Pulled my gun... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 314 Old 06-30-2006, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well here’s what went down last evening. I was over at my Mom's with my youngest. We were there late (11pm). On the way home my driving apparently pissed some one off. I don’t know what it could have been. I was actually driving pretty mellow for once, Anyway they were pissed off enough to get behind me, ride my bumper and FOLLOW ME HOME. I live in a good neighborhood. No issues. Very mellow.
So.. As I'm making the last couple of turns to my house I am thinking is this guy going to turn off and go his way soon, if not how to handle this problem. If I was by myself I would have just pulled into my driveway gotten out of my car and asked if there was a problem. With my sleeping 2 year old in the car I decided to take a different approach. This Bozo follows me up my dead end street, I stop short of my house because the last thing I want is this guy knowing where I live. He stops behind me. I get out, pull my 9mm Ruger out from my under arm holster, point it at the driver and yell "You have 5 seconds to leave before I start shooting!"

I didn’t know cars could go that fast in reverse...

He flew down the dead end street backwards, hit the intersection and took off. Now that I have had a good look at the driver, (and the whites of his eyes) I can tell you that it was probably a 19-21year old kid with to much attitude trying to impress his friends in the car. I hope they were impressed.:

I holstered my weapon, got back in my car pulled in my drive way and called the cops. I gave them a description of the car and so forth. I asked the officer if I had acted improperly. He said under the circumstances I was within my rights. I now know the location of my police department so if something like this happens again I can just drive there and let them deal with it.

I have carried a concealed firearm for almost 18 years now. This is the first time I have had to pull it and point it at someone. Do any other dads carry?
#2 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 03:13 AM

Wow. I'm not sure whether this post strengthens or weakens my stance on concealed weapons laws!

I will say that my own road rage has weirdly increased since our son was born. My tolerance for bad drivers is at a low and I've definitely had to calm rage to stop from getting out of the car. Plus, I think I'm following driving laws more carefully and it's upsetting those around me. I had one person honk at me for half a mile because I was driving the speed limit and observed a red light. Then I got pissed off and yelled at her.

And while we're at it...I liked your post about friends not understanding why you can't hang out all the time. I'm anticipating a lot of that as my son gets older.
#3 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 03:41 AM

Wow.
Going to have to think about this...

As it is, I'm a little uneasy about the fact that you, me, and that other guy live in the same area...

I really never thought about people carrying weapons before. As in the fact that somebody actually does it. Call me naive.

uhmmm. wow.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#4 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 04:01 AM

Ah, testosterone, Gotta love it.

Okay, I am not a dad. But I wanted to say while your post made me smile at the protective papa in you, I was so glad it didn't escalate as it might have in most other major cities. You are lucky you live in Seattle. You might have had some bullets flying from the other car if you lived elsewhere and I know you wouldn't want that for your 2 yo in the car.
#5 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 04:28 AM

I do not at all think you acted improperly. I wish my dh would get a concealed weapon liscense. My dad has carried for years and has a loaded shotgun in his bedroom that he will meet anyone at the door with after a certain hour. My mom has a gun in her bedroom. How else are you to defend your family when the criminals are carrying? I think its great you carry.

Andrea
#6 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 07:04 AM

Personally, I would be livid beyond description should my partner be carrying a gun while caring for our child. I get yucky goosebumps just imagining it.
#7 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 08:20 AM

Not a dad here, but -

I think guns are awful and should have never been made.

That said, since many, many, many crimes are committed with them, I consider having one necessary in many places to protect one's self and family. You had no way of knowing what that other driver was going to do. If you'd driven to your house, he may have gotten out of the car there and approached you in a violent way when you had your child in your arms. Or he might have come back later and done something. If you drove around waiting for him to stop following you then at some point you might have had to stop for gas and he could have gotten out then.

