Freezer Recipe Swap for Post-Partum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else planning to stock the freezer with recipes after the baby is born? I thought maybe we could share good ones that we have come across or ones we plan to make. That way we will all have a lot more recipes if we share!

So everyone post a couple if you are interested and we'll see what we come up with!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#2 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 05:47 PM

I dont know of any...... would like to try some though

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#3 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I've somehow never stocked up a bit for after a birth & done fine. I always have a lot of family around & a dh that can cook I guess. This time I'll have dh, his mom AND my mom staying with us for at least several days or weeks after. And also my 16yr old dd. I expect them to present me lots of delicious food in my bed chamber!! I am a birthing queen, FEED ME!

This wasn't at all helpful to this thread.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#4 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
Is anyone else planning to stock the freezer with recipes after the baby is born? I thought maybe we could share good ones that we have come across or ones we plan to make. That way we will all have a lot more recipes if we share!

So everyone post a couple if you are interested and we'll see what we come up with!

I think that is a great idea! I have two casserole dishes on my list to make:
1. Spinach lasagna
2. Broccoli mushroom casserole

Both are meatless but contain cheese.

I'd be happy to share the recipe for either with anyone interested!

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#5 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am planning to do this, but we eat NT, so it's a bit harder to find freezer recipes and it is unlikely that many people here would be interested in the ones I do find. When I was looking for non-NT freezer recipes, I found this website helpful - under Preparation, click OAMC (Once a Month Cooking). Also, if you google search for that acronym, you can find all kinds of related sites. There are also cookbooks with OAMC recipes. I was able to find several at my local library.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#6 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 06:58 PM

It depends. There's a slight chance that we will be back in our old house (the house I grew up in, where we lived until last Nov. when we moved in with my parents for financial reasons) at that time, so if we are, we'll be doing this. If not, we won't since there will be 3 other adults around at any given time to help cook.
#7 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to find a few dairy free recipes or ones that can be converted to dairy free easily. My first DS is sensitive to it and since I'll be bfing I wanted to cut out the dairy for the new baby just until we see if he/she is sensitive or not.

MoreThanApplesauce - I'd love your recipes!

Steph you could always post your recipes and if someone could use them, then great!

#8 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

I had this one the other night and it was really good! I am sure it would freeze great. Just let it cool first and freeze into whatever portion sizes you'd like.

Black Bean Soup

1 cup salsa
3 cans black beans
2 cups chicken stock
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup chopped small carrots
2 tbsp. cilantro (fresh, chopped)
1 tsp. lime juice (optional)

Warm the salsa in your soup pot until a little bubbly, then add the black beans to heat and then the chicken stock, garlic powder, carrots into the pot. Bring to a boil while stirring and then lower the heat to simmer and cover the pot for around 15-20 minutes. Then use a hand immersion blender and blend what is about half of the soup (to thicken) being careful not to splash. You can also do this with a regular blender just be sure to let the soup cool before you blend it or ladel it out. Then add your cilantro along with the lime juice if you like and its ready to go! Sometimes I let it thicken up a bit and cook down more. I also often make brown rice on the side and put a little in the bowl before putting my soup on top. You can also add sour cream to it if you like on top.

#9 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I saw this one on another freezer thread a while back so it is made for freezing, too. I don't think I'm using this one but thought someone else might like it...

Scrumptious Chicken

¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
1 ½ cups chicken broth
8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese

Melt the butter over low heat. Mix in the flour making a rue. Add the broth and continue to cook until the sauce is thick. Add the cheese and melt.

To the sauce add:
4 cups of cooked cubed chicken breast, about 4 breast halves. (I think I use about 3 cups)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup sliced cooked carrots

Mix into the white sauce. Let cool, then pour into a gallon ziplock baggie and freeze flat.

Melt ¼ cup (half a stick) of butter. Add 1 cup of corn bread stuffing and mix well. Let cool and pour into a sandwich size baggie. Freeze.

Defrost. Pour into a casserole dish and top with the crumb topping. Bake 40-45 minutes.

#10 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a list of some things I am already planning to make. If anyone needs the recipes for any of this just let me know, I'm just copying and pasting what I have.

