must reads? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-19-2002, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If any dads are still reading this board...

I'm curious to see what other dads would recommend as
must read books for fathering, in particular books that
are directed at issues of fathering rather than just
general parenting issues.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-19-2002, 02:45 PM

Long ago, I read the Bill Cosby book about parenting and I thought it was pretty funny and insightful.

I also read a book by Paul somebody that I think was called Couplehood. However it was more comic that helpful.

Frankly, I tend to just follow the lead of the sharp, talented, brilliant and beautiful mamabliss. She really knows her stuff.

Good luck and please share anything you find.

Cheers.
#3 of 6 Old 01-20-2002, 08:49 AM

The book Couplehood is by Paul Reiser (from Mad About You). Not really parenting info but it was amusing.
Dr. Sears actually does have a book for fathers. It's called Becoming A Father (I think) I never see it in bookstores, we ordered ours online.
He also has sections in his books that are helpful for both parents to read. My husband has read The Baby Book by Sears. No reason only the Mama should do the research.

~Jennifer
#4 of 6 Old 01-20-2002, 09:41 AM

Dh and I recently just got a couple of books that we are enjoying:

Father Courage: What Happens When Men Put Family First by Suzanne Braun Levine (Currently on clearance in hardcover at Amazon.com) It's interesting to read about solutions different fathers have found to place a priority on family, ways that they are supported, and successful strategies for pushing against the status quo.

and

Halving it All: How Equally Shared Parenting Works----I am really enjoying this one, it's nice to read about very diverse families that share parenting 50-50, though the families are not very "alternative" and I am not thrilled about the casualness with which breastfeeding is addressed. This book is very much about having an ideal of *equal* time and involvement with children for men and women, and won't appeal to everyone.
#5 of 6 Old 10-30-2004, 10:03 PM

well I also question the actual numbers of the dads in this DADS forum. I seem to see all mommas and very few dads. In terms of printed material. I have sort of read some books and browsed through others and found that just doing what comes natural is best. We just kinda worked thorugh it. We took our values and beleifs and used them in our parenting style. We both have some difference, but it all works out in the end. We both feed of each other.
#6 of 6 Old 11-03-2004, 11:21 PM

I mianly only read mags. They seem to do the trick. My son knows alot more sporting stats then other kids. :

No, really i have never read a book about being a father. To me a father is just the father. I do what needs to be done and what DW wants. When my kids want me I am there for them. Fathering to me is not learned from books but from hands on. DW reads almost everything out there. We cannot have both of us getting brain washed by books.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page