Daddy Slings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 09-13-2006, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure there's a thread out there somewhere, but I'm off to work. I'm hoping that by the time i get home I'll have some suggestions on a good sling for dads. DD is almost two, and 28lbs.
C'mon dads, advise...
#2 of 34 Old 09-14-2006, 03:31 PM

I just got online looking for advise for this as well. DH really wants to sling our daughter, but he doesnt like my two pouch slings (not to mention they're too small for him) I just bought a moby for myself and got it in brown hoping that he wouldnt mind using it. any dads use a moby ever?!?!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#3 of 34 Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 PM

I have used a mai tai carrier for a while from kozycarrier.com

It worked really well until around 14 months and I use it now for the twins. It would still work for the toddler, but when she could walk she no longer wanted anything to do with being carried.
#4 of 34 Old 09-15-2006, 02:43 PM

Men are shaped different and alot of slings are not that great for men once the kids get bigger (we have no hips for the baby to sit on). Carriers like Bjorn and Snuggli, and baby backpacks are much better for me once the kids get too big.
#5 of 34 Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM

My dh has used our Moby. He loves it as much as I do.
#6 of 34 Old 09-15-2006, 03:09 PM

Theres a really good article on Babywearing for dads here. Hope that helps!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#7 of 34 Old 09-15-2006, 03:50 PM

My dh uses a hotsling and an ergo.
#8 of 34 Old 09-15-2006, 07:02 PM

Dh likes the ergo the best for himself, but he thinks the didymos is the coolest and he loves that I wear it--I think it a little 'colorful' for him to wear..

just read that it is for a 2yo--I would totally recommend the ERGO. It is great for dh and our 2.5dd. I think the ergo is best in this situation, actually, with a dad and with an older child!
#9 of 34 Old 09-18-2006, 10:09 PM

#10 of 34 Old 10-06-2006, 10:42 PM

my dh loves to wear the bjorn, but its a little tough to readjust after ive worn it. i usually use my sling or podegi now and he keeps the bjorn at his size. we also have a koala sling that has an adjustable strap on it that i try think he will use soon. the bjorn is only for little babies so when hes a little older i think hell try to koala.
#11 of 34 Old 10-07-2006, 12:01 AM

My dh uses a wrap and the ergo...her prefers the Ergo as he has a hard time using the wrap....He loves the ergo.
#12 of 34 Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 AM

#13 of 34 Old 10-10-2006, 02:58 PM

Ergo all the way. My wife just got one and I think it swayed her from others because I said i would use it. Its very comfortable and easy for us both to adjust so we can pass it back and forth. Elliot loves it too.
#14 of 34 Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM

My dp uses the moby sometimes.
#15 of 34 Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 PM

Dh likes our babyhawk. There are lots of very hip fabric choices, much better than other mei tais as far as looks are concern.

I like wraps (didymos, storch, girasol, hopp) but dh thinks they are a little more work, so he doesn't use them much.
#16 of 34 Old 10-27-2006, 12:24 AM

my dh uses a hotsling right now. we have mei tai that he may wear later when shes older. she doesn't seem to like it right now. she like the homemade wrap i have but dh thinks it is too complicated
#17 of 34 Old 10-28-2006, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone who responded. We've been using an Ergo since dd was 10 mos.(she's 22 now). I love it and Neil does too, except that he needs my help getting it on (he's about as flexable as a tin can) and I'm not always around. That's why we were hoping to find a hip sling for him. We tried a hotsling, but dd just seems too big for it. We just got an Ella Roo 'Mai Hip' so we'll see how that goes. Thanks again for the support.

Nicole and Neil and Cass
#18 of 34 Old 10-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned

DH HATES the look of a sling/pouch He really does...it's too "Feminine" in his opinion. He likes the look of a MT or the Ergo.

As long as the colours/patterns aren't too feminine...

HIm and I have the same taste in colours/patterns anyway.

Babyhawk FTW for patterns!
#19 of 34 Old 10-29-2006, 01:31 AM

My DH prefers wraps, although we have BH with "his side" on it. In fact he liked the texture of my strawberry stripes BB-slen so much that we ended up ordering another in a less girly color so he can wear it.

