Dads and Daughters - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-07-2006, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We found out we're having a girl today. I have no doubts that DP will be a fantastic father, but he doesn't have much experience around girls. I.e. he grew up with two brothers, who both have only sons. Do any of you know of any good books for dads about raising daughters? Ideally, it'd be something lighthearted.
#2 of 5 Old 07-10-2006, 06:37 PM
EVC

Gosh, there are quite a few good books out there:

Chicken Soup for the Father & Daughter Soul : Stories to Celebrate the Love Between Dads & Daughters Throughout the Years

Daughters & Dads: Building a Lasting Relationship

From Your Daughter To You, Dad, With So Much Love: A Blue Mountain Arts Collection Celebrating The Love A Father And Daughter Share

Dads and Daughters : How to Inspire, Understand, and Support Your Daughter When She's Growing Up So Fast

Why a Daughter Needs a Dad: A Hundred Reasons

A Father's Love, A Daughter's Power

Fathers and Daughters : In Their Own Words

What a Daughter Needs from Her Dad: How a Man Prepares His Daughter for Life

How to Be Your Daughter's Daddy: 365 Ways to Show Her You Care

Father to Daughter : Life Lessons on Raising a Girl

What A Difference A Daddy Makes the Lasting Imprint A Dad Leaves On His Daughter's Life

She Calls Me Daddy

Dad's Everything Book for Daughters

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#3 of 5 Old 07-10-2006, 06:56 PM

I havent thought about treating my daughters in a different way because they are girls. I play and rough house with them just like I did with my nephews when they were little.

(I put them in more pink than I think I would with a boy. )

I think I'll read some of the books off of EVC's list as well. But for right now, the age that they are at, they are just kids. And being a big kid at heart, it's been pretty easy and lots of fun.
#4 of 5 Old 07-11-2006, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have two dds, and dh is great with them both!
His favorite book so far is not dd-specific, but he found it useful nevertheless.

Father's Almanac

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#5 of 5 Old 11-20-2006, 02:54 PM

When we had our first girl (firstborn), I was petrified. I never grew up with girls. I had no idea how to relate to girls. I just didn't know what to do or how to behave.

I learned.

Then we had our second girl. I was okay, I knew how to play with girls. I loved my girls!

Then we had our third girl. I was perfectly fine. I was in the zone. I'd done this twice before. We were golden.

We went through the Christmas where I came in and woke up my wife after she had been napping for two hours to say, "Please come and rescue me. I've played dolls, helped them put on makeup and fingernail polish, played dress up and read myself horse (pun intended!) with My Pretty Pony! Nothing explodes! Nothing crashes! It's an endless and continuous emotionally uplifting party where nothing explodes!" My wife rescued me and I learned my limits.

We were convinced our fourth was a girl, right up until the birth. Then we say that extra bit of skin and I suddenly realized: I don't know how to raise a boy!

I learned. It's okay. He's different than the girls.

I can remember thinking, holding my son, remembering all the things I did as a boy and the poignant thought hit me: "Wow. Everything is different, now. It was so easy raising girls. This will be a challenge."

And it is. Every day. Girls are easy to raise, until they reach puberty (or so I've been told over and over and over and over and over again--my oldest is 11).

Boys are harder, but get easier (or so I've been told over and over and over and over and over...)

You can do it. With girls, you'll never, ever lose them, yet they'll break your heart bringing home deadbeats who aren't worthy to look them in the eye. One day, in fact, your adoring daughter will tell you that she wants to adore another man for the rest of her life. And you'll just have to learn to live with that. It's okay, though. She'll always be yours and you'll always be her "daddy", even when she's 45. (My one sister called my dad "daddy" until the day he died.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page