What do you think of kilts? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: My thoughts on CASUAL kilts are...
I am a MAN and I would wear one - that's how much I love them 9 4.35%
I am a MAN and I like them but wouldn't wear one 0 0%
I am a MAN and I could take it or leave it - to each his own 7 3.38%
I am a MAN and I think men wearing casual kilts is just weird. 3 1.45%
I am a WOMAN and I want my husband to wear one - that's how much I love them 99 47.83%
I am a WOMAN and I like them but wouldn't want my husband to wear one 12 5.80%
I am a WOMAN and I can take it or leave it - to each his own. 57 27.54%
I am a WOMAN and I think men wearing casual kilts is just weird. 20 9.66%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indignantgirl View Post
All the women I know wish their men would wear a kilt, at least every once in a while for "fun".

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love kilts and I've been trying to get my husband to wear one since we met. He is totally into it but because he is part scottish he feels he needs to gather more info about his clan before he does.

Laura
#33 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Wow. See, I read this thread and thought, "OK, kilts.... Prince Charles... the trio of ugly bagpipers at my 8th grade graduation... ehhhhhh."

And then I read on this thread about all these men who have a kilt collection, and a bunch of women who drool over them.

Obviously I'm behind the times. So I check out the Utilikilts site. Oh my. Not exactly what I was thinking, I guess. So now I'm going to have to show DH and see what he thinks. My best guess is that he'll like them and be interested, but not actually have the guts to wear them out of the house (and if he can't wear them out of the house, he won't bother wearing them at all).

The commercial on the site was really funny. I loved the fantasies that guy was having of all the manly things he could do in a Utilikilt, especially the puttering around on the car. I could see DH doing that in a kilt, except for the oil change (you really want pants for that one).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#34 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 04:11 PM

i think a kilt is hot. i would love for my dh to wear one but i doubt he will ever get one. of course, he loves me in a skirt but i rarely ever wear one, so i guess i can't blame him...

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#35 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama View Post
Also, I could see them being more "acceptable" in the Pacific Northwest, like I could envision it looking good on a guy in Seattle or Portland. In stuffy New England (where I am) it'd be more of an anomoly.
My BIL has one and wears it all the time. We see them everywhere up here (portland) I voted I am a woman- and i love them, and want dh to wear one.

LOVE THEM!!!

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

#36 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i voted to each his own, but dh would look oh so scottish in a kilt. drop him down in edinburgh and nobody would bat an eye. he's got great legs for it, too. he is part scottish and part german and part english and part everything european mutt, but i tell you put the kilt on and he'd look like rob roy himself.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#37 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
Wow. See, I read this thread and thought, "OK, kilts.... Prince Charles... the trio of ugly bagpipers at my 8th grade graduation... ehhhhhh."
Heh. I thought of Mike Meyers in that movie about his wife being an axe-murderer...neon-white chicken legs in kilts with dark hair...*shudders* Yeah, some of those unikilt guys are hot. It's still not my thing.

Of course, my husband would never ever ever consider one because he is British (ethnic English) and well...let's put it this way. He once boycotted the name "Andrew" on my baby boy name list, because it was "too Scottish sounding". I guess it's different for Americans trying to reconnect with their ancestral ethnicity. I don't think it would go over outside of Scotland or North America, because there is an extremely strong cultural association with it. I think it might be like me, a non-Asian, wearing a kimono or a sari.

I did know an American coworker who wore one to work one day. He had researched his family and had determined which clan his ancestors belonged to. He was very proud and I respect that. Of course, the Europeans in the office looked at him in the strangest way. For me, I guess I automatically trip over the specific cultural association.
#38 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 PM

My DH has the Workman's Utilikilt. I LOVE it and so does he! It is his favorite garment to wear. We're going to be getting him the Mocker kilt, too: it is more classy and will be great for dates.
#39 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 PM

Men in kilts...totally hot! My DH has worn a kilt or two in his time. I have made many a kilt for many a customer (costume designer) both formal and great. About 25% of the weddings I do, the men, at least the groom, are in a kilt.

yum!

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#40 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 PM

My dh wears a kilt in MY family's tartan (McLaren). It matches my dad's and my BIL's. When they are together they look dropjaw gorgeous.
My dad wore a kilt for his wedding, dh wore a kilt for ours. It's a part of who we are.
I love his kilt. It's his sexiest, most comfortable article of clothing.
He wears it for every holiday/wedding/birthday/just for the hell of it sometimes. I like when he wears it with wellies while he's smoking salmon for Christmas. Mmm mm mm!

He has a book called, So, Your Going to Wear the Kilt, in which the author says that if you can think of a single social situation in which you would be uncomfortable wearing a kilt, then kilt wearing is not for you! Hee hee!

