What do you think of kilts? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: My thoughts on CASUAL kilts are...
I am a MAN and I would wear one - that's how much I love them 9 4.35%
I am a MAN and I like them but wouldn't wear one 0 0%
I am a MAN and I could take it or leave it - to each his own 7 3.38%
I am a MAN and I think men wearing casual kilts is just weird. 3 1.45%
I am a WOMAN and I want my husband to wear one - that's how much I love them 99 47.83%
I am a WOMAN and I like them but wouldn't want my husband to wear one 12 5.80%
I am a WOMAN and I can take it or leave it - to each his own. 57 27.54%
I am a WOMAN and I think men wearing casual kilts is just weird. 20 9.66%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 08-02-2007, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been made aware of utilikilts and I must admit I'm loving the idea and want to see dh in one. But he isn't so convinced, Irish though he be.

What's the consensus around here? What do men think of men, and what do women think of men who wear casual kilts?
#2 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 AM

mmmm....I would love to see DH in a kilt!
yummy!
#3 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 AM

Kilts rule!
However, it's waaaay too hot here in Alabama to wear a regular kilt except in the dead of winter. Those nine yards of pleated wool hold heat like you wouldn't believe!
Utilikilts are a great idea, but they tend to be a little on the drab-looking side.
I'm looking for (or more to the point, probably looking at having to make) a more traditionally-styled kilt made of cotton.

Also, REAL MEN DRESS REGIMENTAL!
#4 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 AM

voted for my husband... he wears one, and I love it when he does
#5 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 12:20 PM

Utilikilts rock, its one of the things on my list to save up and get a few.
#6 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 12:43 PM

I don't particularly care for utilikilts, but I would definatly wear a kilt in my clan's (Sutherland) tartan.
#7 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 PM

I think kilts are awesome. (My dad wears one) Utilikilts are nifty too. My dh doesn't go for kilts so much, though he certainly has the legs to look good in one!:

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#8 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 PM

My sister co-founded the Utilikilts Company. I never thought my dh was the kilt-wearing type, but she got one for him. He doesn't wear it that often (he doesn't think he's the type, either). But I think he looks mighty fine in it.

I think that most of the time, men look good in kilts.
#9 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Scottish men look okay. It's one of those ethnic pieces that somehow only seems okay in context, like while accompanied by bagpipes and people trying to convince one another that Edinburgh is more cosmopolitan than London. DH has stubby legs and I don't think a kilt would suit him. Overall I'm not keen on skirts for men or women. Too impractical.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#10 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahtob View Post
Overall I'm not keen on skirts for men or women. Too impractical.
Weird. They seem pretty practical and comfortable from a non-fashion point of view, especially for a man. They allow you to keep cool, and hey, no fly or shirt untucking or anything when you have to pee. Just seems like if they are anything it is practical.
#11 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 04:27 PM

I saw a guy in a "utilikilt" at the farmers' market this weekend.
Um, he looked silly. Sorry.
#12 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 04:45 PM

utilikilts have been all the rage out here for four or five years. i think they are very manly and most of the guys i know that wear them are totally hot, my mate would just look a little funny. he has that body type (belly and skinny little legs) that just looks unattractive in kilts. the guys that look really hot in kilts have very muscular legs and nice abs.

eh. who needs a signature?
#13 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Other. I'm a woman and I think they're great, if you're Scottish and it's representative of your heritage/clan. Otherwise, it's like wearing a sombrero around Boston. (not that that's native Mexican gear, but it's the best example I could think of.)

Sorry, guys. If it's not your heritage, no dice. We have to wear pantyhose - WE get the skirts.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#14 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 05:46 PM

I think those are pretty cool! I think I would wear one...

CR
#15 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Also, REAL MEN DRESS REGIMENTAL!
But of course they do...

My DH wears a kilt now and then and can pleat/wrap/tuck the great kilt in mere moments. I love him in a kilt. The utilikilt is fun and a few guys around town wear them.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#16 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 07:25 PM

We have Scottish and Irish heritage so we LOVE kilts in this home.

LOVE THEM.

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#17 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 08:39 PM

Holy MOLEY the Utilikilts are spendy!! ( I just looked at the website) Old Navy needs a men's skirt line!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#18 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 PM

OMgosh the opening commercial on the site is hysterical! I am LOVING those kilts. That totally rocks. I can't wait to show DP when he gets home... I'm not so sure the other linemen in his union would appreciate him wearing one to work so much but I could definately tolerate a little bit of that sexy irish action when he's not working

On a more serious note, dp is Irish and we are planning to celebrate our family with a wedding which will include our kiddos. He wants to wear a kilt and he wants our boys to wear them as well. We aren't a super formal family so these could be a really fun option for us! I wonder what they might look like along with Kippah's?