-Zucchini Beef Bake
-Pancakes
-Muffins
-Scrumptious Chicken
-Ground beef (cooked with onion for easy meals)
-Macaroni & Cheese
-Rotissere Chicken (shredded for easy meals)
-Chili
-Vegetable Soup
-Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas
-Burritos
-French Toast Sticks
-"Dump" Chicken (a whole site on this, looks neat)
-Baked Ziti
-Veggie Lasagna
-Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
-Meatloaf
-Meatballs
-Various casseroles

And looking for more ideas! We have an extra freezer and I want it FULL. My DH will be working A LOT then and it will just be me and a 2 year old and new baby and I don't want to have to worry about cooking, but still want nutritious meals for us.

A list I copied from somewhere of stuff that doesn't freeze well:
Here is a general list of things that do not freeze well.
Cooked egg whites and soft meringues
Jell-O or gelatin( it weeps) except in soufflés that will be eaten frozen
Cake or pie with custard filling
Cake icing that contains egg white
Mayonnaise ( separates and gets runny)
Cloves and imitation vanilla
Sauces thickened with flour or cornstarch, except when used as a binder for other ingredients.
Milk, light cream or sour cream .( We do freeze milk sometimes but it tends to separate)
Heavy cream, except when whipped
Vegetables high in water content, such as celery, fennel, tomatoes, leafy salad greens, cucumbers, radishes, potatoes, zucchini and eggplant, UNLESS they have been cooked and finely chopped or pureed
Raw vegetables unless they have been blanched first

#11 of 70 Old 07-07-2007, 09:04 PM

We haven't ever done this before, but both my boys were born in the hospital so we didn't come home for 3-4 days. This time I'm hoping while I'm laboring to be making stuff, I've heard it really helps take your mind off. But right now I'm doing all the canning that I can, I've got lots of jams done and once tomatoes are done hoping to do salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, etc. So once September/October hits I'll be doing more of a freezing stuff. DH does cook and is really good about it and my mom and inlaws are around, but its nice to have some food that I have cooked, sometimes it hits the spot a little better than DH's mish-mash. Shhhhh...

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#12 of 70 Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
I am trying to find a few dairy free recipes or ones that can be converted to dairy free easily. My first DS is sensitive to it and since I'll be bfing I wanted to cut out the dairy for the new baby just until we see if he/she is sensitive or not.

MoreThanApplesauce - I'd love your recipes!

N/p! I'll be tomorrow morning before I get around to posting them, though.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#13 of 70 Old 07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Banned

bumping this so it doesn't get lost. I want to C/P this! Woo hoo!
#14 of 70 Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 PM

We'll be doing this; I'm just weeping because we're moving from a house with a lovely big side-by-side refrigerator to one with just a small upper freezer. We'll still have our chest freezer, but I'm going to have to be a LOT more organized than I was last time I had a baby.

I usually make a TON of curry, which can be frozen in portion-sized containers, enchilladas (black bean and chicken), lasagne, stuffed shells or manicotti, our own frozen pizzas, and a bunch of batches of cookies, frozen in little dough-balls for late night breastfeeding chocolate cravings. I want to branch out a bit this time and make breakfast burritos, more soups (if anyone knows how to freeze matzoh balls, they'd be my hero!), and muffins as well as anything else I can think up. Plus, I'm planning on making a roast the size of chicago for Christmas Dinner, so we can always freeze and eat the left overs!

... plus, we have a trader joes here now, so I can pack my freezer with emergency goodies from there as well.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#15 of 70 Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 AM

Sihaya, what is NT? I'm prolly being really obtuse, but I can't get my brain to figure it out....

Subbing to this thread so I don't lose it! I was planning to start a similar thread soon, and I have a few recipes to share! We finally have a small chest freezer (never managed to get one before the other babies were born, in spite of our best intentions) so I'm really determined to fill it. Problem is, dh has a major aversion to leftovers and frozen stuff, so I've got to find recipes that freeze really well, so he won't turn up his nose.

Pasta freezes well, IME. Esp if the noodles are completely or mostly uncooked. I have a great recipe for stuffed manicotti that I'll share. I usually do something like that to take to people for births and funerals. Since baby is coming in winter, I'm thinking I'd love to have some homemade chili and other soups in the freezer. I love soup!

