Are there other SAHD out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just wondering if there are many dads out there who stay at home with their child or other families who work out a schedule so that their child does not need daycare?

My husband stays with my 17 mo ds and (I think) is feeling very lonely doing it. I work part time and am also a student (I'm a nurse so felt that I needed to work some to keep my skills up while in school). We both support attachment parenting.

Thanks!

Mama to 8 yo ds and 4 yo dd.treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifjumpers.gifbellyhair.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 09:34 PM

my husband stays at home as well...our son is eight weeks old so the baby and staying at home are both new. Where are you located? We are in chicago and I'm sure my husband would love to chat in person or via the internet....
Old 12-11-2006, 10:53 PM

I wish.
I managed to spend 3 hours with my DD the other evening and we both loved every minute of it.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:46 PM

There are 2 SAHD's at my playgroup on Wednesdays... How cool is that?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:55 AM

My DH is (ok, he works a few hours a week in the evenings to get adult time and a tiny bit of spending money.)

During the day, he is home with the 3 year old and the 8 month old. I sleep with the girls until I get up to go to work, and then he takes my space in bed. The girls love to snuggle with Daddy as much (if not more) than they do me! He feeds the 8 month old pumped BM during the day.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:26 AM

Hello, I'm a stay at home dad who also runs an online buisness as well. I decided since I was a stay at home dad to also start up a plastic model buisness that I can also run from home.

Question to other Dads out there what is your biggest complaint. Mine is public bathrooms. I take my child into a public rest room and most of the time we end up coming out and going somewhere cleaner. I can't think of how many times I've been in Wal Mart Etc and seen a mens bathroom that would be better cleaned with a blow torch and still not pass my standards. Thats my biggest gripe. hope to meet many of you in the coming weeks
Old 12-12-2006, 01:27 PM

My husband is also a SAHD and I think he really enjoys it. It's really hard work, but I know they have a great time together.

I think he's found some good help/support from Slowlane.com.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:40 PM

My dh has been a SAHD for 4 years now and he loves it. He offered to quit his job and stay at home when we first began talking about having children. He quit his job about a week before I had our now 4 yo dd; and he stays at home with her and we added another dd, who is now 2 years old. He does most of the housework, laundry and shopping. We take turns cooking dinner, one cooks and the other cleans up afterward, every other day we switch off.

When each of my girls were babies, he would bring her to my office at lunch so that I could breastfeed on my lunch break. The remainder of the day he gave her expressed breastmilk in a bottle. He always made their babyfood for them, using our own garden vegetables (he managed the garden, too!).

We love our lifestyle so much! I am so grateful to have my dh and to see the incredible bond he has with our two dd's.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 PM

I *think* there is a thread somewhere in the working mothers forum for mothers who work while their partners are homemakers.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
I *think* there is a thread somewhere in the working mothers forum for mothers who work while their partners are homemakers.
Oh, I'll have to find that! DH is an awesome dad, and he and the girls are SO bonded, but we do have our moments when I am less thrilled.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My DH has been a SAHD for 7 yrs. In the past year he went back to grad. school, but he's still the one home during the day. One of his gripes was the weird stares at the park, but after our DD1 started preschool we cultivated a fantastic group of friends from there, some of whom also have non-traditional families, and that has been great. They all help each other out, rotate lunches and playdates, take care of each others kids in a pinch, etc. I am actually at home working in my office here full time, so I get to be in on the fun sometimes when I can get away.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 12-16-2006, 05:56 PM

Yeah, I'm a SAHD! I was a student for quite a long time but when our daughter was born in March I decided to just focus on taking care of her and doing household stuff. It works out pretty well since my wife works from home (for the time being, at least) and so I don't feel so lonely. I can see how it would be pretty hard for SAHDs whose wives/partners work away from home. I get together once a week with a mother with two children who lives in our apartment complex but other than that I pretty much rely on my wife for adult interaction.

In response to Leav97, I would agree that men's public restrooms can be a pretty unattractive place to change a baby. We travel a fair amount, so I think my biggest complaint so far is public bathrooms that either don't have a changing table or have a changing table in a very awkward spot. I was once in a public restroom where the changing table was located right between two banks of urinals. Not the most friendly place to change a baby!

Jacob
Old 12-16-2006, 06:42 PM

I am a seasonal SAHD. My wife left her job when our 1st was born and has been home since. I started my own business doing irrigation contracting because my previous job would have left me no time to be with my family. Every year I have to make the adjustment from working full time to parenting full time(to be honest half time as my wife and I share the duties). The first week out of work, I lose my mind, my temper and my sense of proportions. But this passes and I settle into the routine and find the pleasure in it. Even when all I hear is "Daddy" 200 times a minute.

Sometimes I wish my wife had continued working and I had stayed home but then I realize that my kids would never have turned out so wonderful.