I think many Hoppediz are pretty masculine. The Hop Panama is a great DH wrap especially--half green and half sort of gray-green. Wish I could get my hands on one of those!
#20 of 34 Old 10-29-2006, 01:57 AM

My husband LOVES our Over the Shoulder, he actully sold three of them this week to guys in his squadron for me
#21 of 34 Old 10-29-2006, 02:03 PM

We had an original Hip Hammock which Dh used for a while until he was sucked in by the Ergo and dd was able to walk longer distances. The black with 'hessian' type outer is neutral and he found it easy to use.
#22 of 34 Old 10-29-2006, 02:25 PM

If the big issue is wanting a masculine looking sling this one fits the bill
http://www.ilarrys.com/store/detail.php?RECORD_KEY%28ensearch%29=ID&ID(ensearch )=9151

It's from premaxx. I have no idea if it's well made or comfortable though b/c I've never seen one IRL just online.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#23 of 34 Old 10-31-2006, 02:59 AM

My hubby said "I love the ERGO but we had to get one for me and one for she because I hated the way it didn't fit just right after she used it."

Yup, I agree, that's our 2 cents.
#24 of 34 Old 11-07-2006, 12:42 PM

My DH uses a blue Maya Wrap (the ring sling, not the pouch). We have two and he's used them for the past 4 years.

He also goes to the chiropractor regularly though. Those one-shoulder slings can be kinda painful once the kidlet reaches 20 lbs or so. However, you can't beat the MW for easy on-off and packability. He puts our younger DD to sleep in the MW every night.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#25 of 34 Old 11-13-2006, 04:49 PM

My DH's favorite is a robozo (he remembered what it was called not me ). Basically, it's a long piece of fabric that you wrap around you and baby and tie however you like.
He likes it because:
It folds up easily to pack.
It fits a baby all the way up to a preschooler hands-free.
He has complete control and can adust it to carry them in what ever position is most comfortable or convienent for what he's going to be doing while carrying them.
If he has a sore or pulled muscle, he can decide where the knot rests so it doesn't press against something tender making it irritated, or adjust it to dstribute the weight accordingly. He also like having it knot somewhere other than his shoulder if he's going to carry his laptop case or a diaper bag.
Legs can be tucked in or left free. [And he'll tuck the toddler's legs in if he's going to be cooking or using tools and doesn't want to risk a stray limb appearing in his way and into a dangerous situation but doesn't want to tell him to just go stay with mom for awhile.]
He can wear them tight and snugly against him or leave it a bit looser to allow them freedom of movement or ease of in and out (for the boys who may change their minds about walking).
He also loves the simplicity of it, he says it made he realize that in a pinch he could just grab a sturdy bedsheet and make do. He'd also like a longer one because he thinks with more length he could figure out ways to carry two at once without using two of them.

He'll also use the backpack/frontpack carrier with the baby but doesn't prefer it. I'm not crazy about the robozo because I don't find it easy enough to suit me, but honestly he carries them more. And when I carry one of the boys I tend to throw them on my back and make them hold on and I'll use the little infant frontpack/backpack carrier we were gifted when I had DS1 with DD (she's still the size of a 4 or 5 mo old)--well not lately since I left it at my grandmother's house in MS. I'd really like a pouch or hip carrier to use on the boys but no funds to get one... I know it's not adustable but I'd love the ease of put it on and go. I imagine it depends a lot on what you want out of a carrier...my hubby likes adaptability it seems.
#26 of 34 Old 11-13-2006, 04:55 PM

DH has his own New Native pouch sling. His is brown--very masculine Half the time when he's out with DD or around the house, if he's not wearing her in it, he's wearing empty. It's pretty funny.

DD falls asleep every night in it

It turns out that moderation is the key to good parenting.  Too bad we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

#27 of 34 Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 PM

My wife got a maya wrap (one with tartan-like coloring), and I love it. It's easy to use, and since it's dark colors it doesn't look girly. I wear him facing forward (he's 7.5 months already), but she wears him on her hip now.
#28 of 34 Old 11-15-2006, 12:17 AM

Didn't read any responses.

We settled on a Mei Tai (actually getting a second one so DH can carry our toddler and I can carry the baby)...he really likes it, much more then the cradle types. It doesn't hurt either of us to wear the kids with these.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#29 of 34 Old 07-25-2007, 12:15 AM

We use 5 yds of fabric as a wrap. Works great!
#30 of 34 Old 07-25-2007, 05:27 AM

Another New Native Dad over here. DH picked out his own--it's olive green and he really loves it. He wore it everyday with DS1 and we just broke it out again and washed it in anticipation of DS2's arrival anytime now. He's a big guy--6'3", about 235 lbs, broad shoulders, and the XL size fits him very well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page