Thinking of you gift for newly divorced dad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of my DH and mine just went through a tough divorce and custody battle (wife started doing drugs, stopped coming home at night or didn't pick up son at daycare, etc...). He was too embarressed by the situation to tell any of his friends and my DH is probably his closest friend in our area (friend is in Marines so now lives in another state). He just told us about his situation the past few months and we wish we could have gone to visit during the worst of it for support, but since we didn't know we would like to send him something just to let him know we support him and are thinking of him.
We would like it to be something useful; so guys if you were a newly single parent with full custody of a 2 year old boy what would you want?
Also DH and I are on a tight budget so would have to probably be under $50.
Thank you!

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Useful: Home Depot gift card
Timeless: booze

Dad to DD 9/2008
#3 of 5 Old 05-20-2010, 02:17 PM

I was thinking a gift card maybe too, babies r us vs. home depot? Ironically the two are face to face across the parking lot where we go so I could visit both without moving my car.

I think the thing that would mean the most to him assuming your husband is a really good friend is simply unconditional friendship and support. I'm not a single dad but I have relationship problems and new dad things I like to talk to other guys about. I call my dad ten times more than I ever did before mostly because I think of him as a friend more than a dad right now too. Ears to listen. It's probably the best gift you can offer.

If you send a gift card, put it in a nice greeting card (blank with your own message maybe) and formally extend a "call anytime" offer ...

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
#4 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 11:15 PM

Cash, grocery card, something like that that is practical and useful.

I don't know what his situation is, but I struggle pretty hard to make ends meet. If he's like a lot of guys (and since he didn't want to tell anyone waht was going on, I'm guessing he is), he may be hurting in a lot of ways, including financially, and will keep it to himself.

He's probably dealing with a lot of emotional stuff in the aftermath, especially if his ex wife did such a radical change in her lifestyle. Letting him know you guys are there to support him will mean a lot.
#5 of 5 Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 AM

or restaurant gift cards for those nights he's just too tired to make dinner.....

User Tag List