BF benefits for dad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-04-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering if there are any dad's out there thought they benefited from mom and baby breastfeeding? We always talk about benefits to mom and to baby, but what about to dads?
#2 of 24 Old 08-04-2005, 01:34 PM

I'm not a dad ;-> But here's a page with some good links about it.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/pre...ks-father.html

Major point in my view is that BFing pairs generate a lot of feel-good-and-relax hormones.
Mothers *and* Fathers show lower rates of depression and anxiety when mama BFs the baby.
#3 of 24 Old 08-04-2005, 01:36 PM

My dh will tell you he benefitted by not having to wake up for night feeds.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#4 of 24 Old 08-04-2005, 02:06 PM

I definately benefited as I didn't have to run downstairs 4x a night in the early infant days. Also, we were living in a city in the beginning and without a car, so we didn't have to pack bottles, etc., to carry on the bus or foot. My DW would just sit and feed.

So, YES, I benefited, too.
#5 of 24 Old 08-08-2005, 02:36 AM
Dov

Yeah, the "gear bag" is lighter without artificial feeding gear. The "intimate" side effects of a BFing mama were pretty awesome too. I too benefitted from sufficient sleep thanks to the family bed and easy feedings. The unquantifiable part.. that amazing feeling I got whenever I saw my kids nursing, my wife feeding them, the epitome of "sustainability" right in front of me, and then seeing how strong and fit they grew... I remember that sense of being so solidly grounded, so earthen. I loved that.... other than the birth, it's been the second best part of having kids so far, in my mind. BF-ing rules!
#6 of 24 Old 08-08-2005, 11:48 AM

I'm a mama but I think I can speak for my dh that he benefited from me BFing our DS in that we had a healthy baby that didn't get sick very often. Seems like bottle fed babe's are much more sick than BFed and we all know that sick babe's bring the entire household down.

-Becky
DH 10/01, DS 1/04, DS 1/06, DS 5/09 (born sleeping), DD 4/11
#7 of 24 Old 08-11-2005, 07:32 PM

My dh says the best part of breastfeeding is cuddling while the baby is nursing so that you are all three connected. He also likes to look at the baby over my shoulder so he gets some of those cute looks from the baby.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#8 of 24 Old 08-11-2005, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91
Mine too. He says family bed and BF were the reason he was able to do his high-precision work without difficulty; because of all the sleep he could get even with a new baby!
#9 of 24 Old 08-12-2005, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH would say yes, yes, yes. he gets more sleep and has to do less work. truly. feeding is all me. AND he has happier kiddos. he also likes to brag, since coworkers, family and most friends are "mainstream." he talks up how long and unabashedly i nurse our babies and stuff like that. he is the BEST advocate and supporter. AND i would have to give him this one, b/c he wouldn't have come up with it - he saves money. no bills for formula or sicknesses and as yet, no need for any special schooling b/c our kids are smart little whips.
#10 of 24 Old 08-12-2005, 09:02 PM

Definitely having a healthier, happier baby is the first benefit dh could think of (well, to be honest, the first was bigger boobs and, um, he appreciated the fun of the milk too :LOL). Neither one of us having to get up for night feedings. Feel-good hormones in the beginning meant he could have asked me if it was okay if he demolished half the house and I would have said yes. Breastfed poops before she started solids. Ease of travelling/camping without needing to pack bottles or special foods before starting solids (and she started solids late, so it was an extra bonus). And of course not having to spend money on formula was good too.
#11 of 24 Old 08-15-2005, 03:10 AM

Yes, golf. Sorry to interupt, but the greatest bfing story I heard had to do with a husband who was very mainstream & unsure / nervous about everything. The wife realized he'd be fine and would learn to love & support bf once he adjusted to being a new Dad, their different roles, etc. so she just told him to calculate the cost of formula for a year in comparison to the nearby golf club's membership. When formula lost, she promised that if he relaxed, they'd get the membership because of how much bfing would save them and thats exactly what happened. Now he's probably the most vocal supporter of bfing of all my friends' husbands and he's very quick to point all the benefits of it for both baby & Daddy
#12 of 24 Old 08-15-2005, 03:56 PM

ITA with the happier, healthier baby (less colic, gas, stomach woes in general.) DH is also just proud at how our big, fast growing babies are "all mama milk"....he thinks of it as a team accomplishment!!

It's so much easier to pack up and go anywhere too, like the others said. I just need some diapers for DD and we're off. As others mentioned, the financial savings are HUGE!!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#13 of 24 Old 08-16-2005, 11:57 AM

According to one article I read, breastfed babies poop less (quantity, not frequency) than formula fed babies because there is less waste. (The formula contains more ingredients that the babies body cannot use. More of the human milk is useful to the baby.) and breastfed babies have stools that smell much better.

The nicer smelling diapers are especially pleasant if cosleeping is involved.

Check out 101 reasons to breastfeed
http://www.promom.org/101/index.html

Chances are good that dads (and moms!) will have to spend less money if their child is breastfeed, not only on the formula/bottles/supllies for mixing etc.

