do we have a right to know how much the dad makes??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-11-2006, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if we the mother have a right to know how much the father makes? I am living in Texas he moved to Georgia with his wife and step kids and he will not tell me when or how much he makes and comes up w/ excuses of him not knowing how much he makes. i mean come on. udont work and not know how much ur making. i want to know before i contact the attorney general. he does send money but he says they havent been working alot. he is like an assistant helper for a diesel mechanic working w/ his wife's family trucking company. i know that is making more than working at mcdonalds.
#2 of 18 Old 10-12-2006, 04:18 AM

contact the attorney general and get a child support ORDER ASAP.

The court will make him reveal how much he is making (at least what he legally admits to on taxes) and then will assign you a percentage.
#3 of 18 Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 AM

If he's working for his wife's family business he may have worked out an arrangement to not have all of his earnings reported. But you would be entitled for a percentage of the reported earnnigs.

My sister's ex-husband pulls this all of the time. "I'm not working now" so the child support stops coming in. Real classy. Two kids he birthed and could care less.

Time for the lawyer, I suppose.
#4 of 18 Old 10-12-2006, 01:59 PM

Some states also use total household income, so it's possible they need to count her (new wife) income too. Definitely contact the attorney general or child support enforcement in your state and his too.
#5 of 18 Old 10-12-2006, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone... i emailed the attorney general/child support . oh and another thing that kinda bothers me is that he calls me the other day saying Nicolas is gonna have a halfbrother or sister . and i was shocked but good for them. but then im like wait. he cant even support his own kid and he wants to have another baby w/ the wife but she has to first get some surgical procedure done. um babies and surgeries do cost money. so i wonder where the extra money is gonna come from? hmm she already has 3 of her own. he has mine and another whom he doesnt have rights to. but i wasnt gonna let him go the easy way out and not be supporting his son. its just crazy and im tired of the lies and excuses he comes up with.
#6 of 18 Old 10-16-2006, 04:53 PM

Nail him to the friggin wall. Act now and quickly. Get the court order. My father left me, my mom and brother high and dry when I was 5 and my brother was 2. He paid no child support, no allimony, and all court ordered.: My Mom has been getting a $200 check every month for the past couple of years but only because he gets a disability check and they take a chunk before he see's it each month. Before those payments started he owed close to 100K in back support. That money would have made things alot better for us 30 years ago.
This guy sounds like a flake too me so do the right thing for your son and get the LAW working for you. The tracking system for delinquint parents is MUCH better now and helps make people honor thier comitments.

Good Luck.
#7 of 18 Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM

You have no standing without a court ordered support order. You need to get that asap. It may be difficult now since he's moved out of state, but there is such things as a paycheck garnishment that the state takes care of.

Find an attorney and file the proper paperwork - then this will get resolved.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#8 of 18 Old 10-17-2006, 09:07 PM

MAke him pay child support!!!!!!!!
#9 of 18 Old 10-18-2006, 12:40 PM

mommyofnick,

I am in a similar situation. I don't even know where to start. I have a court order for him to pay 20% of his income, but he won't tell me how much he makes, and I'm sure that $200 dollars a month for the past 5 years is not 20%. I actually live in GA (if I see your exds, I'll steal his wallet for ya!) so how do I go about doing this? What is the attorney general? Thanks!!!
#10 of 18 Old 10-18-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej View Post
You have no standing without a court ordered support order. You need to get that asap. It may be difficult now since he's moved out of state, but there is such things as a paycheck garnishment that the state takes care of.

Find an attorney and file the proper paperwork - then this will get resolved.

I agree! GET THAT COURT ORDER! We just got court ordered support THANK GOD! Thankfully, I never married this man, he was only a boyfriend, but when he changed jobs or his income he has to notify by letter, me and the court. I live in Texas, too.

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#11 of 18 Old 10-18-2006, 04:52 PM

Honestly, I would stop asking him. He does not have to tell you how much he makes if he does not want to. Once you file papers for Child Support, he will have to give them that information and from there they will calculate what you are entitled to. Let the courts deal with the numbers, you just have to get the ball rolling with getting the papers served.
#12 of 18 Old 10-23-2006, 01:22 AM

Take him to court, and NOW!
In my state, having more kids reduces the amount you have to pay to previous kids....it's not a lot, since first kids are given "priority", but subsequent chiuldren do lower the amount!

CPST
#13 of 18 Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf_colon View Post
Honestly, I would stop asking him. He does not have to tell you how much he makes if he does not want to. Once you file papers for Child Support, he will have to give them that information and from there they will calculate what you are entitled to. Let the courts deal with the numbers, you just have to get the ball rolling with getting the papers served.
:

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#14 of 18 Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 AM

It's his responsibilty to supposrt all of his children ! Nail him and take him to court !
#15 of 18 Old 11-02-2006, 11:24 PM

definately take him to court!
#16 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 03:35 PM

You do have a right to know how much he makes. My DH is paying child support now and they take out 20% of what he makes. When our DS was born, they were supposed to go back to court to lower it to 17% but he decided not to, that it would just be too much trouble. She gets $400 a month. Although, that is high, it is still 20%.
#17 of 18 Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 PM

Yes, but she is only entitled to the information when she goes to court. Once that process starts, usually the judge will break down the amount with the mother and let her know how much she will be getting. But continually asking him now is just a waste of her time since he has no reason to divulge that info. Would it be nice if he did? Sure. But it does not look like he will, so definitely get the ball rolling with child support court.
#18 of 18 Old 11-04-2006, 10:07 PM

I have to agree with everyone that has posted.. Child Support NOW

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page