do you wear underwear under long johns? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-17-2007, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh and I have a difference of opinion on this one.... So do you or don't you? Not to sleep in, but if you are layering to go sledding for example.
#2 of 18 Old 01-19-2007, 05:12 AM

It depends if the long johns are cotton, silk, or sythetic. If it's cotton you don't have to because it'll insulate and keep you warm but freeze your ass off you're wet, you can wear underwear underneath if you want. If it's silk I don't because silk somewhat naturally wicks sweat off the surface of your skin to keep you dry but in itself it's not that warm. If it's sythetic like Thinsolate, thermos or the high altitude technical stuff that ice climbers, hikers, mountaineers use than definately no underwear because they're specifically designed to wick sweat away and keep you warm and dry. Hope that helps. Ultimately it's pretty much whatever you feel comfortable in, no ones going to call the fashion police on you.
#3 of 18 Old 01-19-2007, 11:00 PM

My DH doesn't .... he says they are called long underwear for a reason
#4 of 18 Old 01-19-2007, 11:51 PM

I literally JUST finished reading this thread: http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/54794

Strange that I ran into it twice.
#5 of 18 Old 01-20-2007, 11:44 AM

I just started a thread about this very same thing in TAO. i did not even think to come here for the male opinion. I am trying to convince dh to wear undies with his because he wears them for 4-5 days at a time and that is just not clean. What do you think guys?
#6 of 18 Old 01-21-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I just started a thread about this very same thing in TAO. i did not even think to come here for the male opinion. I am trying to convince dh to wear undies with his because he wears them for 4-5 days at a time and that is just not clean. What do you think guys?

What do we think about the original question or wearing long underwear for 4-5 days in a row? I dunno if could wear underwear for that long not even when I'm on a multiday backpacking trip I bring extra tighty-whites and/or wash my in the river or down stream water source.
#7 of 18 Old 02-03-2007, 12:20 PM

I always wear shorts under my thermals because I will wear them day after day. If he is changing his thermals every day or so, I don't see the need for drawers.
#8 of 18 Old 02-04-2007, 03:13 PM

I grew up in Wisconsin where we had to wear long underwear a lot and I (and everybody in my family) always wore underwear underneath them, for all that's worth. I used to wear cotton long johns growing up but now I prefer the thin synthetic kind and with those I definitely think you should wear briefs beneath them.
#9 of 18 Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 PM

DH wears boxer-briefs under his.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#10 of 18 Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 PM

FWIW, I think it also depends *how* you're wearing them- i.e. if you're weraing them as underwear, then you should have a pair for each day of the week, if you're wearing them just as insulators and plan to wear the same pair all week, then you should wear gitch under them.

DH wears the same pair all week.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#11 of 18 Old 02-05-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotheringMe View Post
I literally JUST finished reading this thread: http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/54794

Strange that I ran into it twice.
I especially liked this comment:
Quote:
Short underwear is worn for hygiene, to protect your clothes from your smelly bits. Long underwear is worn for warmth. If you tend to wear your clothes more than once between washes, then wear short and long underwear together. If you wear your clothes only once between washes (this seems to be an American thing), then it doesn't make a difference. And if you wear your short underwear more than once between washes (this seems to be a [insert-culture-you-wish-to-insult] thing), it also doesn't make a difference.
#12 of 18 Old 02-05-2007, 03:30 AM

DH doesn't, they aren't called long underwear for nothing. I bet trying to get boxers on under tight long johns would be quite the feat He rarely wears them at all but we have a few sets of them.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#13 of 18 Old 02-10-2007, 05:56 PM

Underwear inside the longjohns here. (as opposed to Superman style on the outside?)

But I only wear the lj's for active stuff. Sledding, Running, Rowing (only in fall). Day-to-day stuff like going to work, errands, and so forth I don't bother layering beyond a pair of pants. If I lived in MN or Canada I might reconsider that.
#14 of 18 Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 PM

commando all the way
#15 of 18 Old 02-17-2007, 01:44 AM

I go for layers. I switch off the lowest layer everyday and switch the other layers less often. Of course when I was running short on shorts we had to do a Valley Forge.
#16 of 18 Old 05-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Normally I am all about going commando, but if I am putting long johns on its cold! I want the important parts to stay good and warm so I do wear them. Under Armor pants as well.
#17 of 18 Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 AM

my husband always layers, as long as all of the underwear and outerwear fit properly this isn't a problem. i guess the underwear wouldn't be as important if the longjons are a natural wicking fiber (like wool).
#18 of 18 Old 06-06-2007, 04:30 AM

Mine does. Another layer to keep his manbits toasty, I think

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page