I think it's a shame you had to do this, but given the situation and the uncertainty about the safety of your child, I think you did good

I had someone follow me about a week ago and it was kind of scary. It was night and I was alone with my three kids driving in a rural area...with no cell phone signal. I stopped to get gas, the guy was looking at us there, but I didn't think anything about it. He drove off before we did, and about half a mile down the road he had pulled over. After we went past he pulled out behind us and followed us for at least a half hour. Sometimes dropping so far back I could barely see his headlights and sometimes pulling up so close I thought he might hit me. Occasionally flashing his headlights at me. I don't know what I would have done had dh not been home, but I was hesitant to go home with him behind me. Before I got to my road I was able to call dh (get a signal in town) and he told me to just come home. He had gotten his gun out and was standing at the door waiting when we pulled in. The guy didn't make the last turn with me, he actually turned around and went back the way we'd come.
#8 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 09:17 AM

My husband and I both maintain our permits CCW. I have never had to show, thankfully, but have been glad I was protected a few times, knowing where things could go.

Good for you, Moose....I think you acted appropriately.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#9 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 10:10 AM

I fully support the right to have and carry guns. But I would have also been pretty mad if my dh had done what you did. Back when I worked at strip clubs, we had issues with people trying to follow us home sometimes. Our solution was to drive right to the police station. The person following would always take off pretty quick once they figured out where they were headed. Maybe that solution could work for you next time? Better than the possibility of you or your baby getting shot.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#10 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 10:37 AM

Why not just drive to the police station if someone's following you? My guess is that wouldn't be "tough guy" enough? Honestly wondering, here, why in the world, you'd resort to a display of aggression when you could've done the common sense thing. This opened you up for an attack, and may have put your kid in more danger. You might have gotten rid of them without confrontation. Did that not occur to you?

The fact that you're carrying a gun for the past 18 years tells me you're really scared, and I sympathize with that. But I think it's really creepy what you did. I hate to think of people out there with guns being all macho and endangering lives. Gives me nasty chills.

Maybe next time don't drive in a way that makes people want to kill you.
#11 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 10:45 AM

Sounds like you did the right thing. True, things could have been bad had the other guy had a gun too and wanted to exchange fire but in the moment, given the fact that you didn't know the way to the police station and this guy was about to pull in your driveway if you had kept going....I agree with the police- reasonable.

We both carry. My son and I are alive today because of it. I got home from work late one night (we used to live in a bad area) and Dp was not home yet. About 10 minutes after I was in the door a man starts knocking then when I didn't answer, beating on the door. Then he started trying to kick the door in. I asked "who is it" and he just kept on trying the handle (probably trying to pick the lock) and kicking the door. So I stood by the door and cocked my 38. He heard that and ran away saying "wrong apartment." I was 2 months pregnant at the time. There is no way the cops in that area would have gotten there in time to save me from whatever he might have done to me. I could have miscarried if I had been punched or kicked in the stomach or from the stress of being raped if that was his intention (which I felt it was). As someone who is the classic "liberal hippie" in pretty much every way except my views on guns, I often get indignant comments and am used to people thinking "oh how unenlightened, wouldn't America be a better place if there were no guns." Well, yes- but guns are here and criminals will always be able to get them on the black market (which is where they get most of them now anyway). My father owned numerous guns my whole life and practiced responsible gun ownership and educated my sister and I on what guns have the capability of doing, they aren't toys. I have gone to firing ranges and learned how to use what we have well, I practice responsible gun ownership also.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#12 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
I now know the location of my police department so if something like this happens again I can just drive there and let them deal with it.
he didn't know where it was

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#13 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421

We both carry. My son and I are alive today because of it. I got home from work late one night (we used to live in a bad area) and Dp was not home yet. About 10 minutes after I was in the door a man starts knocking then when I didn't answer, beating on the door. Then he started trying to kick the door in. I asked "who is it" and he just kept on trying the handle (probably trying to pick the lock) and kicking the door. So I stood by the door and cocked my 38. He heard that and ran away saying "wrong apartment." I was 2 months pregnant at the time. There is no way the cops in that area would have gotten there in time to save me from whatever he might have done to me. I could have miscarried if I had been punched or kicked in the stomach or from the stress of being raped if that was his intention (which I felt it was). As someone who is the classic "liberal hippie" in pretty much every way except my views on guns, I often get indignant comments and am used to people thinking "oh how unenlightened, wouldn't America be a better place if there were no guns." Well, yes- but guns are here and criminals will always be able to get them on the black market (which is where they get most of them now anyway). My father owned numerous guns my whole life and practiced responsible gun ownership and educated my sister and I on what guns have the capability of doing, they aren't toys. I have gone to firing ranges and learned how to use what we have well, I practice responsible gun ownership also.