I would also REALLY love to have some ideas for quick, healthy, kid-friendly meals to feed my kids after dh has to return to work. I don't want to resort to mac & cheese and chicken nuggets too often, although I'm not above doing so during the first few weeks, LOL! Heck, I'm not even above serving Ramen if I get too desperate during a nursing marathon!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#16 of 70 Old 07-09-2007, 09:14 AM

This is a great thread. I *plan* on stocking up the freezer, but seeing as I can barely find time to do my own laundry, we'll see how that goes.
Here's my favorite recipe to freeze. The key is to add lots of salt and pepper. You can add other spices if you like. You can freeze the rice separately in a plastic bag.

Lentil soup

1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
6 gloves garlic, chopped
1 bag lentils
Basil
Thyme
Oregano
bay leaves
(can add ham hock)
Salt and pepper to taste

In bottom of large pot, sauté vegetables. Add lentils, fill about halfway with water. Add spices. Simmer one to two hours or until done. Serve over rice.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#17 of 70 Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
Sihaya, what is NT? I'm prolly being really obtuse, but I can't get my brain to figure it out....
NT=Nourishing Traditions, also referred to as Traditional Foods. There was a thread on it in our DDC a few months ago and this forum has tons of info. I should stop using that acronym outside of that forum, but I alway forget

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#18 of 70 Old 07-09-2007, 10:36 AM

Cool, thanks! I didn't know there was a name or "philosophy" behind it, but that's very much the way we eat. I have been frequently known to say, "if it was good enough for my great-great grandmother on the wind-swept prairie, then it's probably good enough for me!

I'm glad to find that other forum...I imagine I'll be browsing there quite a bit now!

BTW, I happen to know where you can get a great sourdough starter--one which has been growing, unbroken, since at least 1847! Really good starter, and free! Well, for the cost of an SASE.

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#19 of 70 Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

I have one to add... just made this the other night and it was really good, and the leftovers were even better. I got it here:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...EatingHealthy/

Zucchini-Beef Bake

3 medium zucchini, sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tbs. oil
1 pound ground beef
1 can soup beans
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. basil
Celtic Salt & fresh ground peper to taste.
2 cups shredded cheese, your choice (Monterey Jack, Raw)

Saute garlic in oil until brown, Add zucchini, mushrooms and spices until tender. Cook ground beef and onion until browned in separate pan; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and soup beans.
Layer half of zucchini mixture in a lightly greased 13x9 pan. Spoon half of ground beef mixture over vegetables.

Sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat leayers of vegetables and ground beef. Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 F for 30 minutes.

#20 of 70 Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM

I too was thinking about stocking the freezer with homemade ready to eat food.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

#21 of 70 Old 07-13-2007, 04:21 PM

I did it last time and it worked out great. I would make a double or triple batch and eat one and freeze the rest. I spread it out over a couple months to make it more managable. It was too much time on my feet to do big cooking days at the end of my first pregnancy.

Some of the things that froze and reheated very well that I want to make again are:

Blueberry French Toast Bake
Pot Roast
Beef Bourginon
Various flavors of quiche
Ribollita
Spaghetti and Meatballs stoup (added noodles when reheating, not freezing)

Obviously, I am a food network junkie. These are all tried and true by my family.
#22 of 70 Old 07-22-2007, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Here is another one that can be frozen. I've had these before and they were SO good! The ones I had though the person who made them added a whole cup of pumpkin and omitted the raisins. I think you could substitute the veg. oil for coconut too. Anyway these were so good and moist, I wanted to pass it on. I've been craving Pumpkin muffins lately so I dug this one back out!

Pumpkin Wheat Honey Muffins
from allrecipes.com

Original recipe yield:
1 dozen muffins

PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 20 Min
READY IN 35 Min

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin pan, or line with paper liners. Place the raisins in a cup, and add enough hot water to cover. Let stand for a few minutes to plump.
In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center, and put in eggs, pumpkin, oil and honey. Mix just until the dry ingredients are absorbed. Drain excess water from raisins, and stir in along with the walnuts. Spoon into muffin cups so they are about 2/3 full.
Bake for 18 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan before removing from cups.

#23 of 70 Old 07-23-2007, 12:10 PM

subbing here so I don't lose this. Doing this is my goal. Since we'll be moving late in the game I'm not sure how much time or energy I'll have, but I'd like to have recipes. Great idea.

