Supplements and male fertility? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-28-2006, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
X post

My DH is trying to bulk up his muscle mass. He's tried changing his diet and most natural avenues, but it isn't working for him. He is considering taking some protein and some other supplements to increase his muscle mass. My biggest concern is that we're TTC, and I don't know how this would effect his sperm count, and if it would cause any complications with the potential baby. I'm more inclined to wait until we are pregnant and then he can do as he pleases, but can't find any research or articles to support my line of thinking. Anyone know where I might look?
#2 of 9 Old 07-30-2006, 12:54 AM
Banned

My dh overcame infertility BECAUSE he was using body building vitamins! Depending on the ingrediants, I think it can increase testosterone production and the sperm count. Now, I'm no doctor or vitamin/amino acid expert, so I can't confirm all of this for you. You'll have to do your own research. But our doctor said my DH would have to have surgery to concieve. We are vegetarians who went 16 years without a pregnancy. Then I started working at a vitamin shop and started giving amino acids and vitamins to my DH, and bam-- I finally had a beautiful and incredibly smart baby. So I'd say it worked great for us!

Good luck with TTC,

Faith
#3 of 9 Old 07-30-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I did a little research, although its hard to find anything. Some of the side effects of some of the things he is interested in taking can cause lower sperm counts and lower motility. So, he is going to stay away from those.
#4 of 9 Old 07-30-2006, 01:17 PM

when we were TTC, Surfmama had me cut way back and coffee and pretty much any food additives...I think it just made my genes stronger or something, cause we had a little girl clone of myself...
#5 of 9 Old 07-30-2006, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDaddy
when we were TTC, Surfmama had me cut way back and coffee and pretty much any food additives...I think it just made my genes stronger or something, cause we had a little girl clone of myself...
Thanks!
#6 of 9 Old 07-30-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingMama
Thanks!
Yeah, I'm not a wealth of info...
#7 of 9 Old 08-01-2006, 12:55 AM

Dh was taking a super antioxidant blend from trader joe's when we conceived. As far as other supplements, go...I'm not sure. It depends on the man. Some guys can take anything and drink/smoke and have great sperm. Others get a little stressed out and their sperm count/motility takes a nose dive. I work at a sperm bank, so I know a little too much about all of this.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#8 of 9 Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 PM

Hello,

I was a personal trainer for almost 10 years.

You mentioned "He is considering taking some protein and some other supplements to increase his muscle mass."

My question to you is: Which "other supplements" is he taking?

There ARE many "SUPPLEMENTS" that will negatively affect his fertility! There are also many that will increase his fertility

Protien...

Protien will not affect his fertility. Just make sure that he stays hydrated. High protien is known to dehydrate.

Soy protien however... I have read studies that soy protien can cause excess estrogen in men. So, I would avoid Soy... Whey Isolate is the best.

Vitamins...

Many vitamins will increase fertility such as vitamin C, E, B Complex, Zinc increases sperm count...

Amino Acids...

L-arginine is known to increase sperm health.

Prescription Drugs...
Have you ever heard of HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) and clomid (clomiphene)? These are two DRUGS that are usually used to induce ovulation in women. They are also 2 very common drugs used in bodybuilding. They are also known to increase sperm count and testosterone in men. (More muscle/ Less Fat and More Fertile) These 2 drugs have been used by men in bodybuilding for years. The effects of them are well known. It is only recently that the medical comunity has started using these drugs in men for fertility. BTW they are not steroids.

It may be something he can ask his MD about...

Here is a link:

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/4090.html

If you dont want to go that route...

The best way to "bulk up" is by consuming high ammounts of protien (2Grams per Lb of bodyweight per day) , High Carbohydrate diet (3Grams per lb of bodyweight daily) Along with multivitamin plus the vitamins that I mentioned above, and lots of water...

Hope this helps!
#9 of 9 Old 08-03-2006, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know about muscle building things, but make sure he takes some amino acids. We suffered with male-factor infertility for 3yrs, and once dh started taking multis and aminos, we got pregnant within months and as you can see in my sig, been pretty fertile since.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page