ETA: I just checked out the utilikilt website. I like the concept, love that they are made in the US! However, for my taste, the men modelling the kilts and in the commercials are wearing them a bit long. There is a sweet spot right above the knee where I think they look best. Not too short, not too long. The ones shown look a bit frumpy, or maybe just cut for an older/more traditional man.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#41 of 79 Old 08-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH has a workman's version utilikilt and he wears it when he's doing heavy work outside in the summer, mostly. It's a little too stiff and, well, canvas for my tastes.

He has another black kilt that he got at a goth-y type shop that is softer and hangs better imo, but is more for going out in, not so much for everyday. The fabric is similar to the regular utilikilt.

They're very popular on the west coast in certain circles...

I didn't vote because I like them and I think DH looks great in it, but I don't usually WANT him to wear a certain thing. which is good, because he is insanely picky.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#42 of 79 Old 08-24-2007, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Super sexy providing the guy doesn't have chicken legs.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#43 of 79 Old 08-25-2007, 10:18 AM

"Weird. They seem pretty practical and comfortable from a non-fashion point of view, especially for a man. They allow you to keep cool, and hey, no fly or shirt untucking or anything when you have to pee. Just seems like if they are anything it is practical."

Wear a skirt for a month- ideally, sometime around March / April. Then get back to me. They seem practical until you are running for a bus on a windy day with your hands full, or you want to climb stairs and they (long skirts) get caught around your ankles, or, or, or...

I appreciate your points but as someone who has worn many a skirt, they are my least favorite bottoms. Even dresses have advantages over skirts.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#44 of 79 Old 08-25-2007, 11:39 AM

I voted dh's answer to it I'm not really a man

I personally think the utilikilts are cool!! I'd be tickled to see dh in one!
#45 of 79 Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 PM

Kilts are sssseeeeeeeeexxxxyyyyyy!!!
#46 of 79 Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 PM

My husband wears a sport kilt and he really looks great in it. We just went to the highland games a week ago and I'm still smiling.....
#47 of 79 Old 08-28-2007, 01:42 AM

Now that I've managed to pick myself up off from the floor after seeing the prices of the Utilikilts (more than my 5 bedroom house payment).....

Traditional kilts rock. On my tall skinny legged DH, NEVER!

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#48 of 79 Old 08-28-2007, 01:58 AM

The fancier utilikilts are expensive but I don't think the everydayish ones are too bad. DP is going to buy the regular black one and he also wants a courderoy one

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#49 of 79 Old 08-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Utilikilts are TOTALLY hot. :

My husband would look fabulous in one but I don't think he'd wear one... out of the house

The day after AP had the utilikilts story last month I saw a man wearing one at Target.

I bake, therefore I am.
#50 of 79 Old 08-28-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamama View Post
I just checked out the utilikilt website. I like the concept, love that they are made in the US! However, for my taste, the men modelling the kilts and in the commercials are wearing them a bit long. There is a sweet spot right above the knee where I think they look best. Not too short, not too long.
Exactly!

Just above the knee is just right!
#51 of 79 Old 08-28-2007, 03:37 PM

We have a saying at my costume shop when dressing men in kilts ...

"if it is below the knee it is a dress, if it's above the knee it's a skirt, if it is at the knee it's a kilt!"

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#52 of 79 Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do mid-18th century historical re-enactmenting as part of the 84th Scottish Highland Immigrants. So my husband owns a kilt. He only wears it at re-enactments, but it's totally hot. It's kind of a running joke at the Feast of the Hunter's Moon that the kids all have very similar birthdays...

My husband and I are both of Irish heritage.
#53 of 79 Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 PM

my husband does wear one cause he is from scotland! He has a formal get up and he wore it to our wedding and wears it whenever we have a formal occasion to go to.

Nothing sexier than guy in a kilt and old tee shirt and some doc martens!
#54 of 79 Old 08-29-2007, 03:30 AM

My DH and DS both love their kilts. My DS can't wear them to work but he will usually wear it on his day off. My DS would love to wear one everyday....guess that is why he has 3 of them.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#55 of 79 Old 08-29-2007, 04:41 PM

Hi,

not sure exactly how they would be for construction like when I am on the roof.
#56 of 79 Old 08-29-2007, 07:36 PM

What a fun thread! One of the Dads at DD's school wears them daily and I think they're fabulous....and very sexy. Alas, DH just smirks whenever I tell him how wonderful he'd look in a kilt.
#57 of 79 Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 PM

My husband owns kilts; they are not tartans. He owns both Utili- and Ameri- kilts... both rock!

I love men in kilts. I think kilts are hot and voted that I want my husband to wear one. I highly recommend them.

In fact, sarongs are also wonderful garments that look good on men. My husband loves 'em and he has many of them.

That's my nickel's worth.

J.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#58 of 79 Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Where's the vote for "I'm a woman and I like them but I dont HAVE a husband to wear them or not wear them!"?

I had to vote "take them or leave them"

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#59 of 79 Old 08-29-2007, 11:39 PM

Our Baby Henry came home from the hospital in a kilt! Too cute!
#60 of 79 Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriu5 View Post
Our Baby Henry came home from the hospital in a kilt! Too cute!
Awww... do you have a picture?

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page