Hello? Dads? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey folks!  I'd love to hear from other dads on this forum, get some dad discussion happening.  I'm a stay-at-home dad, and I feel like a loner in many ways these days...

Where I live, I can't seem to find any dads to hang out with.  And the dads I meet just don't seem to have much in common with me.  I don't really care for sports, or cars, or playing poker...

Online, I've found some dad-focused communities, but my relatively hippie/crunchy parenting interests (I cloth diaper, and make my own baby food, and do a fair amount of babywearing and the like) are completely foreign to the guys there.  There seems to be a lot of showing you're "macho" in the online dad communities, to prove that even though you're an involved dad, you're still "tough."  And I just couldn't care less about macho.

SO... dads here?  Other crunchy dads wanting to chat and trade stories and advice?  I'd love to see this dad board active, get some discussion going.  Any takers?

I'm Scott, acd.gif  fuzmalesling.gif  treehugger.gif  part-time classical musician and stay-at-home dad, with two beautiful girls, born March 2008 and May 2010.
#2 of 20 Old 01-15-2011, 04:38 AM

I would be nice to see more dad's posting here. Truthfully though, this place can be a little intimidating to dads.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 20 Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 PM

I am another dad posting here. It is a bit intimidating, but too interesting and informative to not read and sometimes comment.

Pleased to meet you other dad's.

I also could be considered a crunchy dad. We cloth diaper, co-sleep, baby wear, follow baby led weaning, gentle disciple, etc. Yea, it is hard to find other Dad's that are the same. But it is hard to find parents of any gender that do that kind of thing.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 20 Old 01-29-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Nice to know there are a few of us out there though.  My wife posts here and I feel oh so slightly jealous that there are other moms in a similar situation to hers, with similar values, who will discuss things.  Not that I can't discuss things with moms, of course.  But it's nice to see dads too.  Greetings, gents!

I'm Scott, acd.gif  fuzmalesling.gif  treehugger.gif  part-time classical musician and stay-at-home dad, with two beautiful girls, born March 2008 and May 2010.
#5 of 20 Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Ha!  I do enjoy that shirt, except it's liable to be covered up by my Ergo so nobody will see it.  :)

#6 of 20 Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 AM

It is really hard to get dads together, I dont know if its because of work, the time it takes being a dad(seems theres not enough time in the day)

#7 of 20 Old 02-25-2011, 05:34 PM

Hey,

I am also a dad here who spends more time reading than posting, mostly because I don't have time, but also because I am definitely intimidated to post sometimes. 

We do alot of what would be considered crunchy by many folks around here; we co-sleep, cloth diaper, I am an organic farmer, and as of this week I am the primary caretaker of my daughters while my wife is at work because I can have our girls at the farm.  This can make it very hard to relate to alot of my friends and neighbors as we live in a rural farming area. 

Also I do alot of things that some of my crunchy friends have a hard time with such as hunting, which can make it hard at times to relate with other crunchy type dads.  I would love to see some more regular discussion for dads here, as we live in a very traditional and conservative area as far as parenting goes and it is hard to find any other dads who co-sleep, take care of their kids stay at home or on the farm, or make any other alternative parenting choices 

#8 of 20 Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 PM

Hey dads- just wanted to recommend Pirate Papa http://www.piratepapa.blogspot.com/ and Rad Dad zine http://raddadzine.blogspot.com/ for some crunchier/radical dad company.

#9 of 20 Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klenora View Post

Hey dads- just wanted to recommend Pirate Papa http://www.piratepapa.blogspot.com/ and Rad Dad zine http://raddadzine.blogspot.com/ for some crunchier/radical dad company.

Also check out www.dadshideout.com I'm one of the admins thereorngbiggrin.gif

#10 of 20 Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the links!

#11 of 20 Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Hey there folks!

My name is Michael and I am a single, proud Papa to a beautiful and feisty little munchkin named Sophia. Her Mother and I are no longer together, but we're great friends and when it comes to our little girl we seem to always be on the same page. I'm new to the community and came here on a recommendation from a friend and fellow parent. Great info here, and I hope to meet some great folks!

Cheers,

Drummin' Papa

#12 of 20 Old 08-03-2011, 08:00 AM

Judging by the dates of the posts, we obviously haven't succeeded in getting much dad discussion going in here.  Right now, I'm a SAHD to our 10-month-old, although my wife and I might be switching roles in the next 4-6 weeks.  Just wanted to chime in also and say it would be nice to have more dad discussion!

#13 of 20 Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 AM

We dad's are all here, but if they are anything like me they lurk more than they ever post. I love reading through the Gentle Discipline, Unschooling, and Frugality forum. If we get more posts here, maybe this will become another favored area for me to read.

Oh, btw I am a SAHD living in Paris France, but originally from California. I have a 18 mo old boy who I love dearly. I really have no other dad friends in the city, partly because of the language barrier and partly because I am so picky about meeting other dad's. I'm not macho and don't like sports, so I feel a little isolated. I had the perfect group of friends growing up, so I'm always setting the bar a bit high friend-wise.

I am like many men in one area: I love video games. Currently playing Project Zomboid. Of course only on the weekends or when my boy is asleep.

Jeremy

#14 of 20 Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 AM

OOh OOh, i'm here! wheres the party... Ohh... so sad! I checked out the suggested links in the post and they just werent really what i'd be looking for. My DW is on here quite a bit and i end up reading good info through her groups whenever she leaves it open so i figured i would join the Dad scene here. but i guess there's not too much of one... maybe all you ladies can twist your husbands arms into paying a visit?  any who.. FTF and our little critter is about 16 days old so anyone else thats in the same boat or passing by in like waters, feel free to drop me aline, maybe we'll get a group going!

#15 of 20 Old 12-07-2011, 06:22 AM

hello dads

#16 of 20 Old 12-07-2011, 06:37 AM

How goes it Jay? 

#17 of 20 Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 PM

hi all. Any dads got a ps3 here. :D

#18 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Another dad here. You are not alone smile.gif

C'mon lets make it more like "fathering.com".

#19 of 20 Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 PM

I am really late to this gathering.  I am a papa, but not one who gets to stay home.  I am new to this site, but don;t et why people are intimidated to post.  Perhaps I have not been around lone enough.  For what it is worth, I agree it is not easy meeting other Papas in the real world.  Maybe because I look mean in person, or at least that is what I have been told.  Regardless, I love hanging with my son doing boy things.  We have a new bike coming in the mail, can;t wait to go for a ride with the little guy.  

I hope other dads keep posting.  

#20 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 AM

I'll see if my partner ben would like to sign up - it would be up his ally. :]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page