Night Papa Parenting Ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-28-2006, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some ideas for how to get dd back to sleep at night. I have frequently put her to sleep for the night (and currently still do). I also have had plenty of success with bouncing her on an exercise ball, walking around, singing, swaying, wearing her, back rubbing, etc. None of this is working right now and dd is waking lots (she is 18 months old). She is probably teething still (she started late) but we aren't always sure. Dw is getting very sleep deprived and also annoyed at me that I am not finding creative new ways to comfort dd. I can't think of anything new and haven't found anything in old posts.

Any ideas?
#2 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 02:09 PM

I have a 21 month old and she weaned before 18 months and night weaned at around the 1 year point. I don't like the tone that she is getting annoyed that you can't get the baby back to sleep. Up until night weaning, your child has learned (good or bad not the issue) that nursing puts them back to sleep. We had some tough nights at the 1 year point when we night weaned but I just did whatever it took to get her to sleep. What you are doing is the right plan of action. One comment I always liked was "Make night time REALLY boring" No playing, no tv, no bright lights, diaper changes in a dimly lit room etc etc.

Our daughter now comes to our bed in the middle of the night most nights and is instructed that we all sleep at night and to lay quietly or go to sleep in the bed. Her choice is to sleep with us quietly or to go back to her own bed. She chooses our bed 75% of the time (sometimes she says Rachels Bed!)

I'd stay the course and be firm in my stance personally. "It's the middle of the night, I'm doing the best I can with it." There are a _LOT_ of men in the world who would say "Night time is your deal" She should be elated that you're willing to try. I'm not saying she should bow at your feet, but angry because you aren't finding new creative ways? (when you're already doing a lot of GOOD things) That's past my limit personally.

There aren't creative things to get an 18 month old to sleep imo. If they are tired, they will sleep. More activity during the day? Rachel sleeps her best when she's been outside playing for a few hours every day, church day or her gym day.
#3 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi askdrsears.com has a brilliant sleep forum that has a dad night nursing section with lots of dads who have ideas. just a thought, great going dads!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#4 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 10:41 PM

Weather permitting, how about a walk around the block? Our DD is very into the world and insists on sleeping on my shoulder as we walk. Speeking of, it's my time to get her....

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin
#5 of 5 Old 08-31-2006, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

rdl2k5, perhaps I misrepresented my dw. She actually has tried to be very diplomatic and is really just suffereing from sleep deprivation over many, many days. We do not plan to put dd in her own bed or even force her to wean. We tried night weaning a few months back due to some other issues and it didn't work. DD would just wake up after some time and then it would be 2 hours before she went back to sleep everytime. I am not going to punish her for being awake, so there isn't much choice at that point. Basically, we are not willing to force the issue in this way. It turns out the last couple of nights have been a bit better so I think dd may be going through a growth spurt or her incisors are coming in. Usually we find out afterwards there was some cause such as this. I have also slept in another room for a couple of nights which may be good for all of us. I certainly get more rest and I think dd does, too. We suspect I may wake her some throughout the night due to my tossing, turning, noises, etc - I am a pretty rambunctuous sleeper.

The problem with walking her around the block is the frequency of the wakings. I cannot go outside every hour throughout the night. The last couple of nights she did not wake for the first 4-5 hours, so it may very well have been some temporary phase or disturbance like I mentioned above. I was just really frustrated and desperate for a solution. Thanks for everyone's input and I will check out the website.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page