Need some Dad opinions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2005, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alrighty. I want to know what you guys think. I'm getting SO two gifts for the holidays--one is something big for him, and something small that relates to the baby. Baby is due Jan 7, so I need to think of something that would come in handy.

What is something that you have found helpful with your newborn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 PM

:
Old 11-19-2005, 01:11 AM

Not sure how he is, but I liked having a Cozy Carrier (sp) that was a non flamboyant color. We had the Maya Wrap and I just didn't feel right wearing it. It never felt right in both comfort and just overall. We had a Snugli (junk!). We got a Blue Cozy Carrier about 6 months later and I still wear our 1 year old in it on a regular basis. My wife has one that is black with flowered designs on the front and I don't like wearing that one.

I would have worn our daughter more in a sling had I had a proper one that worked well. The Maya Wrap seemed mostly designed for breastfeeding a newborn. (I know it has ways to carry older ones and in different positions, but again it just didn't feel right for me) The Cozy Carrier can be that as well, but it seemed more suited for male use as well. (Just personal opinion)

You asked specifically for newborn specific gifts for him. A "guY" diaper bag? I refused to carry one of the giant pink bags with frills hanging off of it. I banned a Jansport backpack as well because it has 400 pockets and I could never find what I was looking for.

I'd go the sling route if he's in to that sort of thing. I wasn't really in to it, but carrying her in a sling is no problem when you have the right tool.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

The diaper bag that we got from the baby shower is black, has light blue trim (very little, though. It's 99% black) and says 'Baby Sack' on it. It's not really all frilly.

I might go the sling route. I don't know if he'd really use it, but it might be something that he would try and love. Maybe let him use mine around the house once or twice to see if he likes it (I really hate getting something and getting no use out of it!). If it's physically comfortable, then we'll get one for him that suits his taste. I got him a book, but it's way more mainstream than I like. It was the only one that looked half way decent that was 'for dads' specificly. If I'm crunchy, this book is soggy.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:25 PM

The only thing that we have that I can say "helps" would be the glider rocker that I originally bought for the wife. We both use it quite a bit. the motion seems to really help our yongest fall asleep. We can't rock in our normal rocker/recliner with her as she starts to fuss.

Aside from that a good digital camera is what I use the most with the kids, gotta have one that is always on the ready for the first smiles and well any time the baby is being cute (ok so literally all the time).
Old 11-19-2005, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Digia Camera!! Yes!! We're getting one. I knew that I'd need a camera to have around, and real film is both expensive and full of Gelatin, so I'm going digital.

Thanks for reminding me. We're going to get one for Christmas. We ask for a 'family gift' from each person in the family, so that we can get something good. This is going to be my requet this year.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:46 PM

Digital camera has been really nice for us. They can't pose so it's nice to be able to snap snap snap and not have to worry about film.

Depending on how much he'll be watching her will depend on a lot on the carrier I'd say. I am 1 on 1 with our daughter a lot and have been since day 1 and I really get physically tired holding her and won't do it. Putting her in the sling though I'm happy to do! She's really growing out of it though as she really likes cruising in the stroller these days. With 2 on the way, my wife doesn't use the carrier much either as it's uncomfortable. But seeing as she likes the stroller and enjoys riding in it, that's been a nice change.

I still use the carrier to help her calm down for naps and when I want to get my exercise and don't have the alone time for 45 minutes to an hour to do it. Same goes for those times when she just won't let us put her down and still need to get things done.

I wear it around the neighborhood but probably wouldn't at the mall etc. I know that's not a popular stance but it's just me *shrug* I do my part in other ways. With the 2 new ones though, there likely won't be a choice but to pick one or 2 up and carry them as necessary.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:00 AM
Dov

ITA with previous posters: digital camera and a sling. Perfect tools for a new Dad.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:30 PM

I would say the wind up swing has been the best thing so far for DD. I would also suggest a digital camera as well for your hubby.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my Dad asked what we wanted for Christmas, cash or a camera? I chose the camera. So, I'm going to get him some Native American stuff (He's a member of the NAC) and a Tool shirt that matches the onesie that we ordered for the baby. It's so cute! I can't wait to take a picture of them matching.

Thanks for the feedback! What do you think about a subscription to a special interest magazine? It's something that he'll get use of all year.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:59 AM

Greenie--

I vote "YES" on the magazine subscription--I am a bit of a magazine junky, and love getting my issues in the mail. It's a great gift idea for exactly the reason you mentioned (it's the gift that keeps on giving!).

A couple of recommendations, if you don't already have some ideas: VegNews and Brain, Child are both great reads. (It's too bad there's not a "Fathering" magazine!)

User Tag List