Truck Tires, Power Tools and Beer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-12-2001, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tis' the season for giving and receiving.

I thought it might be nice to have dads post their desired gifts here for others to see as a way of sharing ideas, innocently requesting something, or even the just tossing out a gift idea for feedback on it.

Grandpabliss (papabliss's dad) wants a new circular saw, probably a Craftsman. A Dewalt would be great, but a little too spendy.

Last year, brother-in-lawbliss gave me a bright yellow outdoor extension cord with a built-in light on the business-end indicating if it is live. I love it and would recommend it for those looking for something practical and around $10.

I think a good pair of pliers is always a welcome gift, as are quality multi-tools.

Nice clothes are, well, nice. I would not usually get them for myself, but I do appreciate wearing them even though it takes me a year or two to change my habits enough to put them on.

Finally, quality cutlery. Nothing says "I love you" like a good knife.

Sorry if this is a little rich in the testosterone department, but hey, I gotta call em like I see em.

Happy Holidays!
#2 of 10 Old 12-13-2001, 03:00 PM

Good one, Papabliss!

My DH told me he wanted a circular saw, 8.5 inch blade, Skillsaw. My manly monkey would be less than excited about clothes...I also have two boys and I'm hearing: boxing gloves/sparring equipment, an ax, chainsaw (my 8-year-old is loving our new country lifestyle...chopping wood etc...) multitool, screwgun...

Me, I want a season pass to the nearby ski resort. Living in the mountains has so many plusses!

What's the deal on the different saw brands?
#3 of 10 Old 12-18-2001, 04:15 AM
Dov

I wanna new G4... this old clone (pre-G3) stinks... too slow, can't do things with new software and is held together with duct tape (to hold the backside cache chip in place otherwise it moves a breath and the thing crashes). I hate working on projects at school because some bonehead always messes up the server or locks up the workstations or messes with preferences... oy!

I'd like a house... well really even a piece o' land with a yurt on it would be swell (electricity from PV's, microhydro, or wind is fine). I wanna sleep under the stars.

I want my 2 yr old to stop pickin' on my 4.5 yr old... oh, that's my job, skip that...

I want to get this durned degree finished so I can get a job and earn some money (then I can have health insurance! Mebbe even go to the dentist... Whooohooo!)

I wanna climb mountains again like I did before my boogers came along... even better, I wanna climb them with my boogers...

Ah well, for now, I'll take a good night's sleep and a 9 am wakeup instead of 5:30.... good night.

Dov
#4 of 10 Old 12-18-2001, 04:20 AM
Dov

I wanna big giant digital TV that I can watch Sunderland with their new Midfielder, Capt. America (Claudio Reyna), turn their slump around and reclimb the Premiership table (FSW won't carry Premiership games live anymore and Sunderland is almost never on... except when they lose to Man Utd or some other jerks). An' a big ole pint a' Guiness to accompany it all...

I could use some spackle compound, a miter box and a cool powersaw too... that hole in the bathroom seems to be growing and the basemolding needs to be replaced.

'nite men.
Dov:cool:
#5 of 10 Old 12-22-2001, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

Family, job and laziness have kept me from replying till now.

First, Yammer, you hit it right, books are great! However, I wish everyone who gave me one would also give me the time to read it. I just picked a book out of my shelf to read. I have been meaning to read it but life caught up with me. The receipt was still in the pages (my preferred bookmark). It was dated 1995! I guess it is progress though.

If I had to venture a guess about the brands of saws and other power tools, I would rank them (depending upon the particular tool and price vs. quality, etc.) as follows from highest quality/features to lowest:

1. DeWalt
1. Milwaukee
3. Makita
4. Ryobi
5. Craftsman
6. Delta
7. the rest.

The tie for first is that DeWalt is excellent and expensive, but some of my friends who are professional handymen prefer Milwaukee which usually sells for less that DeWalt.

A G4? Especially now! I am typing this on a 500mhz G4 TiBook, but I cannot believe how much they have improved it since I got this in September! The new ones rock. I might get in trouble for saying this, but I can’t believe that people are still buying PCs, especially for kids and fun use (but I do have virtual PC on this machine just in case I have to venture to the dark side for some reason).

The best gift I will get this year will be the gaze my 1.5 mo old son gives me when I hold him. I think of the Drummer Boy song when I watch my son watch me. I know he is giving me the best gift he can, and it is the best gift there is!

Happy Holidays!
#6 of 10 Old 12-23-2001, 01:50 PM

(typing as Lorenzo sleeps in a sling on my chest, mommy at yoga...)

I gave myself a TiBook this year before Christmas, even though my company dispensed with bonuses for the second year in a row! Got it refurbished (checked dealmac every day for a month) so was a steal

This year am happy to be staying home with wife (robin-ma) and 11 month old Lorenzo at home instead of driving all over the place to parents' houses in different states. And the little one's little smiles and that fact that I get to be with him are the biggest gift I've ever gotten.
#7 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 09:56 AM

I should have read this before shopping for dh. I got him a big stack of cd's--Corey Harris and some bluegrass and Sinead Lohan and Dar Williams and a leather bag like a "I'm too cool for a briefcase, but I have this awsome leather saddlebag" bag. I know he bought me clothes from a fancy boutique. Can't wait to see.
Last year he insisted on a Milwaukee power drill. And if you all want advice about buying for wives: don't ever give your wife a dustbuster for her 30th birthday.
#8 of 10 Old 10-30-2004, 08:49 PM

Well lets see.... For christmas???? well i sually do not ask for anything. I am the sort where its more for my little ones really. I do not need any drills. Havinf a circular saw would be good. I am not too picky on what brand as long as it does not say made in tim buck two or vibrate excessively while spitting out the blade. (I witness first hand a saw blade flying out of the unit and right into a wall. Very scary) I guess I would surfice with either a skillsaw or maybe a rigid. It would nice to have but right now I am not needing it cause I do not own this place. I am not gonna do renos for a lanlord out of my pocket. Maybe a nice vacation would be cool.
#9 of 10 Old 10-31-2004, 08:53 PM

I just received my Christmas gift on 10/29/04 @ 8:55 p.m. It's called a daughter! Her name is Tara Grace.

All I ever want for Christmas is a card and to gather with family for a nice meal. I am simple when it comes to Christmas.
#10 of 10 Old 11-02-2004, 03:42 AM

The Black and Decker Self level and stud finder. The 3 in 1.

I new grill will be nice too..

Oh yeah and a new putter.....

OOOHHHHH a nice watch....

yeah thats sounds good, oh and some Calloway Golf Balls, yeah golf balls. I am tired of playing with the $5 for a whole bucket balls. Sweet..... :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page