Mothering Forum banner

DH needs interview suit buying tips/recs from Big & Tall Dads

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  OriginalGirlGamer 
#1 ·
Is there anyone here who can help me? DH has a job interview on Friday and needs interview attire. He's not really a suit guy and he's really been able to dress fairly casual at previous jobs. But he needs an all-purpose suit and I figure at least if he doesn't end up needing it for a job he can wear it to weddings and that sort of thing. Thing is, he's 6'3" and about 290. He is pushing the end of the regular sizes--48x32 pants and 48L or maybe larger in the jacket and he wears 2X Talls in shirts (maybe 17 1/2 in dress shirts, IDK).

Anyway...we are not sure of a good place to shop. My image of the Big & Tall shops is that it's going to be really cheesy stuff--maybe I am wrong though? He bought pants, a shirt and jacket last year at Jos A Bank but frankly, I haven't been real impressed with the quality or how it looks. And their style is a little conservative for my DH.

Also, shoe recs would be helpful too. Personally, I like Doc Martens (the "dressier" kind) with business attire on guys (maybe not for an interview though). DH also thinks they are not dressy enough. But he's not really a wing-tips kind of guy either.

Many, many thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
*Edit. Go Today! It'll only be a great suit if they tailor it and it fits perfectly*

I am 6'3. I'm not 48"s but not far from it. I highly highly recommend Men's Wearhouse. You know the "You're going to like the way you look.. I gurantee it" Great suits, Good prices. Go today though, they'll need to tailor it to give it a good fit. Not sure if they can get it by Friday, but one thing about them is that they will always try. (Here at least, I've had excellent service at the one here in Knoxville, TN and the one in Atlanta when I lived there.)

The thing that's nice about Men's Wearhouse is that they are usually professional "dressers" I'm not saying they are top end great people but all they deal with every day is men just like your husband coming in and saying "I need a suit, Help!"

Shoes. I have 2 pairs. A Black set of Dockers that is really comfortable I spent about hmm $50 on? And a brown pair of Johnston & Murphy shoes that I paid around $130 for. If he's going to wear dress shoes every single day, I'd eventually invest in a nice pair of shoes. If they're just interview shoes, don't bother. By don't bother, I mean you can get away with a cheap pair. The different in expensive and cheap shoes typically is the ability for the leather not to break down over time.

I wear dress shoes every day so I wear my J&M's daily. Ask about polish/shine kits also. (Or just go buy one at Target) He will need one. I try to clean/polish mine every few weeks and once every year or so I take them to a shoe repair shop locally and have them "repaired" to fix nicks in the leather, etc. It's worth it to take care of nice shoes.

I wouldn't do Doc Martens if it were me, although I wear shoes like that all the time when no interviewing/conducting business. People do notice.

Check list Interview

Well pressed suit that FITS is the #1 thing. Any time the suit feels uncomfortable, go have it refitted. It's worth every penny to have it fit PERFECTLY.
Clean look. I would imagine this doesn't need to be said.
Shoes nice and shined.
Tie Tack, Get one and use it. Even if it's a cheap one. Tie needs to be sitting in place and the tie tack does that. Big guys like us have a tendency for the tie to be waving all around and just make us look like some "big guy dressed up"

I'm not talking about those cheesey Tux/Wedding Shoes. Just a nice pair of comfortable shoes. Oh and from experience, if they aren't comfortable day 1, don't expect them to break in like tennis shoes. Dress shoes have a tendency to have sharp edges for that "crisp" look. All it does is gives you blisters. You can get great shoes that are comfortable, Don't let someone tell you that they'll "Break in" Find a comfortable shoe. It's important. Also, grab one of those shoe horns and USE it. The shoes will be ruined within 6 months of forcing feet in and out of them if you don't. (especially with chaep shoes) They don't work like tennis shoes where they're designed to get that kind of "abuse"

Dry Clean your Suit! And use a heavy duty wooden hanger. The suit will ruin over time of sitting on a flimsy one. The suit should come with a nice hard plastic one that will work just fine, but if it doesn't.. Buy one at Bed Bath & Beyond for a couple of dollars. Again, it's worth it.

Just some examples.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/menswea...=1161193302104

I think these look great personally but they will look different on big guys like us. I have bought the Jones New York Brand and been happy with it.

Oh and your comment about "Too conservative" I don't know much about non conservative ones. When you're wearing a suit, it's to look formal and classy. Make your statements with your other clothes. I'm a t-shirt and shorts guy so I'm all about being comfortable and not dressing up for things.. When it comes to interviews, get the standard/classy look. It's important.

Oh, might as well buy charcoal color so it can be worn as a funeral/wedding/event suit as well.

#3 ·
Dh is a big guy and I used to sell men's suits (and better sportswear) so I know men's clothes. Haha.

Men's Wearhouse is great in a pinch. They're pretty quick on the tailoring and pretty reasonably priced. However, I think their pants are poor quality fabric and they wear much too quickly for their cost. ($90-130 for slacks) Seams breaking, wear on the fabric around the pocket area, etc. BUT, options are limited when you're that size so you have to go with what you can find.

I second pp's recommendation of charcoal for a suit, or navy. Don't do black for an interview suit.

DH's shoes are Dansk? They are nice and have lasted for a great long time.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdl2k5 View Post
*Edit. Go Today! It'll only be a great suit if they tailor it and it fits perfectly*

I am 6'3. I'm not 48"s but not far from it. I highly highly recommend Men's Wearhouse. You know the "You're going to like the way you look.. I gurantee it" Great suits, Good prices. Go today though, they'll need to tailor it to give it a good fit. Not sure if they can get it by Friday, but one thing about them is that they will always try. (Here at least, I've had excellent service at the one here in Knoxville, TN and the one in Atlanta when I lived there.)

