Any other dads out there co-sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-01-2004, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im not looking for a cure for no sleep and work the next day, just wondering about other dads views on this subject

i work 40 miles away, and have to get up around 6 everyday so i can be awake and not fall asleep while going to work. the only complication to cosleeping is when she gets up 1-4 times a night, and screams bloody murder(teething.. poor bunny). sometimes she ends up in between the both of us and i keep inching toward the edge of the bed giving me severe cramps in the morning( the bed is on the floor with a small table on my edge). as she sleeps she flips and flops until shes right up against me which is fine.. exept for when she wants to keep going and cant causing her to wake up and cry. sometimes ill hold her until she goes to sleep, but then wakes right up as i put her down so i can sleep. im not blaming her in any way, its just i need sleeeeeeeep.. anyhoo, thats my story and im sticking to it
whats your story?
#2 of 23 Old 01-05-2004, 11:36 PM

I cosleep with our 3 yr old while my wife cosleeps with our 6 mo. old. Don't really have the problem with losing sleep (if I am able to get the 3 yr old to sleep at a decent hour). It works out good for us because I get my sleep, Jarod (the 3 yr old) gets the security blanket of daddy in the bed with him. My wife does sometimes get me up a little early to take care of Avery (6 mo. old) so she can get an hour of two of sleep, but thats ok she has to deal with both of them all day while I am at work so I don't mind.
#3 of 23 Old 01-20-2004, 04:32 PM

my wife and i co sleep with our 20 month old. we found a great solution to the lack of space, and when i work early in the mornings, it also helps prevent our daughter from waking up because of me. we took her crib, removed the front (where it slides up and down) and put her crib up against the wall. we then took our bed and scooted it up against her crib, so that she can sleep right next to us, but we still have space, and some room to cuddle at night.
#4 of 23 Old 01-20-2004, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your input! it'll give me some ideas
#5 of 23 Old 01-23-2004, 01:32 AM

We cosleep with our 26mo ds and sometimes with our 62mo dd. I have no trouble sleeping through most of the nursing, kicks, screams, and cover stealing. And that's just my wife.

My ds was calm most of the night but we are doing some night weaning right now using water and backrubs instead. It is going well but I can count on getting up during the night to look for the cup of water that was left in the kitchen when we went to bed.

I love cosleeping and never thought of not doing it. In reality, I'm sure I sleep much better when my ds is in the bed with us. But I do have to tell the truth and that is when I am super tired or have to catch an early morning flight, I've been know to sleep on the couch.

night.

pb
#6 of 23 Old 01-23-2004, 09:19 PM

Yeah PapaBliss. I sleep on the couch every now and then too. It's good to get away from the family sometimes.

Right now my 3 year old son sleeps in his own bed but generally stumbles in sometimes in the morning and sleeps with us. Also our 5 month old daughter sleeps with us and that really helps me sleep. I think I only got up the first week or two she was outta the womb.

My son on the other hand has been known to kick me and I really hate that. I got up last week and my eye was swollen and sore because he kicked me in the face.
#7 of 23 Old 02-14-2004, 02:49 AM

we're cosleeping with our 16 month old dd ... it was hell about about 11-13 months when she was teething big time, and also needed to nurse more. so our progress in letting her sleep in a crib as a "sidecar" failed and had to be abandoned. the queen size bed was too little room for the three of us (dd is big, about 95 percentile for her age). i was on the futon in the front room for a while, and almost got to liking it, except that i wasn't around to help while wife was getting less and less sleep.

now that we have a borrowed twin next to the queen, we have tons of room. it's true, really true, what they say aobut cosleeping in a king -- it's the only way to fly.
#8 of 23 Old 02-24-2004, 02:56 AM

We're cosleeping with our very long 3YO ds. I have an equally long drive to work and leave the house around 6 except on my early days when it's 5. Early on it was hard to get sleep together, and I was regularly in our queen bed while my wife and son were on the futon in the other room (she said it made night nursing easier). We tried a tandem toddler bed pushed up against the queen for a while, but somebody was always sinking into the crack. Then we switched to a king futon and it's great. Room for everyone, even the cat. I do bail to the other futon every once in a while, but pretty rarely. Sometimes a morning-dozing ds stretches his arms out just to put a hand on both of us at the same time. Nice...
#9 of 23 Old 02-25-2004, 10:09 AM

I was having similar problems b/c we co-sleep with our 8 mo ds. Talked with my supervisors and they allow me to come in at a much earlier hour. So now, we go to bed at about 7 or 8 pm (while he's sleeping)... on occasion as early as 6, and I get up about 3:30 - 4-ish and go in to work at 5. If your line of work allows you that flexibility, see if you can take advantage of it.
#10 of 23 Old 03-02-2004, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I have no trouble sleeping through most of the nursing, kicks, screams, and cover stealing. And that's just my wife.
:LOL :LOL :LOL

Now I know what my hubby goes through

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#11 of 23 Old 03-02-2004, 09:28 AM

My wife and I cosleep with our 4 month old and 2 year old. Our 7 year old just moved from our bed to the crib mattress on the floor beside our bed (it was the only way the mattress was going to get any use.)

The best thing my wife and I did was buy a king size bed!

We (my wife I guess) is in the process of night weaning our 2 year old--We have our bad nights, but it seems to be getting better.

I could never not co-sleep. They are to far away in their own beds in their own rooms...plus the kids love it. Even the 4 month old gets really happy when we are all in bed together!

Cheers,
Zaadad.
#12 of 23 Old 03-05-2004, 02:49 AM

I hope you gentlemen do not mind me butting in on this topic, I just wanted to tell you about what my DH's solution to our co-sleeping woes.

