December DDC Birth Bead Swap *update in #13 & #25* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 115 Old 06-24-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I would bring this up again...

I know several of you ladies were wondering how this would work, check out the thread in the November DDC

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=699466
They have a great start.

I was also wondering if we should start a yahoo group because of the restictions that MDC puts on The Trading Post and running swaps. I know those restrictions might keep some of our mamas from being able to participate.

Also are there any other swaps we'd like to do? Baby Shower swap? Candle swap??

Ideas? Suggestions??? :
#2 of 115 Old 06-24-2007, 10:40 PM

OK- I'm in. can we make sculpey beads?
#3 of 115 Old 06-24-2007, 10:44 PM

Funny, as I was turning on my computer I was thinking I should revive this thread.
I don't know the best way to run the logistics, but maybe somebody (more organized than I am) could volunteer to be the control center, and we could PM her all our addressess and mail the beads to her for distribution, along with a check or paypal or something for mailing costs. Or if other groups have had good luck with yahoo groups, we could try that. I think it's such a nice idea. And Lisa, make all the sculpy beads you want.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#4 of 115 Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 PM

This is such a nice idea. I would love to be involved and help in any way.

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

#5 of 115 Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK- I'm in. can we make sculpey beads?
I don't see why not. Mama made is always great!

I liked the way the Nov. DDC had it set with everyone sending in SASE. Helps the organizer by not having to address the envelopes and not having to round up money- cash checks or money orders etc.

I'll be willing to run the bead swap if no one else wants to...

The yahoo group might be easier than PMing.. I know my PM box can get full at times..
#6 of 115 Old 06-25-2007, 01:44 AM

Wow. I LOVE this idea. I am so excited to get started with this.
#7 of 115 Old 06-25-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellimamo View Post
I liked the way the Nov. DDC had it set with everyone sending in SASE. Helps the organizer by not having to address the envelopes and not having to round up money- cash checks or money orders etc.
That's a good idea.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#8 of 115 Old 06-25-2007, 01:16 PM

I think this is such a great idea! I really think it would be an awesome thing to have during labor.

I would love to participate.
#9 of 115 Old 06-25-2007, 02:00 PM

I think it sounds like a great idea. We just need someone to coordinate the whole thing. I won't volunteer, I'm not organized enough. :
#10 of 115 Old 06-26-2007, 05:11 PM

I'm talking to you. You mom whose got it all under control. You know you want to make sure this goes smoothly, and you know you're the only one here who is smart enough to keep things straight. You know you want to do this. We need you. We'll make it worth your while. I will personally send you $5 just to participate. I'll bet (ahem...) that some of the other ladies can offer up bribery items, too. maybe an Arch card, maybe some beading supplies, findings,etc. Maybe a cool Tshirt or some homemade sourdough starter. Name your price, ultra-organized mother. We need you.
#11 of 115 Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I'll run the swap. I'm going to go set up a group w/ Yahoo and get back to you.

oh and Lisa where's my $5....:
#12 of 115 Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 PM

Whoo-hoo!! A swap and an organizer! Now, I just have one question..I'm assuming that the SASE (great idea, BTW!) would have to be padded, and large enough to hold all the collected beads....how do we know how much postage something like that will require? Do they send those kind of envelopes 1st class? Any mamas with a background of working for the USPS? (or, just smarter than I? )

And what's the timeline....Late Oct/early Nov? I think that'd work best, because it would assure that everyone got theirs in time for the big day, and it would also be done and out of the way before all the holiday stuff gets started.

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#13 of 115 Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Alrighty we have a Yahoo group!!!

It can be found here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MDCdec07/

I will post all the particulars (deadlines, packaging... all that good stuff) here and in group in the next few days.

So go and sign up at Yahoo!!!
#14 of 115 Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 PM

Erin, thanks for organizing this. You rock!

This should be great fun!

K(h)aren. Writing/editing mama to my quixotic Sam (12.07) and my intrepid William (01.11).

#15 of 115 Old 06-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

This sounds really fun - thank you so much for organizing this stellimamo. :
#16 of 115 Old 06-27-2007, 08:14 AM

Thank you Erin for being willing to do this!

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#17 of 115 Old 06-27-2007, 12:14 PM

Thanks for volunteering, Erin!

