Art your kids like - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, dads. Do you ever take yer kids to art-like places? Museums? Sculpure gardens? Openings? If so, what do your kids like? Any ideas? A dad with a sense that their kid will actually like art, wants to know.

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin
#2 of 14 Old 09-11-2006, 05:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata
So, dads. Do you ever take yer kids to art-like places? Museums? Sculpure gardens? Openings? If so, what do your kids like? Any ideas? A dad with a sense that their kid will actually like art, wants to know.
i take my kids(well charges anyway lol) to low brow art galleries which show artwork by the new and rising artists such as ana baganyan, mark ryden etc.
#3 of 14 Old 09-11-2006, 11:14 AM

my son who is 15 months has just noticed that statues are representations of people. There are several parks where we were staying that have statues. He will just stand at the base of it and "talk" and point at it.

Of course he loves the children's museum
#4 of 14 Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oooo, low brow art. I like low brow.
Statues are way too cool for kids. We are wanting to go to a sculpture garden during a free day. But, we have been tipped off that's when the buses show up full of everyone else. So, we may pay.
Children's museums rule.
We went to an art institute once, but the elevator was more interesting to our DD than much of the art.

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin
#5 of 14 Old 09-13-2006, 12:39 AM

Actually, DS loves the art that his mama makes

But anyways, about the most artful place we've taken him is the local mega-mart art supply store, where he has a delightful time trying to touch absolutely everything.

Still a little too young for the "Downtown-hip-museum-gallery" scene, and the nearest kids' museum is a bit far away. Can't wait until he can at least make some proper use of crayons and such.
#6 of 14 Old 09-14-2006, 02:16 PM

Not to pose my own question, but I am a grad in art and I have taken my 4 month old DD to my studio once. When have you others notices that your children started liking art? Oh and I would suggest student shows for art especially sculpture and drawings....sometimes there are some really cool and interesting things coming out of student work.
#7 of 14 Old 09-16-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Our youngest is 13 months. She started drawing recently. Our oldest at 4 & 1/2 draws all the time. She started a little later, if I remember. As far as actually apreciating other art, it seems to be ever-present in the interrelationship with the world around them, but actually saying, "Wow, this is cool!" came from our eldest recently when she saw a book of Andy Goldsworthy's stuff.

#8 of 14 Old 10-01-2006, 03:29 AM

We're lucky in that we live close to an art museum built specifically for children. When DD was 1-ish, they opened a brand new wing called "Artville" which is like this little town made out of giant art supplies.

http://www.cityofmesa.org/amfy/

It's hard to say, though, if she appreciates the "viewing" part of it all, though. She likes to *do* things, just looking at art doesn't interest her much. I think DW and I are much the same in that regard.

Even the last time we took her a few months ago (she's 3), when the main exhibit was all about cats, she really just wanted to play in Artville and with the make-believe restaurant they had set up (The Cool Cat Cafe, or something similar).

Now, when it comes to making art, she's usually up for doing "art projects", and she's willing to try almost any medium we set up for her, but the one thing she asks to do the most is painting. And most of the time she prefers painting on her plastic animals. Maybe it's because paint was her earliest artistic experience.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to try to take her to a concert by the local volunteer symphony. She'll listen to some classical music in the car with me, so hopefully she'll be interested.
#9 of 14 Old 10-03-2006, 06:38 PM

Yes, we take him to "First Fridays" in the city. They open the art galleries in the area and we look and art and talk about it--all kinds, realism, impressionism, modern. We always include the Fire Engine Museum as well, we he loves. He also gets to see art students on the streets doing performance art and selling their wares.

We also went to an Indian Festival on the Parkway which included a free meal of Eastern Indian food. So, we like to expose him to all cultures and foods. We live 5 miles from a major US city. I'm in the city daily and my DW and DS make it here at least 3x weekly.
#10 of 14 Old 10-04-2006, 10:41 AM

Not a dad but DS loved MassMOCA http://www.massmoca.org . When we were there, in the summer, they had a lot of big installations, like a whole amusement park recreated (no touching, sadly). Also a life-sized elephant with a tiger on it. And the fuselage of an airplane, filled with bats. A room filled with mirrors. DS was incredibly impressed and jabbered at everything quite a bit.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#11 of 14 Old 10-04-2006, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone introduced their kids to bad art?

http://www.museumofbadart.org/

There are some real amusing things here.

#12 of 14 Old 10-31-2006, 02:17 PM

destrucive art is fun.
#13 of 14 Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 AM

one thing i've got stored away in my mama notes for later is that i used to go to art museums with my younger cousins and they would bring crayons and a drawing book. they would find a bench or piece of floor by some art that inspired them and go to town. sometimes trying to mimic it, or whatever. i remember them doing this from quite early on and for years afterwards.
#14 of 14 Old 11-02-2006, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Ooo. Now that is a good idea. Our eldest would realy dig that. The drawing book to the museum, that is. The destructive art is more for Mama and Tata.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page