A kilted, Irish Jew. Yummy.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#19 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 PM

i like utilikilts - i like men in utilikilts, in general. hotness.
but dh in a utilikilt - i don't really think so.
#20 of 79 Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 AM

Being a scot it is pretty normal for 'our' family to wear kilts and boy do the guys look good in them and certainly when my brother got married in Spain and everyone who was a scot wore kilts they certainly turned a few heads, however I do have to say that you have to have the bottom to carry off a kilt - it needs a good sway to it and good thick stocky legs are just right too IMPO!! ha ha love this thread - I just returned from scotland today - back to dreary old paris!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#21 of 79 Old 08-22-2007, 12:14 PM

I didn't vote because I probably would wear one, but can't say I exactly "love" them.

Objectively, a skirt-like garment such as a kilt is far more friendly to the male anatomy than trousers/pants. More hygienic, too.

On the other hand, padded shoulders and a stiff, starchy shirt collar (with a tie tightened around it for good measure) allied to a trouser crotch which cramps your style every time you sit down does indeed seem silly, yet it constitutes the everyday dress of millions of men.
#22 of 79 Old 08-22-2007, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was torn between "I am a WOMAN and I want my husband to wear one - that's how much I love them" and "I am a WOMAN and I can take it or leave it- to each his own". Personally, I'm not crazy about them, but for some reason, I've always wanted my Hubby to wear one... just once... I always thought he's look really sexy in one... : : :

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#23 of 79 Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Banned

i answered "i am a woman and i want my H to wear one."

i say this because my husband is very much "against trouser tyranny!" of course, he can't wear his kilts to work (an office), even though people wear shorts all summer there. . .but anyway, too many arguments to get into over that one. LOL

and he's not just into kilts. he has a german designer's "men's skirt" that is floor length and beautifully cut. he wears traditional sarongs of different sorts. he looks good.

for laughs, he'll squeeze into one of my miniskirts. he has nice legs.
#24 of 79 Old 08-22-2007, 04:20 PM

You didn't have a "I am a woman and my husband DOES wear kilts" option. He has two Utilikilts and an Amerikilt. I prefer the Amerikilt because it is black, but that is personal preference. I actually really like the jersey Utilikilts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama View Post
Holy MOLEY the Utilikilts are spendy!! ( I just looked at the website) Old Navy needs a men's skirt line!
Are you in the area (Utilikilt in Seattle)? If so, just go by their store, they have a great 2nds rack. DP's last one was off the 2nds rack. It has a not perfectly straight snap (which is covered up anyway, but still totally functional) and was a LOT cheaper. You can also just call them and ask what they have in the size you're looking for on sale. They used to do this great thing where if you bought a kilt on your birthday you got your age off the price, but I'm not sure they do that anymore.

#25 of 79 Old 08-22-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Are you in the area (Utilikilt in Seattle)? If so, just go by their store, they have a great 2nds rack. DP's last one was off the 2nds rack. It has a not perfectly straight snap (which is covered up anyway, but still totally functional) and was a LOT cheaper. You can also just call them and ask what they have in the size you're looking for on sale. They used to do this great thing where if you bought a kilt on your birthday you got your age off the price, but I'm not sure they do that anymore.
That's cool. I was looking at the prices online and thinking that if DH asked to spend $130 on a skirt I'd ask him what he'd been smoking.

Also, I could see them being more "acceptable" in the Pacific Northwest, like I could envision it looking good on a guy in Seattle or Portland. In stuffy New England (where I am) it'd be more of an anomoly.

#26 of 79 Old 08-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Oh I wish dh would wear a kilt! I think most men look great in kilts. Especially hot young men such as hisself. He probably wouldn't, though. It would be somewhat appropriate as he does have scottish ancestry. Maybe I should buy him one for his birthday!
#27 of 79 Old 08-22-2007, 07:48 PM

I'm a woman and I think kilts on most men look really unflattering and odd. They are a major turn-off for me. If my guy were from Scotland, I would probably think differently. Anyway, my opinion seems to be a minority opinion among crunchy women.
#28 of 79 Old 08-22-2007, 09:18 PM

there needs to be a "i think men in general are HOT in kilts" category :

i don't have a DH so none of those categories fit for me. but dang, i love a man in a skirt. ANY skirt. sarong, utilikilt, women's broomstick skirts. they look reeeeeally good!

pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#29 of 79 Old 08-22-2007, 10:51 PM

Well I am a woman and my husband does wear kilts. He had one hand sewn in Scotland for our wedding and looked fabulous in it. He regularly wears kilts to work and also out and about. I think that if he had other traditional male "skirts"
he would wear those as well. He always tells me that it is the most comfortable thing he owns.

Oh....and did I mention that he looks incredibly hot....he has wonderful legs.....:
#30 of 79 Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 AM

All the women I know wish their men would wear a kilt, at least every once in a while for "fun".

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page