So this is a weird way to announce that I am cautiously expecting a new baby in December.... I'm not quite ready to "go public" but have some health concerns and could use some insight or experience from others.
My DH and I decided in January that we would like to have one more child, so I went to a new OB for an annual & told her we planned to ttc soon. She discussed what prenatal testing I wanted to do and whether or not I would be a high risk pregnancy. I said that we'd like to consider getting the Nuchal Fold Scan done so she said call as soon as I get a BFP.
Almost 2 wks ago we found out that our efforts paid off, so I called the OB. She had me come in right away for labs and a consult. I have had long cycles, so she wanted me to get a sono to date the pg this past Wednesday. The day of the sono, I got a call that my blood work came back abnormal and to make sure I talked with the dr after the sono.
When I had the sono, the tech didn't tell me anything about what she found or show me the screen. She said she wanted to go look at my labs & talk to the dr. Then the nurse met with me and said the dr had to leave for a delivery & here's the news on your labs. I tested positive for antibody E and that it needs to be tested every month of the pregnancy to make sure the titers don't get too high. If it gets too high, it can cause anemia in the baby & I might need a in utero transfusion for the baby. It can also cause heart defects, severe jaundice and a host of other problems. Plus, the sono shows the pregnancy isn't as far along as it should be and my hormone levels are on the low side. They had me do another blood draw to check the hormones & go back today.
The dr told me today a little more about the antibody E condition and said it wasn't a big concern now. She is more concerned about the pregnancy progress, so I go again on Monday for another blood test. She said that she is sending all the lab work on the antibody E to the maternal fetal specialist that I need to see about the NF Scan. I had been on the fence about getting it done, in fact had just convinced myself not to test. Now I feel like I am doomed to have a high risk pg, if I get to even stay pg.
I'm just really upset and sad about this, because it was really hard for me to decide to have a third child. I wasn't sure I could be a good mom to 3 or that it was the right choice financially for us because of Sean's needs. Once I decided I wanted to jump in and make the commitment to another child, I tried to do it with a positive mind that all would go well and we would have a healthy pregnancy and baby this time. Now I am just questioning everything and scared that I made a big mistake.
If anyone has any experience with pregnancy and positive antibody testing or Rh factors, please chime in! I'm going to try not to focus on it and just focus on getting this little bean to grow and stick, but it's hard not to worry. Thanks.
I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.