But also since breastfed babies are less likely to need medical treatment, speech therapy, braces,

less pads/tampons for moms (since bf moms get their periods back later than ff moms) and on and on.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#14 of 24 Old 08-17-2005, 09:27 AM

my partner is greek, and even more worried about eatting than the average american. ("my big fat greek wedding" was really on target in a lot of ways.) one of his favorite things about breastfeeding our especially picky toddler is knowing that she gets balanced nutrition, even when she only eats one food for a week at a time.
#15 of 24 Old 08-17-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry_kokkino
my partner is greek, and even more worried about eatting than the average american. ("my big fat greek wedding" was really on target in a lot of ways.) one of his favorite things about breastfeeding our especially picky toddler is knowing that she gets balanced nutrition, even when she only eats one food for a week at a time.
I'm Romanaina and we are equally food obsessed. When your 5 mo old is 19 1/2 lbs and all you did was bf, absolutely no one asks you if you are feeding her enough. To ask would be ridiculous! Of couser after a while they told me she would get addicted ... (shigh)
#16 of 24 Old 08-17-2005, 03:26 PM

yeah, my mother-in-law wasn't as clear on the concept. she felt that bf wasn't as good for a 13 month-old as vanilla pudding. the sugar high and crash after that stopped that argument from repeating. i think she was just unhappy that her granddaughter wasn't eatting her food, that i was (unintentionally) getting in the way of that food=love relationship. shrug.
#17 of 24 Old 08-17-2005, 04:05 PM

Hubby is dictating this post:

1. He feels more bonded to both of us just watching me nurse DS, it gives him warm and fuzzy feelings. It reminds him that he was nursed, if only for a short time.

2. He's the working-for-money one, and he appreciates how easy it is on the wallet. He recently priced out formula, using the "best", most expensive, and figured that the exclusive breastfeeding (until over 11 months old) saved us $14,000 in DS's first year.

3. He never has to worry about DS's nutrition and he doesn't worry about how sanitary his food is or where formula comes from/is mixed with, because it comes from me.

4. If he ever needs cream for his coffee, he knows who to ask. bwa ha ha...

(he'd mention the night-feeding one, but he's always been very nice about helping me in the wee hours, so he's still had to wake with us sometimes)
#18 of 24 Old 09-06-2005, 01:28 AM

I just might have to disagree that BFing is cheap. (However, I do think it is cheaper than formula.) My DS is 8 months and exclusively BF. So, just for curiousosity we calculated DWs caloric intake...4000 to 4200 per day! That can hurt the budget! AND she is back to her prebabe weight and fit b/c of it, which I love!
I wouldn't have had it any other way, that's for sure!
I also enjoy her body and her breasts more, (we all know that dads love milk too!) now that they are doing what they were designed to do!
I totally agree with the others on benefits too!
I am sure there are lots more too!
#19 of 24 Old 09-06-2005, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91
:LOL I think that is true. And it also includes that dh will not worry in making the baby healthy.
#20 of 24 Old 09-06-2005, 06:07 PM

I'm a dad and have benefitted greatly. My wife hasn't since she has to wake up and feed. We do co-sleep so BF at night is "easier". I like BF especially when DS and now DD spit up. Formula spit up smells awful!!! BF spit up does not have that nasty smell to it. I benefit also knowing that my children are receiving top notch nutrition and affection from Mommy. I also benefitted because my coffee tastes better with breast milk - just kidding!! :LOL
#21 of 24 Old 09-06-2005, 06:49 PM

I'm not ashamed to tell people that I am absolutely arrogant when it comes to my little girl. We've got an extremely happy, healthy, and secure 3 y.o., and I totally attribute it to b.f. I realize that this is still a benefit for the baby, but as a dad, I'm especially proud of my DW for persevering and doing all that she can for our little one.

As parents, we all want what's best for our children, and so I consider it an absolute benefit that our children are getting what's best for them. Now that we have another child here, I can't wait to reap these benefits yet again!
#22 of 24 Old 09-12-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclyn7
Yes, golf. Sorry to interupt, but the greatest bfing story I heard had to do with a husband who was very mainstream & unsure / nervous about everything. The wife realized he'd be fine and would learn to love & support bf once he adjusted to being a new Dad, their different roles, etc. so she just told him to calculate the cost of formula for a year in comparison to the nearby golf club's membership. When formula lost, she promised that if he relaxed, they'd get the membership because of how much bfing would save them and thats exactly what happened. Now he's probably the most vocal supporter of bfing of all my friends' husbands and he's very quick to point all the benefits of it for both baby & Daddy
That's great! :LOL :LOL
#23 of 24 Old 09-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Another Reason:

Less sickness. My BF baby did not have a single shiffle or other illness until 7 mo. old, when he started daycare and was introduced to viruses that I did not get first. During those 7 mo., I had 3 colds. Including one where I was in bed, miserable for 7 days. The little guy did not get sick.
#24 of 24 Old 09-24-2005, 11:03 PM

I'm not a dad either but wanted to share dh's recently voiced appraisal of the situation. With our firstborns, our twins, he was up every 1-3 hours with me all night long - I'd nurse one while he bottlefed (EBM) the other, then switch for next feeding. He was as exhausted as I was. However he really felt that he "bonded" to the babies and got to know them so well. He always sort of bragged, with my support, that he was so involved early on and was up all night with me helping, and that he and the kids are so close because of it.

Well fast forward to baby #3. No premature delivery and no feeding issues this time, and we've been exclusively BFing from the start. Our baby sleeps with us. Dh was really apprehensive about being able to bond with our baby, because the experience is SO very different than last time, and he thought that was why he bonded to the twins... i.e., being able to feed them with a bottle. Well, you know what, turns out my husband likes his sleep. After the first couple of weeks, when he'd get up to change the baby before I fed him when needed, he no longer had to wake up (baby stopped pooping at night lol), and he would sleep right through every feeding. So instead, dh bonded with our baby the way fathers have for millenia... by playing with him and holding him. Turns out, he's just as bonded to baby #3 as he is to the twins. I always knew it was a load of cr@p that a grandma or father had to feed the baby to bond with him, but turns out I was right.

Dh also says he is really proud of me when we go out and I nurse the baby, kinda like, hey look how great a mom she is. Awww.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page