kind of fluffed it off, as he is so new I don't really expect him to see much. Anyway, Sam was at the pedi for some skin issues the other day (turned out to be nothing) and I asked the DR to look at his eyes. It seems to DH that Sam just looks right through us and doesn't really focus at all on our faces -even from like a foot away. Well, the DR kind of thought the same thing as DH did. He turned off all the lights to see if Sam could follow his little flashlight thing. . . he didn't. Over the past few days I have really tried to get his attention to see if he will look at me and he really doesn't. Many times he looks away or above me. The DR said to wait till he comes back at about ten weeks as most babies should be really interested in things at that point. He hasn't smiled at all yet either.

Just wondering what you Mamas are seeing. I wouldn't be so concerned except that I was DX with Lyme Disease in the third trimester and have read that can cause some types of blindness. . . .

Jodie, married to my best friend and Mama to three amazing kiddos, Jack (6), Matthew (4) and Sam (21 months) and cautiously waiting for a new little one due early spring (shhh, it's a secret!)
#2 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM

That's got to be scary mama. I hope everything turns out to be okay. Piper has focused on my face from birth. She seems to be able to see things that are several feet away, like when I stand a few feet from the t.v. or Christmas tree, she will focus in on them (though I'm sure it's still a bit fuzzy for her at that distance.) When my mom is holding her and she hears my voice, she will start turning her head and scanning the room to find me. She's been smiling for awhile, and is definitely tracking (following my face when I move from side to side).

I do hope that if Sam has any vision problems that they are correctable. I'm sure that the earlier you catch it, the better for outcomes, so it's good that you're so on top of this mama.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#3 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Alisha for the reply. The more I think about it, the more something does seem off to me. My youngest is only 2.5, but I could not for the life of me remember what he was doing at this age.

Yeah, Sam doesn't do any of that. I mean I get right in his face and talk to him and he looks off to the side. And he doesn't track anything.

Jodie, married to my best friend and Mama to three amazing kiddos, Jack (6), Matthew (4) and Sam (21 months) and cautiously waiting for a new little one due early spring (shhh, it's a secret!)
#4 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 10:51 AM

I'm just going to ditto everything Alisha said, her description of Piper is the same of my two girls.

Please keep us updated on your little guy.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#5 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 11:09 AM

many hugs..

dean is tracking ok but my evan did not and was similar to how you describe sam... i had some viral exposure at abt three mos pg... herpes class (CMV) which might be a little like lyme... was your lyme contracted while pg or just dx then as chronic?

evan sees fine but does (did?) have developmental issues..sorry this is prob not helping your worry.. but it pays to be right on top of things as you are..

for lyme... if you are interested a product called sammento is really great.. also toa-free cat's claw and an electro treatment callec Rife... can buy both products retail not mlm.... rife is hard to find .. kinda underground alt med.. works well tho!!

many prayers.. keep us posted
#6 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions and replies Mamas.

I contracted Lyme while I was pregnant. . had the bullseye rash, sore neck and positive blood test. I was about 34-36 weeks and went to get treatment as soon as I noticed the rash. Praying he is just slow in developing, but we are trying to get an appointment with a pedi eye doctor as I type this. Thank God Dh has great insurance.

#7 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Hugs and prayers, Mama.
#8 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Peace and blessings mama....thinking of you!
#9 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers everyone. We are waiting on a call back for an appointment with the eye DR (computers were down, ). They think they may be able to get him in before the holiday but have to see. I will keep you all posted. .

#10 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
hugs jodie. hopefully baby has not been affected by the lyme.

as far as sheamas...he is now 3 wx old and is increasingly more and more alert. he doesn't track but definitely looks around at lights, shapes or whatever. he likes the tv. he turns his head towards meghs' voice. he is looking at my face more but i don't think he sees much or very clearly. i was told that until about 4 mos. or so they see kinda like they have vaseline smeared over glasses. i don't know if its that long...we shall see. i think every baby is truly different and we need to remember not to box them into one 'norm' or 'average'. although there are some norms to development...and in your case there may be something going on from the lyme disease... keep us posted. hang in there.

