Any "pregnant" dads out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-08-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found this in the New York Times:

"A British research firm is reporting that the average weight gained during pregnancy is 14 pounds — and that’s by the babies’ fathers."

My kid just hit 18 months old and my husband jokes that he's finally back to his pre-pregnancy weight.

Can any other dads out there relate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbanana View Post
Found this in the New York Times:

"A British research firm is reporting that the average weight gained during pregnancy is 14 pounds — and that’s by the babies’ fathers."

My kid just hit 18 months old and my husband jokes that he's finally back to his pre-pregnancy weight.

Can any other dads out there relate?
Ha! I did gain a few pounds at one stage - possibly due to the fact that we were less active, or simply the fact that it was winter. Who knows. I've lost it now (38 weeks). I also got a bad back, due to lugging lots of heavy stuff around without any help from my wife!

That said, I fully expect to gain weight post partum, simply because I don't expect to have much time for exercise any more....
#3 of 16 Old 06-13-2009, 07:04 AM

My first post here, I was searching for a place for new dads and found this post. We are still about 2 weeks out. I can tell you that I used to finish my wife's food at restaurants, I could put away twice as much as she did at home and I would be the one raiding the fridge at night.

The tables have turned during our pregnancy. I find myself looking at her cleaned plate in disbelief, thinking to myself, "did she just eat all that?"

So, yes.

I have found that I put on a few pounds myself, nothing major really but it's there. I find myself eating more just for no good reason. If she wants icecream, I say why not...

I will admit that sometimes I feel inadequate because I just cant hang with her anymore.

Actually her appetite has seemed to let up a bit her towards the end. Our Doc said that is normal I guess.

Great forum, I hope to be able to contribute some myself.

-Chris

Check out my Homepage, I have a daddy blog.
#4 of 16 Old 06-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeDad View Post

I will admit that sometimes I feel inadequate because I just cant hang with her anymore.

-Chris
My first post too ...

That's a tough feeling. I go through it myself. It's hard to describe.

And as for weight gain, I don't think I did during pregnancy. If anything, I've gained since he's been born. Life just hasn't been all it should be lately. It's unfortunate that my son has to live through these tough times.
#5 of 16 Old 06-21-2009, 04:04 PM

hiya mama here, not a dad hope that's ok.

dh matched my changes during pregnancy. he had symptoms of morning sickness in the beginning which is interesting b/c i did not have ms.

the only sympathetic symptom he didn't have was insomnia, but i kept him awake enough to sympathize.

he gained weight too poor guy!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#6 of 16 Old 08-20-2009, 01:34 AM

This is Chris, Kateana's husband posting this, I'm too lazy to get my own account at the moment.

I put on 50 pounds with our first!!! I even got stretch marks!!!!! Now almost four years later I have lost those 50 lbs. plus another twenty (funny that I'm working on finishing a pint of ice cream as I type this).

My wife never used to cook and I did all the cooking. We really went to town on the food trying to get all the recommended things in on the sheet we got at Bradley classes. We were eating 5-7 meals a day! Since there was a Dairy Queen on the way to our classes we just "had" to stop before going. Sometimes we even stopped afterwards : I'm glad we have stopped that nonsense. My wife is a little jealous of my huge weight loss (70 pounds since last Sept.). I was the epitome of "sympathy weight gain".
#7 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM

My wife is about 19 weeks along and I've gained a little, under 10 pounds I'd say. Probably mostly because we were both dieting together pre-pregnancy, and now that she's eating a bit more I'm kind of right there with her you know?
#8 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 02:54 AM

my DF always jokes about this because he put about 20 lbs on when i was preg with dd, and is doing the same now. Like the PPs, we put it down to him joining me as I'm eating more regularly. Im pleased as it means he'll join me on the Post partum diet again

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#9 of 16 Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 PM

My appetite has definitely spiked--we're just under 26 wks, and I've gained about 10 lbs. so far.

I also sleep less than I used to. And I cry. I think I've shed more tears in the past few months than in the past couple of years. Everything sets me off. Commercial with a father-daughter moment, weep. Baby clothes at Walmart, weep. Those baby shows on TLC, oh yeah. A year ago, I would have called it cheesy. Now, I weep.

All I need now are some round ligament pains and visits to the OB. Yikes..
#10 of 16 Old 02-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Heck yea I gained just about 14lbs exactly! Now I've got an excuse!
#11 of 16 Old 06-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Interesting question! Wife (VroomieMama) is pregnant again this time, but with one baby, I don't think I am one of those "pregnant" dads mainly because I am a thin-built guy with high metabolism and my wife is medium-built with heavyset features like heavy bones and low metabolism. I eat snacks and drink liquids like they don't affect me all too much, but if my wife was not pregnant, she'd gain quite a bit.

So during the pregnancy with twins, I did not really see much difference in our eating habits. Same with this one. We are a quite different couple but am proud of it anyway.

Cheers,

* CalvinTy

Daddy to twin girls (born 29 Apr 2009); 7-year-old DSD (born 22 Sep 2002); and wife of VroomieMama (married 23 Aug 2008); and one more on the way (around Dec 2010), hopefully a boy! :-D
#12 of 16 Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 PM

When I graduated high school I weighed around 120. (I'm 6' tall, yes that is extremely thin). After college, around 135. At age 30 maybe 145. At age 40 I was staying around 150-155.

My first son was born on my 42nd birthday.

Three months later I hit 170.

Dang. 170?

I checked it again. And again. And again.

It wasn't lying to me!

Ah, I see this is an old thread, but welcome Calvin! :-) Yes, high metabolisms ... my father and I both ... but then it hits you. Still. Get ready.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
#13 of 16 Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaesun's Dad View Post
Ah, I see this is an old thread, but welcome Calvin! :-) Yes, high metabolisms ... my father and I both ... but then it hits you. Still. Get ready.
I plan to. I actually haven't been exercising much the last 10 years -- blame the daily routine of commute/work/commute -- so while only 5' 10", I knew I should stay only 150's but I do see the 160's in the last few years. That's why I know it can hit me fast if I don't prepare for it.

First child on your 42nd birthday, wow! Tomorrow, I will be 35. I thought I was a late bloomer when I finally got married at 33 (and wife's first marriage, too, at 30). First, it was just VroomieMama's daughter around, then the twin girls came, and we are now expecting. So in a sense, I went from 0 kids to hopefully 4 kids by end of this year in about 3 short years! Last child for us as wife will get tied.

Thanks for the welcome, Jaesun's Dad.

* CalvinTy

Daddy to twin girls (born 29 Apr 2009); 7-year-old DSD (born 22 Sep 2002); and wife of VroomieMama (married 23 Aug 2008); and one more on the way (around Dec 2010), hopefully a boy! :-D
#14 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 PM

2 months to go and I've lost about 10 lbs myself. But it's been on purpose. One of those "stay healthy, you're in charge of someone else now" things.

DaddysMyMommy.com
#15 of 16 Old 08-18-2010, 08:43 PM

In my case, I am happy to gain such weight.
#16 of 16 Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Another mama here, and still prego at that!

My dp has gained about 11 pounds and I am 36 weeks today. He tells people that he couldn't let me grow a belly all by myself, and that his weight gain is his way of supporting my bodies changes.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page