Any babywearing dads???? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 07-27-2005, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With a newborn, I really liked the Infantino padded sling. When Kaia got a little older we got a pink butterfly batik OTSBH that worked well for us and made a good transition for me between the Infantino and the Maya Wrap. Once we got a Maya wrap, we both really liked that. DW and I are different sizes (I'm the smaller one), so having one sling that can be adjusted for both of us is very nice for going out. I've also used a Mei Tae (sp?) with good results. We just got a pouch sling from Nestlings sized for DW, but I can use it if I twist the strap up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 07-30-2005, 06:27 PM

these are kinda cool depending on your style...

www.babyhawk.com
#33 of 48 Old 07-31-2005, 10:45 AM

Wow-- those are some cool patterns.

I wear my daughter all the time-- usually in a maya wrap or a mei tai. The mei tai works well for hiking-- baby on front, pack on back. I also have a Kelty baby backpack , but the thing is huge and cumbersome and doesn't fit right. I have to get around to pulling the straps off and readjusting them (it was a handmedown) so they fit me more properly.

I am really jonesing for an Ergo-- they look so comfy.

Later.
#34 of 48 Old 08-01-2005, 03:57 PM

Although we have a Maya Wrap ring sling, a Wise Women ring sling, a Taylormade ring sling, a Doodlebug ABC, and a Kelty back pack....my husband prefers the Nojo simple ring sling that I got for 2.99 at a thrift store.
My 15 mo DD always falls asleep in it when he carries her in it...
He likes the padding methinks :nana:

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#35 of 48 Old 09-16-2005, 04:36 PM

My dh likes the simple unpadded ring sling I made with the directions on sleepingbaby.net. It's long adjustable for both of us to use
#36 of 48 Old 09-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Fi.

My partner and I both use one of these:

http://meitaicarrier.com/

I've tried others and they just don't measure up to her quality at ALL.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#37 of 48 Old 09-20-2005, 12:09 PM

My dh wore ds in a Maya wrap until he was over 3 years old. We started with an OTSBH, but dh didn't like all the padding...too hot and bulky. The Maya wrap was also easier for us to adjust between the two of us...
#38 of 48 Old 09-22-2005, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For us it was very accessable (we live 5 minutes from Babies R Us, and they sell them there...and they're comparitively inexpensive) to just get a Nojo sling. It's the one Dr. Sears "developed." It has rings, so it's adjustable, which means that whomever's using it (dad, mom, grandma, papa, etc.) is comfortable in it. Also, you can make it snug no matter which "hold" you're using. Our kids love them, live in them, and we have come to own several of them. We keep one in each car, one at home, one in the stroller, and one at each grandparent's house, for when we go for visits. Some of this came from "forgetting" them places, and some because we "forgot" to bring the sling with us from the house when we were going somewhere and had to pack the child in the carseat rather than directly into the sling. My husband loves to use the sling as much as I do, especially because the kids are so alert, aware, and happy in them! The nojo has a "pillow" for the shoulder, too, which is nice when the kids get heavier. The only reason that I'd go with another brand (Over the Shoulder Baby Holder, for example) is that the Nojo from Babies R Us are ususally just available in one, rather boyish, print. Which, as a dad, probably wouldn't bother you, but it got kinda old having people look at my little girl (*dressed in PINK) and say "what a dear little boy!" because she was in a bluejean-ish sling. Some of the other brands have a wide array of choices for fabrics from which to choose. Good luck!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#39 of 48 Old 09-26-2005, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmBnB
Dh uses two pouches that I made for him and a Sutemi.

http://albegar.com/gabrielpage.htm
The men in your life are adorable UmmBnB!
#40 of 48 Old 10-25-2005, 06:47 PM

dh and i each have a nojo. we have twins so we each sling one. we had a graco carrier w/ dd that she hated. dh loves slinging b/c he can play video games too!
danielle
#41 of 48 Old 10-31-2005, 12:57 AM

I loved wearing son1, and look forward to more with son2! Coltrane never really dug the sling, maybe too encompassing. He had a sweetness hour from 7-9pm where he was near inconsolable and tired but couldn't fall asleep, and so I would wear him in a Baby Bjorn to keep his hands from scratching his face. He would eventually fall asleep, and I could lean over and lay him on a bed and unhook everything, and not have to pull him out of anything and wake him. He also really liked the front carrier style when we wore him facing out so he could see everything.

Once he was bigger, I found a ring sling with a hip carry was the way to go. It hurt my back less to carry him more sideways (instead of on my front). It still worked great for putting him to sleep at night, as I could lay him down and slide out of the sling, leaving him lying on it.

As a wanderer, however, I cannot recommend strongly enough a frame pack carrier, like a Kelty. I go on long walks in the woods with Coltrane, and we sometimes hike as a family. The only way I can imagine going for more than 20-30min. is by getting that weight off of your shoulders and onto your hips. If you don't hike, though, these type are probably too bulky and awkward to be practical, and they're certainly expensive.

I am looking forward to seeing which carriers little Emmett takes a shine to. If the first two months are any indication, he'll probably love evrything his brother hated!
#42 of 48 Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 PM

My dh tried all of my slings and carriers and really did not like any of them. Finally one of his (also male) friends showed him a Hot Sling and dh and ds love it. It is the only carrier he uses and he wears ds in it proudly. They are so cute.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#43 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 05:11 PM

Wife has 2 Zolos (black silk and natural cotton) and I have a khaki one. Carried DS in them from about 6 months till about 1 1/2. I doubt he would put up with it now (he's 2) but I've been wanting to try and see if I can sling him on my back. Loved it when he was a baby though. Kept the icky strangers away!

:
#44 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 04:10 PM

I see a lot of Dads walking around our mall here with a babycarrier...and I think it's wonderful that Dads are helping out! But why does my husband feel shy?ashamed?embarrassed? about wearing one too?? Any ideas from Dads out there?
#45 of 48 Old 01-21-2006, 09:05 PM

My husband and I both love the mei tei carrier. I'm 5'7 and he's 6'2 and we use the same one. We got ours from www.babyhawk.com and it is wonderful. We've used it since our babies (twins) were a week old. They're almost 6 months and we all still love it. We have the reversible black/tattoo flash and get compliments on it all the time. I just wish I had've gotten the one with a pocket on the front panel to carry diapers in...
I've never used another carrier and don't plan on it.
#46 of 48 Old 01-24-2006, 02:53 AM

I use a hotsling (hotslings.com) . It puts him right to sleep when I walk.
I tried an older model snuggly, but it dug into my shoulders and didn't feel secure.

wsgrl84,
I feel a sense of tremendous pride wearing my DS in public. It's a proclamation that I love him, and that I'm taking care of him. I do feel a bit awkward around people who don't notice him, or who think I'm odd, but I mostly feel sorry for them.

It feels weird to see people carrying carseats, not touching their children.
#47 of 48 Old 01-31-2006, 05:15 AM

[QUOTE=jenmcguire]My husband and I both love the mei tei carrier... We got ours from www.babyhawk.com and it is wonderful...We have the reversible black/tattoo flash and get compliments on it all the time. QUOTE]

Same here! DH uses it with the solid black side facing outwards though. I thought the tattoo print would be guy enough, but oh well. He also uses an Ergo carrier.
#48 of 48 Old 01-31-2006, 11:51 PM

Dh walked dd1 home from the hospital in a wrap, using cross-carry, and didn't stop until she was 3 1/2 years old.
He prefers the Girasol, in blue w/yellow stripes, but sometimes uses my red didymos.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page