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#11 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 03:16 PM

dbl post...oops
#12 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 03:19 PM

s I hope it's nothing, but you're smart to follow your instincts and I'm *so* happy that if something is a bit off you've caught it early. s

My baby is 6 wks and he seems most interested in faces, will track (but slowly) and likes to look at shadows (like high contrast shadows where the streetlight peeks through the cracks in our curtain at night, FE)

Also, I'm not sure where to find info on Lyme and pg, but it seems like 34-36 wks is kinda late to affect baby's vision, aren't the opening their eyes at like 20 weeks? Which would seem to me that vision is at least crudely developed by then. I really hope so...
#13 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 PM

Libby is 5 weeks and has been looking at me when eating since birth. she does track at about a foot away and she tries to look for me when Daddy is holding her and she hears me but I do not think she can see me as she does not lock on. I checked this after I read your post to make sure. I also called my mother as she had said I had issues like this as a baby and I wanted to see what it was as she does has lime and has for as long as i cam remember. (We all got tested for it actually)

Anyway, she said that my dad thought I was blind as a baby but she never worried, I was slow in many things it turns out, and other then needing glasses, I am wonderful.

I hope your little one is too!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#14 of 29 Old 12-19-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Awe, thanks again mamas for all the kind thoughts and info. We have an appointment for tomorrow morning so I will post an update in the afternoon. I was a bit encouraged tonight as we had the kids dancing around after dinner and the baby was in his bouncy seat watching us. He did seem to follow them a bit. . almost like he could see more at a further distance than he can up close. Ten minutes earlier I had him on the changing table and was face to face with him and all I got was a blank stare. I too, am a strong believer in everyone developing at their own special pace. . . both of my other DCs have been slow to develop in other areas, but have turned out wonderfully in the long run.

#15 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 AM

jodie,
most babies should be able to track by 7 weeks, but not ALL typically-developing children will do it at this stage. i don't love that he's not doing it--it makes me uneasy and I definitely think you're doing the right thing by getting him checked, but keep in mind that he could just be taking his time in this area of development. dd1 did this with speech--scared the life out of me for a while. now i can't shut her up.
#16 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I *SO* hear you!! My oldest didn't say a word till he was 3, now he talks all the time, lol. Praying this little one is just a tad behind as well. .I will update soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googy View Post
jodie,
most babies should be able to track by 7 weeks, but not ALL typically-developing children will do it at this stage. i don't love that he's not doing it--it makes me uneasy and I definitely think you're doing the right thing by getting him checked, but keep in mind that he could just be taking his time in this area of development. dd1 did this with speech--scared the life out of me for a while. now i can't shut her up.

#17 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to let everyone know that Sam is FINE and there seems to be nothing wrong with his sight. They did a complete eye exam on him and can find no issues. We go back in four months for a recheck, but my mind is much more at ease. She said having lyme so late in the pregnancy would not have effected his sight. So, breathing a big sigh of relief here. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and advice, I appreciate it!

#18 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 PM

great news!!! for the record my guy is basically fully recovered from his autism so it is amazing how far kids can come even with idiosyncratic starts..
#19 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 06:02 PM

That's wonderful news Jodie!
#20 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 06:39 PM

:
#21 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Yay! That's wonderful news!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#22 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 07:23 PM

I read somewhere years ago that when a baby looks away or around you it's because they're a little over stimulated. My mom's worried because my nephew looks past/away... but perhaps she is just overwhelming... and t 4-5 months, he's reaching for the dog. Just not for the grandma

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#23 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
I read somewhere years ago that when a baby looks away or around you it's because they're a little over stimulated. My mom's worried because my nephew looks past/away... but perhaps she is just overwhelming... and t 4-5 months, he's reaching for the dog. Just not for the grandma

Gina this *cracked* me up. . mostly because my very over bearing MIL is coming in a few days to see the baby for the first time and I can so see this happening. Thanks for the laugh.

#24 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 10:06 PM

Jodie, GREAT news!! Whst a relief!
#25 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 PM

I am so relieved! Great news!!!
#26 of 29 Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas, you guys are the best!

#27 of 29 Old 12-21-2007, 09:19 AM

Jodie, I'm so glad to hear that nothing is wrong with his eyes! That's wonderful news!!!

I was talking with my mom about your little guy and she asked if his hearing has been checked, since he would be less likely to focus on you all if he couldn't hear you. Don't all babies have a hearing check at birth?

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#28 of 29 Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 AM

My nephew was the same way. My family always said that boys were just like that. I notice that my DS is the same way, while DD focused and wanted constant eye contact from day one. My DS likes it sometimes, but not nearly as much. I've also noticed that my DD was a lot more verbal than my DS. Just a thought, maybe it's a gender thing.
#29 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 AM

I "knew" it would be fine. LOL Happy to hear it though!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page