Baby Slingin Dads - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-15-2005, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im hopin its not just me but when your babywearin do alot of folks look at you weird? Like its a mix between a child being seen with the father let alone the father actually wearing the baby.

Whats your experience?
#2 of 26 Old 09-16-2005, 12:05 AM

haha, everyone looks at my DH like he has lost it. he just smiles.
Like he says "there is NOTHING manly about pushing your tiny baby around in a huge stroller that is pastel plaid and has little animals on it" :LOL
Keep on wearing your babe, and smile like you know something they dont, cause you do!! Babywearing is where its at!!!
#3 of 26 Old 09-16-2005, 09:29 AM

I'm lucky to be living in Germany where baby wearing by moms and dads is much more common than most places in the States. But there still aren't so many dads who practice this here. I do get some funny looks from mostly older men and an occasional macho younger type. I feel sad for them, honestly, because they are cutting themselves off from such a wonderful experience. Having a child and being close to them is an incredible opportunity for men to reclaim some of the humanity that has been socialized out of us. All this crap about what it means to be a man is just that - crap! Women usually don't give me stupid looks, they seem to like it.

When I get funny looks I either stare back in a non-confrontational way (people get really nervous when they realize they are being stared at, too, and often emabarassed at their own behavior). Or I talk to my dd and say something like "what a shame, they don't seem to understand" or "we don't care, we love being together". It may be a bit silly but it makes me feel better.
#4 of 26 Old 09-16-2005, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

it is true, some men just dont know what they are missing. In my area i know of about 2 or 3 other men who wear their child.
#5 of 26 Old 09-16-2005, 03:29 PM

My dh is in the military and slings dd all the time. You should see the looks he gets from other people around the base. He doesn't care, he says the only look he cares about is from dd, and she is smiling.
#6 of 26 Old 09-16-2005, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

thats great! Im sure the military can be rough on a guy doing what could be considered a non macho thing. on a sid enote does have a olive drab or camo sling? that would be perfect
#7 of 26 Old 09-16-2005, 05:23 PM

Interestingly enough.. Firstly my response. I typically don't do the carrier in public thing. Our 10 month old is just as happy or happier in the stroller so she can look out and alert the world that she is on the way. At home when it's nap or sleep time, I'm happy to do the carrier but it's just not that big of a deal to me. One thing I won't do is "hold the baby" If I'm going to hold her, she's going in the sling. I get tired "holding the baby" but in the carrier isn't "holding the baby to me"

You were talking about the military. My dad was an officer in the Air Force during the early parts of the Vietnam War. He was talking to me recently about how as an officer he was instructed to never have anything in his hands. No umbrella, no baby, etc. When it was raining, he was to wear his rain covers and his wife was to hold her own umbrella. (This is military talking, not my dad saying "This is how it should be") My dad said the words "I really never held any of you children and know that was a mistake" It's interesting that he doesn't have much closeness to his kids now. I'm cordial with him and we spend some time together but at 30 years old I'm too old and busy to worry about fixing the past etc.

Has anyone else ever heard this? It actually makes some sense to me about the public issue (not at home of course) I can understand how at some point that a man in uniform would do this. I don't think this is the case now but I could be wrong.

(I just don't worry too much about the carrier in public thing. I go out with our daughter all the time and do things, we just don't do the sling. The sling was definitely more suited to her when she was younger. She doesn't really like being confined if she's not sleeping in it these days)
#8 of 26 Old 09-16-2005, 05:53 PM

I wore my son a little and wear my daughter. I love it.
#9 of 26 Old 09-16-2005, 10:57 PM

DH slings MUCH more often than I do; he can't just stick a boob in to make the fussing stop.

And the baby is a chunk, so just walking around Home Depot with the sling is more of a workout than going to the gym these days. Everyone seems to think it's really cool.

ETA: DH is in the military-- I guess officially he should have a plain black sling, but it's not like he's really using the sling when he's in uniform. As soon as work is over, he changes clothes and hightails it home. Then nobody cares that the thing is purple and orange striped.
#10 of 26 Old 05-24-2006, 07:50 PM

We are looked at strangely no matter who wears DS. But we live in the boonies
#11 of 26 Old 05-26-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissei
We are looked at strangely no matter who wears DS. Buy we live in the boonies
heh. I had to double-check, because I thought you might be my DW. Just yesterday a mom asked her 4-y-o, "Did you see the man with his baby?!" I feel all proud in those moments, because I'm being a good dad and showing it off too.

I bought diapers yesterday, (ran outta CD on a car journey) and ds chucked the wipes on the floor (new trick!) I said, "That requires effort you know!" A woman swooped down out of the clothing racks and handed them to me! If I were single, he'd be my wing-man anyday.
#12 of 26 Old 05-26-2006, 03:03 PM

DH gets some strange looks. Last week someone actually came up and suggested he get a Baby Bjorn or a backpack... he smiled and said "We have them but they aren't as comfortable and don't work as well"
#13 of 26 Old 05-26-2006, 03:17 PM

my dh loves putting my dd in the sling and he is very proud of it. we have a purple one and a green one, so he feels comfortable since it doesn't look to feminine and because of him wearing it, he has three other manly dads wearinf their babes !!!!!!!!!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#14 of 26 Old 05-26-2006, 04:50 PM

dh wears dd all the time.....he gets his share of strange looks as well as solicitous advice from older women on how to raise baby, care for baby etc, etc...he just smiles....a proud baby wearing papa!
#15 of 26 Old 05-26-2006, 06:36 PM

I wanted to jump in to say that my husband has used a sling with both our kids and had nothing but positive reponses.

