What sling or carrier are you getting? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 79 Old 08-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an Inka Storch wrap that I LOVE, and a homemade ring sling that's handy until the babe gets to about 15-ish pounds. But since this is my first girl, after three boys, I'm thinking I may have to get something girly...

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#62 of 79 Old 08-18-2007, 04:07 AM

OK so in addition to my old blue Maya, my old-ish black Moby wrap any the aloe EllaRoo fringed Rebozo that I bought on consignment because I didn't want anyone else to have it, I just made (yes, made) myself a Mai Tei. I used a beautiful rust-colored cotton for the body & straps and a silky brocade for the back panel.

I have never sewn anything. ever. I am so proud. I added a (blurry) picture of it to my belly pics album. http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...x&x=1&y=x8slwz

Because it only cost me $12 to make, and they're like $65 to buy, I am now allowed (by my rules) to spend $99 on the Ergo carrier when I find a color I like.

Next I plan to make some diapers, that will save a lot of money, too. I need couches, I better make a lot!
#63 of 79 Old 08-18-2007, 05:38 PM

Lisa,

I'm just starting to use my sewing machine and would love to make a mei tei. Do you have directions or dimensions?

Thanks!
#64 of 79 Old 08-19-2007, 05:12 AM

The patterns I was inspired by were on this page
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html
specifically, I printed out the Basic Mei Tei and on this page
http://thosemartins.com/bmt/index.htm

I have never sewn anything before, and I had no idea how to read a pattern. It looked so easy, then their descriptions seemed so complicated, so I just improvised almost the entire time. I am very pleased with how it turned out, and today (with the money I saved making one instead of buying one) I bought MORE fabric, to try and make a podaegi (it should be really easy, What's up with the long skirt-thing, though?
#65 of 79 Old 08-20-2007, 01:20 AM

Well I guess I will be considered a collector already. I have bought plenty of wraps, a couple of MT, a Onbu and a couple of pouches. The more I read about different wraps and carriers the more intrigued I get. Although I have never carried my own babe in a carrier, I feel like I am going to fall in love with babywearing. It just feels right. I did carry a friend's baby in a MT for about a minute and really really felt the love.

I have different one for different needs and occasions. I am sure that I will wind up selling several as I tweak my stash, but I have a good basis and I feel good with the number of carriers that I do have.

I also have issues with passing on a good deal...lol.
#66 of 79 Old 08-20-2007, 02:09 AM

actually- I just found another MT pattern that look so much easier. I think maybe I"ll use that podaegi fabric for another MT. Especially since my straps seem a bit too stretchy (is that because I put my 2 yr old in it, she's about 27lbs, is that too much for a MT? I think I have seen bigger kids in them in pictures, is it practical?

here's the newer-to-me MT pattern, it looks so easy.

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/bbo.html
#67 of 79 Old 08-20-2007, 03:49 PM

One thing I will say about mei tais for all you ladies who are making them.. take the extra time and pad the straps. I tend to use the mei tai for the babe once they are bigger and I <3 the ones with padding, atleast on the shoulders.
#68 of 79 Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 AM

note taken, but I really think that might be beyond my sewing capabilities at this point!
#69 of 79 Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 AM

i plan to use my moby at first, i have some woven wraps but will save that for when dd is heavier. i also really like ringslings, but nothing compares to moby!!
#70 of 79 Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 AM

I have a plain fabric pouch, a gorgeous Baby Hawk and a Solarveil ring sling. I'd like to get a wrap and a warmer pouch or sling, since I'll need to be out and about with Newbie a LOT more than I needed to be with Isabel!
#71 of 79 Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 PM

I have a (modest... by some standards... really! ) collection of carriers that I'm dying to put into full-time rotation again. For the first few months (after our lying-in babymoon but still during our winter cozying-in, home-centered babymoon period before spring starts and we're out in the world more), I anticipate "dressing" in a Moby Wrap in the mornings, as a shirt basically, and snugging a diaper-clad babe up into my chest for some extended skin to skin time during the day, as well as poppability so I'm not tying and adjusting carrier straps all day long. I love the elasticity of the Moby because you can slip and baby in and out, move it around for nursing, move it back, etc., without having to take off and retie the whole thing. That's my plan for outings and errands, too -- have a Moby Wrap tied snugly around me, and just pop the baby in while the kids are getting out of the car, then pop her (or him) back out and into the infant seat when we return.