Good luck, Brother.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:45 PM

Here is another thread from the Working Mothers Forum.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=451253

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:25 PM

My dh was a sahd for the first 3yrs. We decided to put dd in preschool last year and this year. Now he works at night and I work the traditional hours.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:47 AM

My husband has been a SAHD for over 3 years now. And for two years before that we had split schedule -- he was home during the day and I was at night. I am an attorney and he is a retired chef. We have three kids -- 7, 3 and 1. It is a struggle in so many ways.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:41 PM

My dh is a SAHD. We're working hard to try and make ends meet, but it's so worth it. He loves it. So do I.

Julia
dd 9mos
Old 01-03-2007, 06:01 PM

My DH has been a SAHD since DD1 was born. He's awesome! DD1 is now 4, and we have DD2 now, who is 16 mos.

I work at home so I'm here, but I have to be doing my job most of the day so there's no way I could watch the kids AND work. He is laid back, patient, and willing to let them jump on his abdomen repeatedly. We are so lucky!

He has met quite a few other at-home dads in our town (only about 3,300 people in the town, so that seems like a lot!) and our kids have regular playdates with one of the other at-home dad families. It rocks.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:36 PM

My Dh is a mostly-stay-at-home dad. He's a waiter, so on the days he doesn't work, he's with the girls, and on the days he does, usually I am. he loves it. He takes Fiona to and from school, a co-op preschool in which most of the moms are SAHMs, and the moms have kind of adopted him -- it's cute!
Encourage him to get out more, seriously, he'll do just fine!
xoxo
Charlotte
Old 01-18-2007, 02:12 PM

my wife and i both work shift work, and though we are on opposite shifts often, we are hoping to manage as little day care as possible when the kids arrive. both sets of grandparents are close by and ready to pitch in on a regular basis. we shall see how it really works out.
we are seriously considering homeschool when they get there, the question is who will get to stay home me or her? i offered to arm wrestle her for it but she didn't go for that, and then countered by saying i could do it if i gave up my motorcycle - so the question rages on... :
Old 01-20-2007, 07:50 PM

My husband is a SAHD - we are in the Atlanta area. He loves hanging out with our daughter and is doing a wonderful job with her.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:11 PM

my dh is sahd... has been since ds was 4 weeks old ... and IMO is amazing.

only thing is, I know he's really lonely - he adores spending the time with ds, but is yearning for adult company... we're trying to get ds potty trained in the next couple of months so he can come to school with me (in the pre-nursery class)... but even then there's really nothing for dh to do - it was bad enough at home, but even worse now we've moved to a foreign country (according to my employment contract he's not allowed to work... well, they're not allowed to find out about it - put it that way)

don't suppose anyone has any suggestions for me to pass on? I've just opened the slowlane website so he finds it on the pc when he gets home (we have a friend staying at the moment - so he's out with him... and feels bad for it mind you!!!!!)

sorry for rambling...
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM

Heck, there are millions of SAHDs out there...the technical term for them is "farmers".
Old 04-03-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
Heck, there are millions of SAHDs out there...the technical term for them is "farmers".
Actually, I'd call farmers WAHD. Any farmer dads have an opinion?

Julia
dd 1 year old
Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 AM

I was a SAHD in the long-term relationship I was in before I met my wife. Though the child wasn't of my blood, I still did the best I could for him and was a father to him, something his biological father refused to do.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:54 PM

SAHD checking in!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:06 PM

My husband is home with the kids during most days while I work and he leaves in the evening to see clients in their homes.

We have always worked out schedules so that either one of us is home. He has always done more than his fair share of childcare and household work although that has waxed and waned over the years.

He sometimes feel like the lone dad out there going on field trips, dropping kids off, volunteering, doc appts, etc. but around here, at least, it is becoming more common.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post
Actually, I'd call farmers WAHD. Any farmer dads have an opinion?

Julia
dd 1 year old
I always thought WAHD was a subset of SAHD. (The way "oaks" is a subset of "trees".)
Old 04-22-2007, 07:51 PM

My husband stays home with DD. We were actually planning to put her into full-time daycare when I had to go back to work at 6 weeks. Thankfully, we realized how ridiculous it would be for the majority of DH's salary to go to paying someone else to take care of our child. We've had to make some sacrifices, but it is so worth it.

I think it really helps me to exclusively BF, too. I can trust him to feed her correctly, not wasting my milk, and he brings her to nurse at lunch at least once a week.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:50 AM

I'm a fairly new SAHD. My wife and I have a beautiful 4 1/2 mo. old (teething and not sleeping!). I'm also a wedding photographer so I can shoot on the weekends when DW is home. The challenge is doing the tremendous amount of post processing and putting together the albums, etc.

I had grand ideas when I began my job as SAHD. I thought we'd get out to the park all the time and I'd take her hiking (in a sling or other carrier) and go to the beach and the zoo, etc. We did this for a while and even went into The City to see mom at work at sometimes. Then about a month ago baby began not sleeping and it became a challenge to get her down for naps after she'd been up almost every hour or two during the night.

Now I've adjusted my perception a bit as to the reality of the situation and we take it day by day. I don't get as much house work done I'd like, let alone business work. I do love it every bit though and realise there will be a day when we will be able to all the things I'd hoped we could together.

Sean

User Tag List