:
#16 of 26 Old 05-27-2006, 04:48 PM

dh likes to wear dd so much! people look at him like he was an alien....

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#17 of 26 Old 05-27-2006, 07:00 PM

My DH says a lot more older asian women smile approvingly at him when he wears our one-yo DS. If anyone is looking at him weird, he doesn't notice.

And he thinks babywearing is a chick magnet, anyway. "Better than a puppy." he says.
#18 of 26 Old 05-28-2006, 10:45 AM

My DH LOVES wearing our daughter & has gotten nothing but positive comments!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#19 of 26 Old 05-28-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzie'sma
My dh is in the military and slings dd all the time. You should see the looks he gets from other people around the base. He doesn't care, he says the only look he cares about is from dd, and she is smiling.
Same here!! I am so proud of him!!!! He loves it. At first he was insecure about ds falling out but now he has the hang of. He gets alot of approving looks from grandmas and asians, (alot on base.) DS loves being slung by whoever so it is awin win situation. Since I sell them now it is a real selling point.
#20 of 26 Old 05-28-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl2k5
Interestingly enough.. Firstly my response. I typically don't do the carrier in public thing. Our 10 month old is just as happy or happier in the stroller so she can look out and alert the world that she is on the way. At home when it's nap or sleep time, I'm happy to do the carrier but it's just not that big of a deal to me. One thing I won't do is "hold the baby" If I'm going to hold her, she's going in the sling. I get tired "holding the baby" but in the carrier isn't "holding the baby to me"

You were talking about the military. My dad was an officer in the Air Force during the early parts of the Vietnam War. He was talking to me recently about how as an officer he was instructed to never have anything in his hands. No umbrella, no baby, etc. When it was raining, he was to wear his rain covers and his wife was to hold her own umbrella. (This is military talking, not my dad saying "This is how it should be") My dad said the words "I really never held any of you children and know that was a mistake" It's interesting that he doesn't have much closeness to his kids now. I'm cordial with him and we spend some time together but at 30 years old I'm too old and busy to worry about fixing the past etc.

Has anyone else ever heard this? It actually makes some sense to me about the public issue (not at home of course) I can understand how at some point that a man in uniform would do this. I don't think this is the case now but I could be wrong.

(I just don't worry too much about the carrier in public thing. I go out with our daughter all the time and do things, we just don't do the sling. The sling was definitely more suited to her when she was younger. She doesn't really like being confined if she's not sleeping in it these days)
The reason they can't have stuff in their hands is so they can salute. Dh doesn't wear her in uniform but he ONLY wears his uniform at work. And if he works night he wears civilian clothes most of the time. He wears her at BBQ, and the comissary, and just when were out and about. Anyway here is a pic of him with her on his back in the Ellaroo at Thanksgiving. So cute
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMAG0200.jpg
#21 of 26 Old 05-30-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzie'sma
The reason they can't have stuff in their hands is so they can salute. Dh doesn't wear her in uniform but he ONLY wears his uniform at work. And if he works night he wears civilian clothes most of the time. He wears her at BBQ, and the comissary, and just when were out and about. Anyway here is a pic of him with her on his back in the Ellaroo at Thanksgiving. So cute
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMAG0200.jpg
AWWW!!!!! That is so sweet!

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#22 of 26 Old 05-31-2006, 11:38 AM

I think most women look at a man wearing a baby and think "Wow! Now, that is sexy".

Just make sure it's a Manly baby carrier. Nothing says "whipped" like a man with a pink carrier.
#23 of 26 Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl2k5
My dad was an officer in the Air Force during the early parts of the Vietnam War. He was talking to me recently about how as an officer he was instructed to never have anything in his hands. No umbrella, no baby, etc. When it was raining, he was to wear his rain covers and his wife was to hold her own umbrella. (This is military talking, not my dad saying "This is how it should be") My dad said the words "I really never held any of you children and know that was a mistake" It's interesting that he doesn't have much closeness to his kids now. I'm cordial with him and we spend some time together but at 30 years old I'm too old and busy to worry about fixing the past etc.
You and I could have had the same Dad. My Mother had to carry EVERYTHING at all times. Even if he was out of uniform. (My dad was also lazy) We also had a cordial relationship with him before he passed away. But, we were never really close.

I can't even imagine a man in uniform carrying a baby in anything. It would suprise me, but I would be pleased to see that.
#24 of 26 Old 05-31-2006, 02:31 PM

You know, I think part of the reason why my husband likes wearing the baby so much is because of all of the funny looks and stares he gets!
#25 of 26 Old 06-05-2006, 12:11 AM

I sling my DD every chance I get! (Which isn't often enough, imho, as my wife always wants to have her) When my wife is in class, I carry her for three to six hours while we wait for her to finish.

We march all around downtown Lansing, with hordes of lawyers, state buereacrats, and what-have-yous tromping past us. We get coffee at the beanery, bagels at the bakery, browse at the public library, and (most importantly) we hang at the local comic book shop. (3wk old DD likes Batman, I tell you! Really!)

So far, I've gotten mostly "Ohhh is that a baby in there? Oh, how cute!" and "Gee, I never thought to carry my baby like that!" Granted, she's three weeks old and reactions might change as she gets older.

Still, I plan on baby slinging for as long as I can, my mom assures me that I will (eventual) have to let go of my daughter... but I'll be darned if its going to be to put her in a stroller or a baby bucket.
#26 of 26 Old 06-19-2006, 12:53 AM

I wore my babies a bit, but felt a lot more comfortable carrying them on my arm. My little guy now goes to sleep every night with me holding him. His nightly routine starts with a PILE of blonde hair on my shoulder....

Ain't that a : moment???

AP

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page