spinoff - New Dad Books for a non-reader - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-21-2006, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there Dads

I am looking for a book or source of info for my DH. We will be having our first baby in April. And as loving and caring as my DH is, he does lack knowledge and understanding about pregnancy, childcare and howmuch work it really will be.

A good example recently - we were shopping for clothes for the first time, and DH remarked "we should only be getting 0-3 m stuff since by the time the baby grows out of that, you'll (we'll) have done plenty of shopping." : He was serious.

I don't want to impead on him finding his own way to care for our baby, and I know he will be great, but I figure he probably needs a little knowledge to start with and I don't want him to feel like only mom's know the answer to anything.

So I am looking for a book that discusses things in an AP manner, but that we wouldn't need to read cover-to-cover like a book. My DH is a slower reader so he gets frustrated with books quickly if he needs to be able to read and comprehend the entire book all together, does that make sense?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Wife to DH Chris, Momma to :Caitlin Mae (4-28-07)
#2 of 3 Old 12-26-2006, 01:02 AM

One of the books that I found helpful was The Baby Book by Dr. Sears. It got me started at least. After awhile, I didn't/don't agree with everything in the book but it's a good starting point. Also, you don't have to read it cover-to-cover...just pick a section that addresses an issue you have a question about.

For pregnancy and birthing information, I'd recommend Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. There's no better preparation than living vicariously through others' experiences. Again, it's broken into a lot of short stories so it's not a cover-to-cover read.

For parenting prep, look for books by Alfie Kohn. I think he has great ideas on how to relate to your child.

And, last but not least, involve him in your MDC experience and encourage him to spend some time here reading about what other parents are doing/experiencing. He'll get exposed to EVERYTHING here! Heck, he should have his own membership here!

Of course, there's a ton more, but these are the ones that pop into my mind.
#3 of 3 Old 12-26-2006, 12:42 PM

A great book is Becoming A Father by Sears. It's hard to imagine what life with a baby will be like, i remember thinking some silly things before our first was born. Hopefully it will help with that and also the importance of fatherhood.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page