crafty Mamas! what are you making for baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, so i always get way too enthused about tons of things i want to make and it gets much worse when i'm pregnant! now, working at home, DH working overtime and baby #2 toddling around i get to even less. i have made nothing (except baby!) so far. for my first i knit and sewed and such more. nevertheless, this is what i am excited about making:
  • knit organic hospital hat and booties
  • action blanket, w/ loops, giant buttons, holes, textures, colors, etc.
  • sew newborn clothes that are actually small enough(!) out of the organic jersey i bought and (mostly) haven't used. esp. ones good for EC-ing, such as drawstring pants and sleep 'skirts'(watch me get a jumbo baby this time around!)
  • fabric book
  • knit more fish for mobile
  • knit bunting
  • knit some soaker pants
  • sew big sister a baby sling
  • sew or knit big sister a new doll or animal for present at hospital during labor

phew! as i suspected, writing down what was in my subconscious 'want-to-make' list makes me realize how delusional i am! argh, there are too many good things to do in life ah well, that's good.

share your wish-list and if you're speedy and have already finished some things post a bragging pic for us to ooh and aah over!
#2 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 11:08 PM

#3 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 PM

Oh what a good idea I need to organize my thoughts on baby crafts...

so far I have only gotten 2 pairs of "baby legs" made.

I'm really holding off on making much else until we know the baby's sex. but then again I'm not really into pink or blue so I guess it doesn't really matter that much because I love gender nutraul stuff.

other things to make:
-5 oversized flannel receiving blankets. They are great for swaddleing. DD still loves her blankies.
- 2 knitted hats
-a few cute hats (sewn)
- 4-5 small fitted dipes
-a few small hemp inserts
-2-3 baby "bags", great for CDed babies and for staying warm
-a new baby carrier.. not sure what type thought because well I have to many already... and make dh a "man tai, oh and probably a polar fleece sling to stay extra warm.
-3 more parts of "baby legs"
- a special something for dd "from the baby"
-2 pairs of recycled longies

I think thats it.. : we'll see if I get it done.

ETA: Pics of the "baby legs" and a pic of the new dress I just made for dd
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...t=IMG_1237.jpg

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...t=IMG_1205.jpg
#4 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 PM

I'll be "making" lots of Hyena Cart purchases ... I'm very crafty with using my AmEx
#5 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 11:59 PM

I need to learn how to do that stuff. I do find it appealing, but I'm such a spaz and I'm pretty crap at being domestic. I need to find someone to show me the basics...I can research till I'm blue in the face, but seeing casting on in real life is so much easier to follow than a diagram.
Y'all might enjoy this NYT story on hip knitting: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/fa...307&ei=5087%0A
By the way, Erin, those longies are adorable. Which body part do they go on?

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#6 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 AM

Longies/Shorties are pants/short type things.

Once I know the sex I'll be making a blanket, I'd like to make some other things but I'm just learning how to knit, so if its not in a square or rectange then I can't do it. I think I'll also be "making" some purchases as well. :

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#7 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 AM

I just finished this sweater yesterday.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...2bMXVA&notag=1

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

#8 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 01:45 AM

Since we won't find out the baby's sex before birth, I'm having trouble figuring out how to make what all I want to make.

I want to make (sew) a "welcome baby" outfit. Prolly in white or cream, suitable for boy or girl.

I want to make at least 2 baby sacks with sleeves. I have an adorable crochet pattern with a matching hat....almost looks like a pea pod, lol! Since we don't know the sex, I'm tempted to do one in a light green and capitalize on the peapod element....maybe I can add some pink or blue edging to it after the birth, if I feel like it. My big problem on this one is what wool to use.....I want something super soft, but not too bulky. The closest LYS is over an hour's drive, and I just can't decide over the internet.

I want to make a couple wool soakers. Again, the color issue is holding me back. I'm almost tempted to do them in natural wool and then koolaid-dye the finished soaker. Have no idea how that would work, though....

I'll prolly do a baby blanket in boyish colors, because the one I did for ds2 was more girly--I thought it was gn when I bought it, but it really looks more girly finished. So if this baby is a girl, then it'll be perfect....she can have the one I made last time, and ds can have to boyish one. If it's another boy, then I'm in trouble, LOL!

A couple knit "elf" hats....a new sling (I'm thinking a really soft flannel)....a couple crocheted toys (I have a cute pattern for a miniature bunny blanket with knotted arms and legs, and I might modify the pattern to do a puppy or frog or something) using leftover yarn from the other projects.

Sheesh, I gotta get crackin'!

ETA: Stellimamo, those babylegs are adorable! Can you share your pattern, or is it copyrighted? Your dd is a sweetie, too. That dress is very similar to one that I made Maggie for her birthday.

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#9 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 10:26 AM

I made a sling, and I'll probably make another one once an order of microfleece comes in (I ordered from a co-op)

I've been making lots of diapers but now I'm starting to feel like maybe I should have invested all $ I used buying fabric into buying some bG's or something.

