Thoughts About Leaving 15-month-old with dad for weekend? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-10-2010, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 15-month-old has never fallen asleep except next to me, was only recently nightweaned, and still wakes up several times during the night. My husband is a farmer, so I do all the nighttime parenting. At this point, I can't imagine what a night without me would be like for her. But I also wonder if leaving for a weekend would do wonders for his appreciation for the complexity of my role as mother. He is a devoted dad and takes care of our daughter in the evenings so I can work at the farm, but he still doesn't know what it's like the other 20 hours of the day. He's certain that if he were the mother, he would do a much better job. It's gotten so I avoid asking for help because of the criticism that inevitably follows. So many other moms have recommended taking a weekend off so dad can know what it's like, but I worry it would be too traumatic for my daughter, considering how much she relies on me. On the other hand, there's also the health of my marriage to consider, which certainly affects my daughter. Any thoughts, from dads as well as moms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-10-2010, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The first time I left ds with dh was when he was about 15 months. It went very well. I do find that the more time dh is able to spend with ds one-on-one the stronger their bond is & the more comfortable & confident we all feel with it.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 7 Old 09-11-2010, 03:39 PM

I say leave her there, go away for the weekend, and youll probably come home much more appreciated.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 7 Old 09-11-2010, 04:10 PM

I would go away for a night and leave baby with dad in a heartbeat! He's a parent too. Go to a bed and breakfast where you can just relax and read.
#5 of 7 Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Banned

Go. Have a lovely time. They will too.
#6 of 7 Old 09-13-2010, 03:11 AM

I would start with something shorter then the whole weekend if you're worried about it. overnight, or take a day to yourself. I think toddlers need some alone time with each parent. it builds a better bond with the parent, and gives the parent who's not usually alone with the kid better perspective.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#7 of 7 Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i personally wouldn't but dd wasn't ready to sleep over without me until just last month. each child has a different personality, some are ready sooner than others.

mama to one '07 and one '09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page