We have a 9week old ds and 20mo old dd. Our dd likes to sleep along the pillow line...I get the feet in my face and my dh gets to get smothered by her hair. We slept in a king size bed w/o out the frame and were very concerned about what was going to happen when ds was born .. for we knew he was going to sleep w/ us and did not want to kick dd out of the bed. DH enlarged our 'family bed' by adding a full size bed. It is WONDERFUL. Every one has plenty of room to sleep no matter what position they are in.
#13 of 23 Old 03-07-2004, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by buttercup
I hope you gentlemen do not mind me butting in ....
your butt's more than welcome.... :LOL

we have a pillow or a couple of bucky back pillows over the crack between the beds. what do you folks do about that little "gap hazard?"
#14 of 23 Old 03-12-2004, 01:31 AM

Reply to davidspalding: "we have a pillow or a couple of bucky back pillows over the crack between the beds. what do you folks do about that little "gap hazard?"

We rolled up a thin blanket (thermal blanket) and wedged it between the mattresses. It seems to work quiet well. Dd doesn't seem to find it uncomfortable.
#15 of 23 Old 03-12-2004, 01:44 AM

we have two beds together too. I sleep with ds on the bigger bed and dh sleeps on the smaller bed. The crack has never been an issue because ds stays close the nummies.

I just wanted to add one thing. I think the biggest shock to parents especially first time parents is how little sleep you get in general. ALL parents go through this. Whenever I hear parents complain about sleep all I can think of is:

WELCOME TO PARENTHOOD!

:LOL :LOL :LOL

#16 of 23 Old 03-12-2004, 02:28 PM

When DS was first born, we had two queen beds next to each other. I slept on one, wife and son slept on the other. We put pillows across the gap. As I got more comfortable with the reality that I wouldn't roll over on the little guy, we went to just 1 queen bed.

Now that DS is a year old, I find myself sleeping on the couch frequently. DS is a bedhog.:LOL And being crammed up against a bedrail isn't good on the back.
#17 of 23 Old 04-13-2004, 01:05 PM

We have always co-slept with our (now) 13month old son. He is a preemie and was on oxygen for 3 months and we thought it important to make up for lost time by holding him while we slept. To me it's even more important to co-sleep as I work 9-14 hours a day, not seeing my son during that time. So by co-sleeping we can touch and bond while resting and to me, it's building a stronger relationship. Although he's now WAY to active to continue to sleep in our bed and the fun of teaching him to sleep alone begins.........
James
#18 of 23 Old 04-21-2004, 01:59 AM
Dov

We just ended the official cosleeping arrangement. That doesn't mean 4 yo ds thinks it's over even though we're now in a different room (I lost my "office"... ).

We coslept with dd until she wanted her own bed. I built her a loft bed and she's been stoked since age 5 with that (she's now 6). Ds on the other hand still ends up with us in by the morning alarm series. funny thing is, we both sleep better now. It'll be interesting to see what ds eventually does with this. I may need to build another seismic-proof loft for him now....
#19 of 23 Old 04-24-2004, 06:16 PM

we stopped co-sleeping about a month ago. our daughter just wouldn't sleep in bed with us anymore, and prefered to run into the spare room and lay in the bed there at night. we figured she just wanted a little freedom, or possibly a little space, lol. eitherway, i'm just glad she decided when she was ready. she's surprised me with her incredible independence, and her want to try things by herself.
#20 of 23 Old 05-04-2004, 03:15 PM

I used to train grip. I technically have an elite grip - have been formally certified in crushing a hand gripper requiring a 285lb weight pressing down on its handle to close it.

I'm sure that when we're sleeping, he's digging his feet into my crotch and when he does, I'm grabbing his feet reflexively and moving his legs. Problem is, it's bruising the hell out of his legs (neither of us wake up)

What to do...
#21 of 23 Old 05-13-2004, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaednuSO
I used to train grip. I technically have an elite grip - have been formally certified in crushing a hand gripper requiring a 285lb weight pressing down on its handle to close it.

I'm sure that when we're sleeping, he's digging his feet into my crotch and when he does, I'm grabbing his feet reflexively and moving his legs. Problem is, it's bruising the hell out of his legs (neither of us wake up)

What to do...
now that is a problem.
#22 of 23 Old 11-01-2004, 10:37 PM

well with the middle one.... my first son, we co-slept with him. when he was about 10 months old, he did not wanna sleep with us and actually cried when we put him in our bed with us. He had a schedule like ours. late to bed and early to rise. We had to put him in a crib and it was light abd day. He weaned off the breast a while before so the need for feeding at night was not an issue. with number 4, my secong son, well he was in our bed up until last november. Now he kinda crawls in for security blanket reasons long enough to get his fix then leaves and starts his days. My daughter is still in the bed with us. I had a 1.5 yr old and a newbie at the same time. My wife and I joke about it cause she was getting more sleep than I was at that time. I would wake up and have to give her a nudge to feed the baby. Good thing baby was knowledgeable on breast location. she latched on herself and fell back asleep. We had a king size waterbed at the time with a rolled up blankie wedged in the crack. All was peacefull. we had to downsize to a queen regular bed and now with only 3 of us in there, and a hog of a gal.... We are gonna have to get a bigger bed again. I usually wake up with dl snuggled to my back with dd closely to her. If I shimmy too much I would fall out of bed. lool
#23 of 23 Old 11-03-2004, 10:38 PM

we cosleep with 3yr old an 19 month. we are expecting another in 4 months so it will be intresting. the only problem we have is when i get ready to go to work DS wants to get up also. Which is just to early for him. I guess i fuction pretty well with no sleep. DW let me sleep more on weekends to let me catch up with it. Other then that we are good. oh we did buy a bigger bed.We went from a queen to an olympic quen which is only 6 inches wider but man it made a difference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page