Exactly! It's too bad that more people don't realize that if the guns were banned in the US the only ones they would be banned from is the law-abiding citizens not the criminals they will get them regardless. And then the rest of us will be more at risk.
#14 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Scarry situation.
I grew up in Seattle where, according to my wife, crime doesn't exist. But you do get alot of "crazy, white, borred, suburban, high school aged, hooligans" in the sumertime.
I don't think I would ever buy/ keep a gun to defend myself from that but I sure would love to scare the crap out of the little bastard that keeps steeling my wife's car stero cover plate every sumer!
SB
BTW I think you did the right thing...protecting your family should be job#1 for fathers.
#15 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 03:30 PM

Just a thought...what if he'd had one, too?

My brother got shot in a similar situation. Be careful.
#16 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 04:02 PM

I suggest calling 911 on your cell phone (assuming you have one ), or driving to an open (24hr) gas station if you're being followed and don't know where the nearest police station is.

Your situation ended with everyone safe, and I think the other driver (and his passengers, if any) has learned a lesson and will probably never follow anyone again. However, I think PP's have a point - what if he had had a gun? Once even one gun is introduced into a situation, the chance that someone will get hurt or killed increases exponentially.
#17 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 05:12 PM

Where I am from, most guns are banned, unfortunutley the criminals don't know it..... But we get by!!!!
#18 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 05:39 PM

It's a scary thought of someone doing what you did. I know of a 19 yr old boy who was killed in a nearby town (I live in the country) because he was trailing a car down the road driven by an older man. They were apparently joy riding (the teens) and he was just showing off driving around the guy going down the road and they ended up both stopping on the side of the road and got in an altercation. The older guy pulled a gun. Maybe if the "older", more experienced man had just talked to the kid (who had not been drinking btw) then he might could have avoided the gun. The kid is dead now and the man may get prison time. He says he was defending himself against an unruly kid that was harrassing him down the road, but why couldn't he just straighten it all out without using a gun? The only other witnesses were two teens in the other car and ofcourse they are going against this man and saying something different.

I am a gun owner and I'm a mom. I'm sure you had your reasons for doing this, but it's just hard to imagine ever needing to pull a gun on someone like that unless they had broken in to my home or done something to really make me feel they were going to physically hurt me.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#19 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 05:50 PM

I think it definiatley would have been better to either call 911 and tell a cop where you were or drive to a police station. My issue with guns is this: I doubt there is a parent alive that thought their young child would be able to get to their gun and shoot themselves or a friend. Yet it happens. If you keep your gun where your kids can get to it you are asking for trouble. Telling them they should never use it, play with it, etc... is just not enough. If you keep your gun properly locked (in a locked cabinet with the ammunition locked in a seperate cabinet requiring a seperate key/combination) you probably aren't going to be able to get to it if you really really need it. I personally would never carry a gun, and I will not allow them in my home. I know the curiosity of children, and it scares me too much. I have a friend who shot his younger brother in the back with a hunting rifle. Yes their dad had taught them gun safety, yes things were locked up, and yes they knew they were to never, ever play with them. And yet they did. The slight chance that I might actually need one at some point, and that it would actually save my life does not outweigh the dangers for me.
#20 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 06:16 PM

I think you did the right thing. We don't own a gun, but once we were in a dangerous situation for a while. A crazy person was stalking/harassing us because of a lawsuit. We borrowed a friend's gun for a little while. We never had to use it.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#21 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2girls
Exactly! It's too bad that more people don't realize that if the guns were banned in the US the only ones they would be banned from is the law-abiding citizens not the criminals they will get them regardless. And then the rest of us will be more at risk.
Guns are banned in Canada, and our violent crime rate is significantly lower than the US.
#22 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 06:40 PM

