X-posted under Toddlers: 28 mo. old "hates" Daddy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-03-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys,

I have a question for you all and would appreciate some supportive ways to deal with this situation.

My dh is a wonderful husband and father, but we have a 28 mo. old daughter who, for whatever reason, is really into me. As in, she prefers me at least 90% of the time. There is almost no scenario where she will choose her father over me and most of the time we chalk that up to her being a toddler and wanting her mama. Most of the time it's not a big deal.

I am currently ~ 7 mos pregnant and I'm not sure if she's having anxiety about the baby, but she's suddenly adamantly rejecting her father for everything, fro diaper changes, to dinner, to putting her to bed, etc.

I'm sure it's considered normal behavior, especially if she senses that my time with her will be reduced in the near future, but I'm wondering how to support my husband? I know he gets extremely frustrated with her rejections of him (I do too, because it's impossible to do everything for her all the time) and I want to both reinforce to her that he is a good daddy and let her know that sometimes I'm not available, period.

Suggestions or advice? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-11-2010, 07:50 AM

My dd was little over 2 1/2 when we brought her adopted brother home, then 10 months. My son when first arriving home was attached to my husband and my dd saw this and rather than say she was upset. She ignored him for a while to even include not talking to him. We started having him take her out on "dates" - one on one time and it smoothed things out. I also do one and one time with each child when I get a chance. You get so lost into loving them both, hubby, functioning as a family, parenting etc. you forget about one on one time with each family member. And oh, you get a lot out of it too. And friendly reminder, don't forget one on one time for yourself! Best wishes on the new baby to come!
#3 of 3 Old 10-24-2010, 11:26 AM

They go through phases - DS was like that at that age and then switched to 'Team Daddy' at about 2 1/2. Since the fall hit and he turned three he's back to 'Team Mommy'. Spending time together definitely helps, but mostly it's just time.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page