I haven't had a crafty urge beyond these things as far as the baby goes - I'll probably make myself some pp pads and nursing pads...
#10 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post

ETA: Stellimamo, those babylegs are adorable! Can you share your pattern, or is it copyrighted? Your dd is a sweetie, too. That dress is very similar to one that I made Maggie for her birthday.
Thanks! Oh they are sooo easy.. They are just knee socks that I cut off at the heal and zig zagged around the bottom to get them that lettuce leaf edge. If this ends up being a boy I'll probably put a cuff on the lettuce leaf edge so they don't look to girlie. I made up those 2 pair in less than 15 mins. I've heard that Target has a bunch of cute knee socks and toe socks that would be perfect.
#11 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 12:17 PM

We probably won't find out the sex, so I have been hesitant to craft anything. I have a strong urge to make little dresses, which I could always save for later or donate to charity, but I don't have much crafting time and need to make it count for this baby. So far, here's what I've started/planned:

*Little yellow and orange crocheted hat (complete): http://www.geocities.com/crochethut/babyswirls.html
*Green and black flannel pants out of a pair of old PJ's (still working on the waistband and cuffs).
*Bearghan. Mom and Grandma will contribute blocks so that the baby has an intergenerational gift--we did something similar for my son: http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/bearghan.html.
*There are some great free sewing patterns here that I would like to try using old clothes and fabrics of mine: http://babypatterns.atspace.com/overview.html

That's all I have now.

Me crochetsmilie.gif ife to DH geek.gif; Mommy to DS (5) biggrinbounce.gif , DS (4) jog.gif, and DD (2) diaper.gif, and DS (newborn) babyboy.gif.

#12 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 12:52 PM

I've made a cashmere cotton flannel blanket and cut out 3 heirloom type gowns that are in various states of noncompletion. I just haven't sewn much since getting pg...I nap with the kids instead. I thought by the 2nd trimester I'd be able to stay up, but I'm not. I guess I need to sleep more anyway.

There are just tons of things I want to make, but I need to know the sex of the baby, which we will hopefully find out next week.

Christa
#13 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I love the pictures you guys have shared! The only thing I've actually gotten started on is a quilt. I homemade quilts.

Whenever I have time to sit & sew, I try to focus on building up my wee business (monstermomma.com, in my sig), so I'm not sewing as much for my own shortlings. I reeeeeally want to learn to make little pants. I love funky little pants.

I love hearing about your crafty projects!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#14 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I plan on making:
3 pairs of Wool longies (with the yarn above)
Handknit socks and booties(for me during labor and in recoup stage)
Baby socks
baby slip on booties (patterns all over the web)
Waldorf baby doll
Wrap sling
Knit baby blanket and sewn Minkee blanket if I get the $$

I just got my two cones of Treliske in the mail to make the longies. Now I have to split it and dye them. I really want to wait until we know the sex, though, which we may or may not find out in about a week.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#15 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamablueberry View Post
I just finished this sweater yesterday.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...2bMXVA&notag=1
That is flippin adorable.

(Not a word I use often, but such a sweater warranted it. aww.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi927 View Post
*There are some great free sewing patterns here that I would like to try using old clothes and fabrics of mine: http://babypatterns.atspace.com/overview.html
Thank you for this site!

For me:
In the process of making a very soft cotton scarf in this deep sexy charcoal grey. (Made DS a scarf his first winter season, and we used it all the time, loved it. Yes, we were careful.)

Will be making an uber soft quilt, I made my first quilt last year - and still have it, love it, but it's not quite Cuddly enough. I want something scrumptious. Will probably do something silly on it, like robots dancing on top of diamond mountains or puppydogs eating ice cream cones. Who knows.

I will be makings lots and lots of stuff from that site Mandi linked too - what a fantastic site. I've never used patterns before, so I've never made infant clothes.

Will make baby a ring sling, a pouch sling, and will make an Ella wrap as well.

Will definitely make big brother a sling, with his own 'baby' to put in it.

Thats it for now, I believe.
ETA: As for colorations and sex of the baby - eh. If its a girl, she has all boy handmedowns, so I'm sure she'll get used to it. Also, my boy loves flowers and pink, so we're a pretty neutral family.
#16 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 04:08 PM

Oh great! We would get a thread like this just as my sewing machine gags and dies. I really need to find a new one on Craigslist or Freecycle before I can do any serious baby crafting.

I really want to do some nice warm fleece and flannel baby blankets that are actually LARGE so I can use them to swaddle... we had a horrible time with those bitty flannel receiving things from Target last time. I also want to do a warm, comfy car seat cover so we don't have to arse around with a snowsuit. And I need to make Elliot a baby quilt and pillow case for when he goes into his big boy bed.

Since I can't work on those... I'm really going to finish crocheting the baby sweater I started for E and didn't finish because the sleeves confuse me. Really! I mean it this time! I also want to make some felted wool balls for baby play once I work out where to get the roving I need.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#17 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 06:54 PM

I'm planning to make all new AIOs for this baby. We're currently using mostly pre-folds and covers with the girls, but DH loves the few AIOs we have and I'm not willing to spend a ton on them when I can make them for much less.

I'm also planning to make a solarveil pouch and a fleece pouch (I already have a sling, wrap and two buckle mei tais - like the ergo, but homemade)

I want some baby legs this time and will probably make those too...

I'm also just now finishing a braided rug that I'll use in the girls' room when we move next (and they get their own room). I just made it from scraps of fabric, so it's totally multi-colored and funky... but it's kind of cool. I'll post pics when I finish it later this week.

I'll probably also throw some hats and booties into the mix... my girls were both early summer babies and I don't have warm newborn stuff.

Emily
#18 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 PM

Can I take credit for making the baby's feet and fingers, heart and liver? Because I can't seem to actually craft anything else! :

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#19 of 19 Old 07-14-2007, 12:06 AM

Stellimamo, you are so clever! I thought you knit those yourself, and I was quite impressed! Your ingenuity impresses me even more though.....a project I can see myself quite easily completing!!

I probably wouldn't make those until later, though, since they wouldn't really get much use until the baby is somewhat mobile.

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page