I first want to say, I do not think the OP was trying to be mocho or be the big man with the gun in this situation. I do think he was being a papa bear over his cub. I also believe that he, now looking back, would have handled this situation differantly. I personaly do not own a gun and never world but would never take that right away from anyone.
#23 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 07:43 PM

my husband carries concealed and i take great exception to the notion that he endangers our family by doing so. my husband is a law enforcement officer in a questionable area. if we are at the playground, grocery store, amusement park, et cetera, one of the lowlifes he's locked away could very likely cross our path and cause harm to my husband or our family. while i hope he never has to use it (and he never has), it's comforting to know that there's a line of defense, should anything horrible happen.
#24 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston
Why not just drive to the police station if someone's following you?
Apparently he didn't know where it was at the time
Quote:
I now know the location of my police department so if something like this happens again I can just drive there and let them deal with it.
Quote:
Maybe next time don't drive in a way that makes people want to kill you
uhh wow.: I don't think that is called for at all.

He was just a guy who was primally protecting his kid! I totally understand.
#25 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 08:42 PM

My dh and I both have concealed handgun licenses. While I don't carry all the time, my dh does. The thing I want to point out here is that none of us were in the car with the original poster. None of us knows exactly what the situation was, so I don't feel any of us can judge his actions. We don't know what level of fear he had at that moment. While I don't know that I would have handled things exactly like he did, I think he did a lot of things right.

Now, I've never been to Canada, so I don't feel like I have a right to judge their crime rate, but I do know that Canada is not the United States. A lot of things contribute to our crime rate. Gun ownership is not the only thing that affects that. We have a history of guns being legal, and that history has contributed to a mindset that perhaps Canadians cannot understand. Taking legal gun ownership away from Americans will not change the fact that the criminals will still have them. Perhaps if America had developed differently... but we are who we are. I do not take for granted the Constitutional right to keep my gun so that if I ever need to defend my children, I can.

I have never had to even think about pulling my gun. I think I've been lucky in that respect. I don't think I could ever shoot anything that breathes except in one instance, and that is to protect my kids. For them, I could shoot anyone.

Clearly, in hindsight, and especially for all of us who can sit back and Monday morning quarterback this situation, it's easy to say that perhaps he should have done things differently, but in the heat of the moment he did what he felt he had to do to protect his home and his child. I don't see anything wrong with that.
#26 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
Guns are banned in Canada, and our violent crime rate is significantly lower than the US.
i can promise you banning guns would do nothing to lower our crime rate. the majority of violent crimes commited here are not by the people liscenced to posses the weapons.

anywho, id have been iffy to turn down a dead end street. or to pull out a gun, cuz liek they said what if the other kid had a gun. but for protecting youself and son!
#27 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I was actually driving pretty mellow for once, Anyway they were pissed off enough to get behind me, ride my bumper and FOLLOW ME HOME.
Maybe he was pissed because you were going the speed limit. That sets my friend off just about every time.
#28 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I get out, pull my 9mm Ruger out from my under arm holster, point it at the driver and yell "You have 5 seconds to leave before I start shooting!"

I didn’t know cars could go that fast in reverse...
:
#29 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 PM

As a gun owner, I can understand why you did what you did. You may want to get a cell phone though so if anything weird ever happens again you can call 911. I believe most cell phones can dial 911 even without service on them (just have to be activated). I used to carry our handgun in the car when I was commuting a lot (or whenever I travel alone with dd) just because you never know. Now, I grew up with guns (started shooting them at 3 or 4 yo) so for me it's second nature to have one. I know that's hard to understand for someone who didn't grow up the same.

For those who don't believe- ever heard of the gun toting Granny?
#30 of 314 Old 07-03-2006, 10:07 PM

I think you did the right thing. DH and I both shoot recreationally and own guns. DH has a CC permit and I am thankful he has it. I feel protected.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page