Molly, mom to three homebirthed girly girls: Lila 6/05, Nellie 12/07, and Lucy 1/11

#18 of 115 Old 06-27-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

You are all very welcome. I'm finishing up all the guidelines and such and should have them posted sometime soon. I'm so excited about all this!! :
#19 of 115 Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 PM

Yay, I'm in the group. Thanks for organizing, Erin. Our kids would be starting school (or maybe college) by the time we got our beads if I was running it.

#20 of 115 Old 06-27-2007, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yay! I'm in. Although I'm still pretty clueless about how the whole things work. I'll have to do some reading up on it. Thanks, Erin!

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#21 of 115 Old 06-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Oh, and I think we need a sticky for the bead swap so new members in the DDC, or mamas who were away for a few days and missed the post, still have a chance to join in.
Who do you have to bribe to get a sticky?

#22 of 115 Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

I have no idea who you have to bride for a sticky... hmmm.
#23 of 115 Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 PM

I think Chanley is our mod....maybe try sending her a PM?

#24 of 115 Old 06-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Erin, if you do the honors on the PM for the sticky, we'll all pitch in on the bribe.

#25 of 115 Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

How to participate in the birth bead swap:

Please sign up on our new Yahoo group at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MDCdec07/

Once you sign up with the Yahoo Group please add your name and MDC Username to the database. Just click on “Database” on the left hand menu and add the correct information. This will be how I keep track of the number of participants.

Deadline to sign up for the bead swap: August 1st. At this time I will let everyone know how many mamas are participating and therefore how many beads we each have to buy and where to send your package with the beads.

Deadline to send me your beads: September 1st. I will allow 2 weeks after this date to receive all the beads. I know the good old postal service can take a few days. This will also give you all enough time to shop for and receive beads from online if you would like. If you live in Alaska, Hawaii, Europe or Canada (or anywhere else outside the continental US) you might want to send your beads a bit sooner because mail from there seems take a bit longer.

The details:

Once we know how many mamas are participating I will send out a message on the Yahoo group letting everyone know how many beads to purchase, how many copies of birth affirmations/blessings you need to make, and where to send it all to.

Beads: The best beads are ones that are not too tiny and are made of more natural materials such as glass, wood, stone or clay (not plastic). Many different stones have special meanings, they can be found at:
http://www.crystal-cure.com/gemstone-meanings.html

Affirmations/blessings: Write an identical message that will be given to each woman with the birth beads. Please make enough copies for each participant to get a copy. It should be along the lines of empowering, inspiring, or a quote about birth.

Once you have the beads and affirmations done head down to the post office. What you will need: 1 big padded envelope to send everything in. Inside should be a slightly smaller padded SASE (for me to send your beads back), your beads, and affirmations. Make sure you get enough postage on the smaller envelope so that I can send it back to you. I personally would just ask the postal worker how much it would be to send a similar weighted package from my address to yours. Check into flat rate boxes also. This might be the easiest way to get your beads back. Please, please make sure the beads are adequately protected when you send them to me.

Once I receive all the beads I will sort them and the messages so that each woman will get a set of beads and messages from everyone. I will mail the packages back out to everyone by October 1st. This then gives me 2 weeks to receive all the packages and 2 weeks to sort them.

I figure with this timeline everyone should get their necklaces well before babies start coming!

Once you receive your beads you can string them how ever you would like. Make sure to take lots of pictures to share with us!

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
#26 of 115 Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 AM

Just one thing to say: You Rock! Excellent organization...it ought to run flawlessly!

#27 of 115 Old 06-28-2007, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Awww thanks.

I'm really looking forward to this. I just became a SAHM (thought I do home daycare) and I really, really needed some sort of project like this because I feel like I'm going crazy! :
#28 of 115 Old 06-28-2007, 09:52 AM

Erin, you rock! You took something that sounded so complicated and made it seem so easy! Thanks for doing this!

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#29 of 115 Old 06-28-2007, 09:59 AM

I haven't been really active around here, but this sounds like great fun! I'm going to go join up!

Me crochetsmilie.gif ife to DH geek.gif; Mommy to DS (5) biggrinbounce.gif , DS (4) jog.gif, and DD (2) diaper.gif, and DS (newborn) babyboy.gif.

#30 of 115 Old 06-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Thank you, Thank you!! Can't wait, I love beads!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page