Anything in particular bring you here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently suggested my DH take a look around here, as he's temporary a SAHD of a self-nightweaning/napweaning 19 mo., with another on the way, has 1 and a 1/2 'other dads' type friends (one has a son about to start kindergarten, the other is adopting this year, but has no children yet) so he seems a little lonely in the aspect of other guys he can relate to, we've got a bit of a head start on the family thing, compared to his old buddies from highschool.

Despite the crunchy-friendliness of our area, certain things we do are really rare here, like uncirc., unvax, no CIO, babywearing, and GD, so it's hard for him to talk to anybody but me about it.

I know he wouldn't be interested in a real-life dad's group. I think a message board would be easy for him, and this is the place for the type of parenting we do, but he's reluctant.

So what really attracts you to this spot? To Mothering, specifically?

And if anybody (guy or gal, he doesn't care) happens to play World of Warcraft on Hellscream, that might be a plus, lol.
#2 of 12 Old 10-05-2009, 01:39 AM

I lurked for years because my wife posts here pretty often. Every so often the temptation to reply was too great and I'd piggyback on her account, specifying that it was me rather than she. So I finally got around to making my own account.

lolar2DH: DH to lolar2; Dad to Sam, born March, 2007.
Please don't hold anything I say against lolar2!
#3 of 12 Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 AM

My wife is on another similar board. She would point things out to me that she read that were interesting. A lot of the parenting styles were not that similar to ours though. There was a lot of the people doing CIO and putting their kids in their own rooms at 6 weeks and starting solids at 3-4 months, etc.

We found this board.

What brings me here? We are both pretty "crunchy" as they say. We are first time parents to a now 8month old daughter. We have ideas about parenting, but no really real-life people who share our views.

It is a really easy place to get some good advice. I mostly read, and most of what I read comes from Moms. But Moms have some good advice and good ideas. I come here because I get validation that some of the things we are doing with parenting are worth it and not just going to cause problems in the future. (like carrying a baby too much spoiling them or something).

I have more confidence in myself as a father and in my wife as a mother since reading stuff on this board. And it also helps me to take my wife's advice instead of just thinking that she is being controlling.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 12 Old 04-16-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colsxjack View Post
My wife is on another similar board. She would point things out to me that she read that were interesting. A lot of the parenting styles were not that similar to ours though.

What brings me here? We are both pretty "crunchy" as they say. We have ideas about parenting, but no really real-life people who share our views.
Same here. Just very 'crunchy' and hard to find 'real' people that share our views on many things. I also started reading Mothering when it showed up in our house, and likes almost every article (sans the Rocking Mom one from sometime last year).

Hey Colsxjax, noticed you are from TO...we are Canadian too. From other boards I've been on, 'we' Canadians seem to be a bit more crunchy...especially on the BF issue.
#5 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 PM

We get mothering and its not a bag mag. I'm starting to like discussion areas to get ideas for my business so I thought I would check this out.
#6 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceyTheBatmom View Post
So what really attracts you to this spot? To Mothering, specifically?
I too have lurked for sometime. But only to the extent of seething quietly, yet threatening to join when my wife has read particularly "interesting" posts to me.

We live in a lovely part of Australia, which has a reasonable population of those who are "crunchy" as the US colloquialism describes. It's a lovely way of putting it :-)

But I may now succumb to responding to those posts that I see as more outlandish than is reasonable.

Sorry, no idea about W of W.

Chris
#7 of 12 Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergreen View Post
Hey Colsxjax, noticed you are from TO...we are Canadian too. From other boards I've been on, 'we' Canadians seem to be a bit more crunchy...especially on the BF issue.
Canadians possibly get much more support with BF and the average woman can breast feed for longer since we have access to 12 months of (at least) partially paid parental leave. I don't know if my wife could have continued BF'ing if she had to go back to work at 12 weeks.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#8 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandlerphoto View Post
We get mothering and its not a bag mag.
It's funny, ours does come in a bag...I guess b/c we are "International" or something?
#9 of 12 Old 05-06-2010, 03:37 PM

I haven't found many good parenting web sites and don't have family close by, so I read the threads here. Sometimes I want to respond so I created an account.
#10 of 12 Old 05-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Shenomad and I are expecting our first, and want as much info as possible. A web search brought me here. My DW isn't comfortable in English online communities, so it's up to me (online since waaaaay before the internet went public).

We come from fairly uncrunchy backgrounds, but are progressive compared to our peer-parents.

Sorry, OP: no WoW. We're boardgamers.

Dad to toddler, dad-to-be to another.

#11 of 12 Old 05-26-2010, 10:30 AM

I have a couple of bees in my bonnet:

1) spanking children (instead of listening to, and reasoning with them)

2) the misuse of indutrialised education in an information world

This site gave me the opportunity to share with people who wanted to make a postive change to the way they lived, but needed ideas or hints, reasurance and backup and even permission.

I'm more out than in these days, but still drop by to lurk.

The anti-Ezzo king
#12 of 12 Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2DH View Post
I lurked for years because my wife posts here pretty often. Every so often the temptation to reply was too great and I'd piggyback on her account, specifying that it was me rather than she. So I finally got around to making my own account.
That's essentially why I'm here, except that I did not want to piggyback on my wife's account as we have different writing styles and I wanted to separate our voices on the forum. So I never tried to post anything on the wife's account. Today, I finally registered for my own account but I had not lurked much because I like to read the posts on my own pace before getting into discussion so that's why I finally have the account so my wife knows that I have read and/or given feedback to a topic or her own posts, etcetera.

* CalvinTy

Daddy to twin girls (born 29 Apr 2009); 7-year-old DSD (born 22 Sep 2002); and wife of VroomieMama (married 23 Aug 2008); and one more on the way (around Dec 2010), hopefully a boy! :-D

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page