Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does this board get *any* action?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 12-12-2001, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, I don't know where all of them are. . .

but I'm, here ! ! !

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#3 of 15 Old 12-12-2001, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

I'd like to get my dh to start posting here, or at least stopping by to read something once in a while.

He just feels weird, like he's accidentally walked in to the Ladies room or something!
#4 of 15 Old 12-14-2001, 04:18 PM

Just last night I was talking with Dh about his too. What is up with that? He knows all that goes on here and yet just doesn't sit down. Maybe I'm here too much, but then again I won't make excusses for him

Come and play I say...
#5 of 15 Old 12-14-2001, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Yeah, but he better not try to cut into MY computer time!
#6 of 15 Old 12-18-2001, 03:55 AM
Dov

I'm supposed to be in bed... by my dw just got into a vid in the other room... thought I'd sneak back here and get in some male energy before I hit it.

Most of the dads tend to cruise the other discussion areas in addition to this one b/c there's a lot of great conversation and dialoguing goin' on out there. It's "Mothering" of course... we learn a lot more that way.

Dov
#7 of 15 Old 12-21-2001, 03:57 PM

I'm here. Used to lurk on the board for a while and posted a few times, but got busy -- parenting and telecommuting to work. Going to try to participate more in my free time
#8 of 15 Old 12-21-2001, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TreeLove
I'd like to get my dh to start posting here, or at least stopping by to read something once in a while.
He just feels weird, like he's accidentally walked in to the Ladies room or something!
I can't think of anything nicer than walking into a ladies room!

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#9 of 15 Old 12-24-2001, 02:32 PM

in case any of u were wondering, i am a man, and my dw is a poster here as well.
#10 of 15 Old 01-06-2002, 05:39 PM

I think if we look at the percentages, there are about as many posts here by men as there are number of times wives are out in the garage changing the oil. If you want to really know where all the dads are spending there posting time, go to a page like the technical section of mtbreview, just insert the word "child" for any of the various bike parts being discussed, and you'll have a pretty good "fathering" discussion board.
#11 of 15 Old 01-08-2002, 01:33 AM

Ya, you are probably right about the mountain biking forum. I find it easier to talk about stuff than people, even my own family. I usually sound like a broken Christmas card when reciting our family's current status within the various realms of being. However, whenever it comes to equipment, I get excited and start rattling off numbers and such. Like the new G4 iMacs, have you seen them? What a great design, and an 800MHz G4 processor to boot with a base model flaunting a CDRW and the top model can burn DVDs!

Sorry, back to reality. Anyway, I bet you bike. My mount is a Fisher Z0 from a few years back. Full XTR with a RockShock SL, Ti upgrades, and spongy RS superdeluxe suspending the rear. On the road, I crank a Trek 5200 (last year's model). While I am sure a Lance-a-Not!, I do get in a race or two each summer.

Skis? Rossignol. Old ones. I used to race quite a bit, but believe it or not, I have never skied the new shape skis because I let my family get in the way of my ski addiction. But not for long. DD has been going to the local area with me to do some downhilling (unlike the uphilling that mommy does with her skating skis).

Mountain running? Every chance I get with a hour minimum to even count. But not much equipment here so not as much to say.

Well,, my kid-free break is over so I best get back to reality.

Chao.
#12 of 15 Old 01-08-2002, 02:27 PM

Yes, I bike. I still moonlight as a mechanic at the local bike shop, where incidentally I met my wife, pina la nina. I used to race, at the height of my road racing mania I did about forty races, from March to October. This does not include the 4 or five indoor "roller" races we did in February. I always wished I had gotten into racing earlier, I didn'y start until I was out of college. I've been in a few pretty cool pelotons, a few of which included Mike McCarthy, George Hincapie (born and raised on LI!) and a few others. I will never forget the race we did in Central Park, I was pulling the field along at a somewhat respectable 27mph, just trying to keep things under control for my team mate who was in a break of seven about thirty seconds up the road. With about a 1/2 mile to go McCarthy goes wailing past me like I'm standing still, catches the break and cruises past them for the win. Those pros are scarrry!
I'd trade all the crap I own for endless hours on the bike like I had when we lived in Mexico for 8 months. I was in such great shape I won a 65 mile state championship on my old debarnardi with bar end shifters and heavy clincher wheels!
Now I try to get up before my wife does so I can go out for a jog in the morning and when my little girl is napping during the day I squeeze in an indoor trainer workout. The only time I can get out for a ride is on the weekend or if we go away on vacation.
I'm adapting though, I can be somewhat happy with an hour out on the road or trail, by myself puttering along in a pedestrian manner. I'm a lot like other cycling dads I know, as we get more into our careers we ride better bike slower and slower. I still hope to do a few weekend club races here and there, I love the comraderie and fitness I get from it. I'm in the process of setting up the old Ironhorse to be the kid toting bike for next year once dd is old enough for a kid seat. I've already got the baby jogger but its too cold right now.
Cycling is a sport that I woundn't/would wish on anybody. It is so friggin' hard and time consuming but I know of no other sport as intense, satisfying and diverse. I wonder what I will say to my dd if she ever expresses an interest in it.
By the way, you seem computer saavy enough, I want to upgrade the RAM of this old (1999) 333mhz G3 imac, got any ideas about where I could get upgrade for it and how much it might cost? This site bogs down everything no matter how much I manipulate the memory I have.
Hey, If you've got an indoor trainer and need some exciting workouts that will burn maybe 1200 cal in an hour, let me know I've got some excellent ones.
#13 of 15 Old 01-10-2002, 11:40 AM

Howdy,

It is hard to type with arms full of infant so my relpies are farther apart than I would like.

Anyway, once three of us rented a muscle man video, probably one of Arnold's. We set up three rollers in front of a TV and proceded to begin a hard 1.5hr training ride. About half way through a rather agressive shoot-em-up scene, we were all spinning about 120 when the guy on the left of me I was in the middle) tips over into me. I in turn tip over into the guy to my right and he tips over into a small couch hitting the top of it and flipping over it and out of sight bike and all! If we had a video of that crash, I'm sure we would have cleaned up on one of those home video tv shows.

For upgradding I would skip it. The G3 is great for what it is, but if you need the benifits of a G4 or the hopefully-soon-available G5, then the rest of your computer will fall short and you will again need a new machine after pouring hundred$ into your G3. OSX would run on an upgraded G3 to G4, but you would have other limitations, RAM, HD, bus speed, old monitor, etc. that would require attention shortly.

We have upgraded many powermacs where I work with the Sonnet G3 chips and all works fine, but they are still old machines with small screens. My suggestion, save your pennies then bite the bullet. Also, I would think that your slowness with these boards in not with your processor but with something else like your modem connection, etc.

Ride Fast!
#14 of 15 Old 01-16-2002, 09:03 PM

Yo, wud up pb!
I just tossed off 35 bucks for a 128MB upgrade from crucial.com and now the little tangerine is aipping along quite well. I'll wait awhile after the new imacs get cheap before I put down for a new system. Thanks for the info and interesting story, the only one I've heard that combined a weightlifting video with indorr cycling, that is quite bizarre.
#15 of 15 Old 01-21-2002, 04:45 AM

Oh how I wish I could get the dh to get more involved and join in here. He feels that it is my job to keep up on the "research" part of the dds. Sadly he leaves it all up to me. I have tried and tried but my poor dh works 60+ hours a week and I guess this is just part of my responsibilites of the "team" to him.

BTW-My dh can be found over at thesamba.com looking at old vws instead of mtn bikes. VW's are one of his passions....

Take care all. I think it is really great that there is a daddy board.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page