Edited for a question: What do you ladies freeze your meals in? Do you just defrost overnight? And how long do you heat meals in the oven? I'm so new to this freezer cooking thing; I know nothing. Thanks.
#24 of 70 Old 07-23-2007, 12:36 PM

Wow... I am so not as prepared or creative as some of you mamas. :

I will be lurking and sneaking recipes... and once I find one I feel confident sharing, I will definetely post...

subbing...
#25 of 70 Old 07-23-2007, 01:40 PM

:

I am not one to cook. However I really need to start. This is a great idea!

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#26 of 70 Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 PM

Chicken Divan

serves 4-6

3 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
1 1/2 lbs. cooked chicken breast, cut in strips (you can use Tyson or Louis Rich or any of the ready made cooked chicken)
3 cups cream of chicken soup
1 cup mayonnaise
2 T. lemon juice
2 t. curry powder (more or less to taste)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 T. olive oil
1 cup bread crumbs

Spray large casserole dish or steamer pan with PAM.
Layer broccoli in the bottom. Cover with chicken breast strips.
Mix the soup, mayo, lemon juice and curry powder and spread evenly over the chicken.
Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
Mix bread crumbs and olive oil and sprinkle evenly over cheese layer.

Cover tightly and freeze.

The day before serving, remove from freezer and let thaw overnight in the refridgerator.

Preheat oven to 350.
Bake covered for 45 minutes, uncover and bake 15 minutes more, unitl golden brown.
Serve with egg noodles and a salad.
#27 of 70 Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 PM

Serves 4-6

3 large chicken breasts
1 c. shredded or chopped carrots (the preshredded ones are the right texture if you want shredded)
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
2 c. sliced onion
1/4 c. flour
2 c. chicken broth
1 T. dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Place chicken in a gallon size ziploc freezer bag, squeeze out air and seal. Seal vegetables in a quart size freezer bag. In a separate quart size freezer bag place broth. (I like to freeze liquids like this laying flat (the day before) for better storage, then add to the final assembly...kwim?) In a snack size ziploc bag, place flour and thyme.
Place all bags inside one gallon size freezer bag, label and freeze.

The day before preparation, remove from freezer and thaw overnight in the fridge.

Heat a heavy skillet, sprayed liberally with Pam, over med-hi heat.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper (I don't salt it, cuz the broth adds a lot of salt...seemed kinda salty the first time I made it, so I held it the next time...much better). Brown the chicken in the skillet and remove to a plate. Add the vegetables to the pan and saute for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the flour ans stir for 2 minutes. Slowly add broth to the vegetable/flour mixture, STIRRING CONSTANTLY to avoid lumps. Return chicken and any juices to the veggies in the skillet. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles and steamed peas.
#28 of 70 Old 07-23-2007, 10:06 PM

Serves 4

2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 T. prepared (yellow) mustard
1/2 c. barbeque sauce
2 T. ketchup

Brown the ground beef with the onion and bell pepper in a large skillet. Drain any fat from browned mixture.
Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes.
Cool. Divide into two equal portions, package in freezer safe containers and freeze.
On serving day, place frozen package in the fridge in the morning, then reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Serve on toasted buns with oven fries and a green salad.
#29 of 70 Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 PM

Serves 6 (generously)

2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 lb. spaghetti (or any shape pasta of your choice. I use mostaccoli or ziti a lot)
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. diced green pepper
2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 small can sliced olives
1/2 t. garlic powder (or use fresh minced garlic, about 2 t. or to taste)
1/2 t. italian seasoning (more or less to taste)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 can Dr. Pepper
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) diced, italian style seasoned tomatoes (ya know, the kind with basil, onion, garlic)
2 T. worcestershire sauce
2 c. shredded mozzarella

Brown the ground beef with the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms, until meat is cooked through and mushrooms have released their liquid.
Stir in seasonings. Add Dr. Pepper, tomatoes and tomato sauce and worcestershire to meat mixture. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
Spaghetti should be cooked until just al dente, drained and tossed with sauce and half the mozzarella.
Place in a 1/2 steamer pan sprayed with Pam and top with remaining mozzarella. Sprinkle with a dash of italian seasoning.
Cool, cover and freeze.
On serving day, place in the fridge in the morning. At suppertime, preheat oven to 375 and bake pasta, covered, for 50 minutes-1 hour.
Serve with crusty bread and steamed broccoli.
#30 of 70 Old 07-23-2007, 10:12 PM

How do I sub?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page