Toyota Sienna Q's - X-Posted from TAO - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2005, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I don't know if this is where I should inquire about this.....
We are shopping for a new car since we can't fit two Britax Huskies & a baby carseat in our car. I really like the Sienna LE 8 passenger. I've been told that the LE 8 doesn't come in AWD. How does the LE FWD perform in the snow/rain? I can avoid the snow, but I'm wondering about the rain. How about the "traction control" option, anyone have that?
I'm thinking about The LE 8 with the Package 1 - so confusing! Will I be missing out on anything REALLY important if I only get Package #1?
And how cool is that 8th seat option? TIA for any info!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2005, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The 8th seat option is why I got the Sienna. I can easily fit three Britax Wizards across the second row. That said, it is the only reason I like the van. I miss my Honda Odysey so bad! I don't want to give up being able to have three big carseats in the middle though since we are hoping to add baby #3 soon.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
Old 11-23-2005, 08:49 AM

We are considering the Odyssey. We have a 1 year old with a set of twins on the way. Why not put 2 in the middle row and 1 in the back? I realize for ease of getting to them and all that, but the Sienna's we saw were considerably higher priced. I think the Odyssey was around 32-33k and the Siennas similiarly equipped were 37?

I asked the salesman "Why would I buy a Sienna for 4-5k if Odyssey is your equal" All he could say was the telescopic steering wheel and "Some people just like Toyotas"
Old 11-23-2005, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Carrie, how come you miss your Odyssey? Is there anything you don't like about the Sienna?

rdl2k5, when I've compared the Oddy & Sienna, the prices are only hundreds apart....the LE & the competitive Oddy model were very close in price. If anything, I actually found the Sienna to be a bit less. I was thinking that the 8 passenger option was nice because I could put all three kids in the middle row & fold down the back row for travel. I'm just afraid that if I get the 7 passenger, I'll miss not being able to have all of them right behind me. The Sienna also has more tether anchor options than the Odyssey.
I've found new 2005 LE 8 with packages 1 & 2 priced at $22,000 - that is pretty affordable compared to some models that I've been looking at.
Thanks for your input guys!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 11-24-2005, 01:40 AM

We got a used (leased) 7-passenger Sienna and we LOVE it! Just got it in Aug, so no snow experience yet. We have the safety package (ours is an '04 so the package #'s are different.) It's great in the rain. I also found the Siennas, new and used, in our area to be slightly cheaper than Odyssys. Of course we weren't looking at the super delux models like the PP must have been. nak
Old 11-24-2005, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We just bought a new 2005 Sienna 7 passenger XLE and we love it so much. Have you checked out the forums in http://www.siennaclub.org yet? Tons of information, and those folks are very obsessed with their Siennas.

For us, the most important thing we learned on those forums was the manufacturer's loyalty program which you negotiate separately with the manufacturer. You can search for "loyalty incentive" to try to find the thread. My dh got a generous check from Toyota using the information on that thread.

But in addition they have other information, like what is a good deal in your area, endless information on each and every option, etc.

We checked the Odyssey first, because our Civic was perfect for five years and we just prefer Hondas. But the Toyota had a much smoother ride, and that's what we wanted because our dd gets carsick very easily.

We got the XLE because I wanted the automatically sliding doors. I have two kids 22 months apart and it was hard to struggle to the car to get the doors open and shut in narrow parking spaces while carrying one child, holding the others hand, and carrying groceries. It's also horribly, suffocatingly hot here in Texas in the summer and I like opening both doors from a distance to give the car a chance to cool off before I get there.

Have fun. Be sure to check out the incentive program on those sienna club boards. You might get a cash windfall that will surprise you.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

inezyv, Thanks so much for the link!!! I can't wait to check it out! Our dd's get carsick too, esp the older one. Have you tried homeopathics for them? I like Nux vomica & Cocculus indicus - for the 5 hr+ trips I break down & use a quarter tablet of Dramamine - it's either that or vomit everywhere & one unhappy child.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:19 AM

I never tried homeopathics. I always thought that Rosie's carsickness had to do with her medical problems. I am taking notes and I am definitely going to explore this. Thank you for the lead. Good luck on the loyalty incentive! Just follow the instructions on that thread and they will guide you. My dh is a great negotiator, he got more than anyone else on the thread, hint, hint.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Inezyv, I've been scanning the forums over there at the Sienna Club & I belive the "loyalty incentive" is for those who already own a Toyota, which we do not. I've been trying to figure out who your Dh is....it's not easy figuring out who paid what I have gotten some awesome info from those folks though, now if I could just get the deal done! This is so stressful! :

Old 11-26-2005, 04:38 PM

Rats, if you don't already own a Toyota! We owned one, and my dh explained that he was from a Toyota family who all owned Toyotas, too, but that his wife really wanted a Honda Odyssey because her family all owned Hondas. We got a $500 check directly from Toyota about two weeks after we bought the Sienna. The dealer never knew about it, per Toyota's instructions.

So you may want to give it some thought.

Our Sienna made a dramatic difference in dd's carsickness. She only got carsick one time in four months, but she was getting carsick on almost every drive in the Civic. I wish I had been able to afford to upgrade our car long before that so she didn't have to suffer.

You may want to ask reallyl specific questions about dealers in your area -- and by "in your area" I mean anywhere you are willing to drive or have dh drive to pick up the car. My dh drove to Bryan, which is about seventy miles away, when the dealers here in Austin were difficult to work with.

Hmmm... one other idea is to let go of your color preference. I wanted a white minivan, because of the Texas heat, but I took my fourth color choice because it was on the lot and I got a much better deal that way.

Have fun. The sliding doors and running boards make a big difference in terms of the kids' ability to get in and out of the car by themselves.

User Tag List