how to treat thrush in newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i think mabel may have thrush. can i take acidipholis to treat HER?? will it go thru my BM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 06:39 PM

Gentian violet works well.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 PM

You should probably take acidophilus to keep yourself from getting it. You can buy infant probiotics to treat her directly. Probiotics wind up in your gut and don't (as far as I know) wind up in your milk.

You can also apply a solution of grapefruit seed extract (5-10 drops per ounce of water) after each feeding. (wet a cotton pad or thin washcloth and then swab her tongue)

We are battling thrush right now. No fun. Hope the simple stuff works for you. There are a lot of resources online -- especially at www.breastfeedingonline.com
Old 12-21-2007, 03:19 AM

I just went and got the diflucan. I am a candida farm and after the abx's during Bear's birth I was sure cwe would get it. Of course it waited for X-mas. Uhggh, my nipples are on fire and my mouth feels like a carpet. I'm not messing with this stuff.

Becky married to Dave with our sons Davey(6), Beren(3), an Angel, and Seifer(11 m)
Old 12-21-2007, 02:29 PM

We're both on diflucan, too. Hoping this kicks it... the "Battling Thrush" thread on th BFing board scares the bejesus out of me.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:50 PM

I used the genetain violet for a week with no results other than a purple mouth for ds and purple nipples for me. I got grapefruit seed extract in capsules and dissolved it in warm water and swabbed my nipples and ds's mouth after every feeding and in 3 days, it's gone! I also started talked the GSE orally myself along with a high potentcy probiotic capsule.

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
Old 12-21-2007, 09:05 PM

diflucan here as well.

I was really struggling with thrush, but so far H is looking good. I was doing vinegar washes, etc, but, I started getting a vag infection as well, and decided it was too systemic for me to handle anymore. That and the bleeding I was just mentally done and got a script. I'm giving him about a 1/3 of a capsule of acidophil on my finger with a bit of water. GSE is on my list to get, I just haven't gotten to the HFS yet.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlita View Post
We're both on diflucan, too. Hoping this kicks it... the "Battling Thrush" thread on th BFing board scares the bejesus out of me.
Oh my God after reading that board I just decided it wasn't even worth trying to fight it. I could not picture months with this like some of the Mom's there. WARNING do not read that thread.

Becky married to Dave with our sons Davey(6), Beren(3), an Angel, and Seifer(11 m)
Old 12-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Yeah, I was having some SERIOUS anxiety attacks from reading it...

User Tag List