Poll: moms worried about sons using men's room -- your opinions - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Mothers anxious about (over 8yo) son's safety in mens room should
Take sons with them to women's room 11 32.35%
Call out warning and accompany sons to men's room 3 8.82%
Send sons in and trust them to yell for help if needed 19 55.88%
Other 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband recently had an upsetting experience, which has sparked a long thread in parenting issues (titled Feeling so sorry for men today --rant), and I was wanting to get more men's opinions on this issue.

We'd taken our girls to our local waterpark, and dh needed to use the restroom. He had to use the one and only stall in the men's room, and while he was in there a boy came in and stood outside the (closed) door to the stall, waiting for dh to finish so he could go in.

His mother was naturally concerned about her son being in there so long, and kept calling in, and the boy kept anwering that he was okay. Dh understood the mother's concerns perfectly, as he has sometimes taken our older daughter out, and had to wait outside the door to the women's room on our dd.

When dh came out of the stall, the boy (who looked to be about 8) went right in. Then dh went out, and when the mom saw him she loudly yelled, "Honey are you OKAY? Has somebody been TOUCHING you?" -- to which dh was very glad that the child truthfully answered no (as in no, no one's been touching me).

This was so upsetting to my dh, he wanted to leave the park right away. It was just really scary to him to realize how much his wellbeing hinged on that child giving an honest answer to his mom. And of course I'm not saying most kids would lie about such a thing, but all I can say is it just made dh feel very shaken up and vulnerable.

Anyhow, it got me thinking that most men would probably prefer for a mom this anxious to just call out a warning, and go in to check on her son, rather than for her to stand outside, fretting, wondering if some man is in there molesting her son.

I know a woman barging in would be an encroachment on your privacy -- but so would a false accusation. So what do you guys think? Of course, the other option would be for the anxious mom to take her son, no matter his age, with her into the ladies' room. Which do you think would have been more embarrassing to you when you were a kid?

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#2 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted other because I'm not a mom.

I have taken DD into the mens room before when she was too young to go alone, because lets face it... a guy hanging out outside the womans room is going to get complaints and going into a womans room will get you arrested.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I voted other because I'm not a mom.
But my whole purpose for posting the poll here was to get men's opinions as to what they would prefer, from the vantage point of being a man who sometimes needs to use the men's room.

I was thinking that if it was a choice between a mom barging in in order to SEE that her son was okay, or a mom behaving the way the mom I wrote about in my OP did, that most men would prefer the former over the latter. But it seems the majority would prefer that the mom trust her son's response, and stay outside. Or else take her son with her to the ladies' room.

Quote:
I have taken DD into the mens room before when she was too young to go alone, because lets face it... a guy hanging out outside the womans room is going to get complaints and going into a womans room will get you arrested.
That's a great point! Looking at it from that angle, it does seem rather unfair that I'd be thinking the mom should just barge in if she's that worried.

Still, I actually wouldn't condemn a dad for wanting to stay close by the door in case his daughter needed help. All the women's toilets are all in enclosed stalls anyway. By the time I'm washing my hands, there's nothing I'd be embarrassed for any man to see.

I'd probably do a double-take at first if a man came rushing in, but if he said I'm checking on my little girl I'd think nothing of it.

I guess where it differs is that a woman rushing into a men's room is an annoying invasion of privacy -- but most men wouldn't feel physically-threatened by most women, at least I don't think they would. But women tend to see men as stronger and capable of harming them. With this in mind, I would likely feel startled by a guy rushing in, but once I understood the reason, I'd be cool.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#4 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 PM

I take prepubecent boys with me to the ladies room if a family restroom or single stall bathroom is not available. Unless there was a man I trusted that could go to the mens room with them.

hh2.gif

#5 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 PM

And, I just realized this is in the dad's forum! Sorry. Saw from new posts page.

hh2.gif

#6 of 8 Old 06-23-2009, 12:16 AM

In regards to women coming into the bathroom to check on their son, it might be a bit uncomfortable, but wouldn't really care all that much.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#7 of 8 Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 PM

I voted - Take sons with them to women's room

If any child is young enough to need a parent (mother) to accompany them to the toilet, this should not be an issue.

As regards the case in hand, maybe the child could have waited outside until the stall was free, given the mother's anxiety? Yelling stuff like that, however understandable, is harassment and could result in a complaint against that mother, at least where I live. It must be very stressful to live in constant fear of a false accusation.

No way have I taken or would take my DD, now 4, into a mens' toilet, mostly due to the sorry state they are often in, and have not thus far had any major problems. After all I'm A PARENT taking his DD to the loo! She has to go into a dirty, at times unsavoury, mens' loo because I am a male?? Don't think so.
#8 of 8 Old 07-14-2009, 02:07 AM

My ex and I both take our opposite sex kids into family restrooms at reststops. My ex stands outside and waits for our boy. If he needs help, he'll call, I guess. I never had to take my girl to the bathroom when she was fairly little, so I don't know what I'd do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page