The thing that's nice about Men's Wearhouse is that they are usually professional "dressers" I'm not saying they are top end great people but all they deal with every day is men just like your husband coming in and saying "I need a suit, Help!"

Shoes. I have 2 pairs. A Black set of Dockers that is really comfortable I spent about hmm $50 on? And a brown pair of Johnston & Murphy shoes that I paid around $130 for. If he's going to wear dress shoes every single day, I'd eventually invest in a nice pair of shoes. If they're just interview shoes, don't bother. By don't bother, I mean you can get away with a cheap pair. The different in expensive and cheap shoes typically is the ability for the leather not to break down over time.

I wear dress shoes every day so I wear my J&M's daily. Ask about polish/shine kits also. (Or just go buy one at Target) He will need one. I try to clean/polish mine every few weeks and once every year or so I take them to a shoe repair shop locally and have them "repaired" to fix nicks in the leather, etc. It's worth it to take care of nice shoes.

I wouldn't do Doc Martens if it were me, although I wear shoes like that all the time when no interviewing/conducting business. People do notice.

Check list Interview

Well pressed suit that FITS is the #1 thing. Any time the suit feels uncomfortable, go have it refitted. It's worth every penny to have it fit PERFECTLY.
Clean look. I would imagine this doesn't need to be said.
Shoes nice and shined.
Tie Tack, Get one and use it. Even if it's

I'm not talking about those cheesey Tux/Wedding Shoes. Just a nice pair of comfortable shoes. Oh and from experience, if they aren't comfortable day 1, don't expect them to break in like tennis shoes. Dress shoes have a tendency to have sharp edges for that "crisp" look. All it does is gives you blisters. You can get great shoes that are comfortable, Don't let someone tell you that they'll "Break in" Find a comfortable shoe. It's important. Also, grab one of those shoe horns and USE it. The shoes will be ruined within 6 months of forcing feet in and out of them if you don't. (especially with chaep shoes) They don't work like tennis shoes where they're designed to get that kind of "abuse"

Dry Clean your Suit! And use a heavy duty wooden hanger. The suit will ruin over time of sitting on a flimsy one. The suit should come with a nice hard plastic one that will work just fine, but if it doesn't.. Buy one at Bed Bath & Beyond for a couple of dollars. Again, it's worth it.

Just some examples.

I think these look great personally but they will look different on big guys like us. I have bought the Jones New York Brand and been happy with it.

Oh and your comment about "Too conservative" I don't know much about non conservative ones. When you're wearing a suit, it's to look formal and classy. Make your statements with your other clothes. I'm a t-shirt and shorts guy. When it comes to interviews. get the nice thing.

Oh, might as well buy charcoal color so it can be worn as a funeral/wedding/event suit as well.
Thanks a million! Your comments are very helpful! I had been thinking we'd start at Mens Wearhouse since there is one close by. I know what you mean about suits being conservative by nature. I figured out what I think I meant and that is, what DH has worn in the past has not really fit all that well. So, he looks uncomfortable because well, he is. And then he looks like some guy who doesn't like to wear a suit--almost like a kid whose mom made him dress up, IYKWIM.
So, it's not less conservative that he needs, it's a better fit.

#5 ·
I'm a bigger guy too. Just get them to fit and tailor them. For this one time and then in the future any time it doesn't fit. Any time a wedding/event is coming up have him try it on about 2-3 weeks beforehand if you can and go and have him get it refitted if it needs it. It happens to me all the time. An inch here and there can make a big difference.

#6 ·
My husband is a tall guy- 6'3" and around 220 pounds. He wears a 40x32 pants and 19.19.5 collar dress shirt. Since I do his shopping, I know how much of a pain it can be to shop for his size. Especially since he also has long arms.

But where I generally go to buy dress shirts and slacks is J.C. Penney. They have a plus size section for men and their prices are reasonable. Your hubby can simply buy a suit jacket and matching slacks and then coordinate with a dress shirt. I would check them out simply because they might save you more $$ than buying Mens Warehouse.

Good Luck!

#7 ·
I'm a Big dude. I have a 56" chest and wear a 38in waist pant. I must have my stuff tailored. I dont know what part of the planet you live on but most big and tall places carry quality clothing now. The George Foreman line is awesome. I live by a Casual Male Big & Tall shop. It carries the George Foreman line and many others, good pricing and great quality.

www.casualmale.com

It's all about proper fit.

#9 ·
I have to agree with those that have suggested Mens' Wearhouse...my dh is 6'2" and wears pants that are 42x36 and 50L jackets, it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy him clothes 'off the rack' but he's had great success at Mens' Wearhouse. He has a half dozen suits, they ALL came from there, and so now he has a 'personal salesman' that calls him (ME, lol) to let him know when there are specials going on. If you join their 'Perfect Fit' club you'll also get gift certificates for spending a certain amount of money. He has two $50 gc's to use right now and I think they were for spending $500 at the store.

#10 ·
DH is 6'5 and 350 or so. The only suit he owns came from Men's Warehouse, so my vote goes to them as well. Thankfully he can wear just normal clothes to work. We get his casual clothes from Burlington Coat Factory and they're CHEAP. He found shirts, jeans and a hoody all in his size. (5-6XL shirts, 48 pant) Shirts were as low as $6 and his favorite jeans were around $25.

Shoes come from Casual Male, he wears a 15 so that's really the only place we can get his shoes from. He's got a few t shirts from there too, but they run $20 each. O_O

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.