suggestions for new baby gift for papa? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2006, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have friends that are having their 2nd child. i know what to get mom b/c she and i are alike in a lot of ways (mothering mag & making a sling for her). but, i have no idea what to get dad. they have a 3yo ds & aren't finding out the sex of #2, due in march. dad is pretty much a redneck...hate to sterio-type but that's the short description. i can't imagine he'd sling the new one...they only family bed b/c it's "the easiest way to make bed time work". no AP or GD from dad and he doesn't read. so, any suggestions? i am at a complete loss. even if you don't fit this daddy's description let me know what you wanted. ideas might help me get in the right frame of mind for figuring this out. thanks for your help!

::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 04:39 AM

gosh this is a tough one! maybe just a nice tshirt that says something about being a proud papa? i found a shirt at target last year that says "classic daddy" in the design like classic coke. it's my dh's favorite shirt. or matching shirts that are gender neutral for baby and dad?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:19 PM

Perhaps something that he can play with the baby with, or better yet something he can play with the older child with. That way the older child won't feel left out when the new one shows up.

The fellow not being able to read poses some difficulty, otherwise I'd suggest a book on games to play with a 3yo toddler. Is there a mutual activity that the husband and son enjoy?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

i didn't mean to imply that dad can't read...he just doesn't(won't). he'd rather have his head under the hood of a truck than really participate in the house. he & his son spend lots of time together but it's more or less son getting tools for dad & watching what dad is doing rather than dad actually playing with him. i know this isn't terribly helpful but keep the ideas coming.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:23 AM

So a wrenchhead... I don't know what to get a wrenchhead... Maybe a new car part?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:33 AM

A fifth of Scotch, preferably a single malt, works around here - actually good for any occasion!
Old 01-05-2006, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

a wrenchhead! you've got it now! ~groan~ don't get me started on the alcohol issue with him(and son)-way off topic!

i know it might be too much too ask but if the new one is a dd i'd like to get him something that will help them bond. i can only hope that making the sling big enough and helping mama & papa understand how to use it will encourage him to wear the new baby...maybe while playing with ds. like i said before though, the babywearing is highly unlikely, that's why i'm looking for other ideas.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:00 PM

Books on tape? (to play in the car when he's under the hood)
Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 PM

I'd go with tinker toys, linchon logs or legos to play with the older child with. Or get the ds a little tool belt or tool set to be like daddy. OH, a tool belt for dad, ds and baby would be super cute! You'd probably have to make that though.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 01-08-2006, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

gasp! books on tape...don't you know what's already playing! metalica, ac/dc (showing my age here with those bands). i'm thinking the t-shirt might be a good idea...lincoln logs too since my own son JUST discovered them. that would be a fun "daddy get in the floor and hang out and build things with me" activity. thanks for the help! and i'll take more suggestions if you have them.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:15 AM

What about one of those giant bubble-makers? Or a cool kite? There's also lego they can do together - cool stuff in kits...maybe too old for a 3yo, but for the future? Or a gift cert. to somewhere cool, like oompah toys? Hmmmmm Bill Cosby wrote a funny book about Fatherhood, or the old standby - cigars (or the candy alternative )

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 01-09-2006, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

great kite idea! do you have a web address or a link for oompah toys? i didn't find anything when i did a google search for that.

User Tag List