For the spring I anticipate using my mei tais a lot (I have a bunch of fun fabrics and colors), especially for extended outings like at our homeschooling group or the educational activities at the local farm, etc. I also have a few german wraps that I love to pieces, that I use mostly at home (I personally find a MT faster and more bullet-proof when we're out of the home, plus I find that they look more user-friendly to people, so I get to evangelize more!). I also adore a silk ring sling for church. I love babywearing!

Tending a garden of little ones. stillheart.gif
#72 of 79 Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 PM

So I just got to go to DC baby carrier expo. I intended to buy a BabyHawk or other mei tei, but ended up deciding to go with a moby d wrap. I liked it a lot when I tested it out at the expo.
#73 of 79 Old 08-30-2007, 12:19 AM

I have a Baby Bjorn and a Hotsling from when DS1 was a baby. I ordered a Moby Wrap for this baby -- I'm hoping it will be easier to nurse in than the Hotsling (nursing in the Bjorn was an impossibility, LOL), and it's certainly more comfortable than either one of them. I know it will be outgrown fast -- at that point I'll probably go for a Mei Tai carrier as my workhorse and use the Hotsling for backup/keep in the diaper bag type stuff. I like the Hotsling, but it did get kind of heavy on my shoulder once babe got bigger, and it wasn't hands-free like an upright carrier (I did love the Bjorn for being truly hands-free, despite the back pain as DS got bigger). I can see a Mei Tai (loving Baby Hawk!) working best for everyday with a heavier baby. I'd consider a woven wrap, but by the time DS2 is big enough to have outgrown the Moby, it's going to be pretty warm outside, so I think a Mei Tai will be cooler.
#74 of 79 Old 08-31-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturemama1 View Post
I anticipate "dressing" in a Moby Wrap in the mornings, as a shirt basically, and snugging a diaper-clad babe up into my chest for some extended skin to skin time during the day
That's my plan too. I adore my moby wrap, I got it when ds was about 9 months and it was so comfy to carry him. I won't use it that long this time, but I'm looking forward to cuddleing a newborn in there.

I also have a pouch, and a ring sling, a WAHM mei tei, and any day now I should be getting my BH,

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#75 of 79 Old 09-02-2007, 09:32 PM

My answer will keep changing every month. I sold the BBO. I'm in the process of trying to trade the BHXT. I sold the lucky-baby and bought a hotsling. I Bought, sold and bought a Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Breeze (different colorways). And, I still haven't sewn a thing, but I cut out the body and straps of one DIY mt. I should go do that now!
#76 of 79 Old 09-03-2007, 01:01 AM

I have a hotsling, a maya pouch, a kozy and an ergo. But with DS1, I hurt a rib so I'm concerned I won't be able to use a 1 shoulder sling again.
#77 of 79 Old 09-03-2007, 11:25 AM

DH did some research and was sold on a wrap so he got himself an Ella wrap, which is beautiful, and we've practiced with it by slinging our cuddly kitty around. She loves to be held and handled, luckily, and she loves being in the wrap. What an odd cat she is! The learning curve is definitely a bit steep with the wrap, and I find it difficult to manage because it's so long, but I'm getting the hang of it. DH is already a pro.

I'm buying a CuddlyWrap this week for myself for when the baby is tiny, and I'm planning to do what another poster mentioned about just wearing it as a sort of shirt around the house for those first weeks at least. When we go out to run the daily errands DH or I will just wrap baby up inside our coats in the CuddlyWrap. I'd get a MobyWrap, but I want to support Canadian Made products, even though the Cuddly is a bit more expensive.

Catherine - Born at home 01/08/08
#78 of 79 Old 09-03-2007, 09:34 PM

How awesome that your husband has done his research and bought his own wrap. That is something you dont see everyday.

DH just leaves everything up to me.
#79 of 79 Old 09-04-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaqpearl View Post
How awesome that your husband has done his research and bought his own wrap. That is something you dont see everyday.

DH just leaves everything up to me.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised! Before this pregnancy I had no idea he could ever be interested in this sort of thing. Funny guy. I feel so lucky to have him.

Catherine - Born at home 01/08/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page