Freeze dried Placenta capsules??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone? Anyone?

I am seriously thinking about doing this but don't know how to go about it. Has anyone done this before or plan to this postpartum? I'd love to learn more about it. I know there are lots of ways to consume the nutrient-rich, hormone balancing amazing placenta but the only way i can think about it for more than 5 seconds without gaging :Puke is the freeze-dried capsules.

I've heard it works wonders for pg recovery and replacing iron and progesterone after giving birth. Soooooo . . . . what do you all think?:

Christy-SAHM to my elf princess(4/06) and my little man (12/07). Married to the love of my life and expecting our pumpkin baby boy 10/09! :
#2 of 12 Old 08-28-2007, 10:22 PM

I've heard it has amazing benefits too... but I've never done anything with ours... and I don't know much about it other than that.
#3 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I know I already posted it in the useful websites thread, but this site is extremely helpful. She even has a kit you can buy that has everything you should need to do it yourself. Also, if you poke around in your area, there may be someone who already does this service. If not, there may be someone willing to learn to do it. Here, there is a doula who dried a friend's for her. Unfortunately, she is moving to Hawaii before my due date, but she is teaching our LLL leader how to do it as well. I just hope she's available to do it during the busy holiday season.

As far as the benefits, I'm interested in preventing PPD more than anything else. I don't have any personal experience but do have one friend who took the capsules and, besides some bfing trouble, was fairly balanced emotionally post-partum. HTH!

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#4 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
I know I already posted it in the useful websites thread, but this site is extremely helpful. She even has a kit you can buy that has everything you should need to do it yourself.
Wow, thanks for posting that link, it was exactly what I was just going to start searching for. I mentioned drying the placenta to my midwife's assistant just to kind of feel them out on the subject and she immediately offered to research it and help me do it. I'm glad I worked up the nerve to mention it. I told her I already researched it and wanted to do it, just wasn't sure if they would think it was icky. But she's totally on board.

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
#5 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 AM

I may be doing this. I agree that the Placenta Benefits website has good info, although the price of the kit is a bit high considering you can get the supplies for about $30 if you buy them on your own. There are a few good threads on this in the PPD forum. Avoiding PPD would be my main goal, although it certainly has other benefits. I *may* get the chance to dry a friend's for her before my due date, and I would not be drying my own - my brother has offered to do mine for me. I think trying to dry your own immediate pp would be too much work.

The basic recipe is to steam it, dehydrate it (either in a low oven or a dehydrator), grind it and encapsulate it. There are two schools of thought, however. Some people prefer to eat it raw and claim this has the most benefits. Traditional Chinese medicine dictates that it should be "warm", not "cool", and so it requires some cooking. I am planning on talking to my acupuncturist/herbalist about this as well, to get some more advice.

Steph, thanks for all of the links in the other thread - you had some that I hadn't found yet!

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#6 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatmama View Post
and I would not be drying my own - my brother has offered to do mine for me. I think trying to dry your own immediate pp would be too much work.
Just wanted to mention, that this is awesome.
Good for your brother, how loving.

I will be drying my own - using low oven technique. Will buy capsules at a natural pharmacy.
I did not suffer PPD last time around, but I was definitely emotionally unbalanced for quite some time - I'd like to ease the transition of leveling things out.
#7 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
I would not be drying my own - my brother has offered to do mine for me.
As a side note, I have read and heard from people who have dried them that most men cannot stand the smell and that most women either enjoy or don't mind it. Also, that it is very pungent. This is why I'm more comfortable having it done in someone else's home so my DH isn't bothered by it to the point where he would want to leave the apt (which is very small so the whole thing, possibly the whole building, would smell like placenta).

Quote:
I may be doing this. I agree that the Placenta Benefits website has good info, although the price of the kit is a bit high considering you can get the supplies for about $30 if you buy them on your own.
That kit is quite pricey and I wouldn't buy it, but it's a place to start. I recommend that website because it seems to be the most readable and easy to understand of the ones I've seen.

Quote:
There are two schools of thought, however. Some people prefer to eat it raw and claim this has the most benefits. Traditional Chinese medicine dictates that it should be "warm", not "cool", and so it requires some cooking. I am planning on talking to my acupuncturist/herbalist about this as well, to get some more advice.
We are just going to do both. The people who dry it around here do it according to TCM, which is fine with me, but I don't necessarily subscribe to the cold/warm ideas wholeheartedly, so I'm also going to have some raw in a smoothie. Hopefully that will hold me over while the capsules are being prepared.

Quote:
Steph, thanks for all of the links in the other thread - you had some that I hadn't found yet!
No problem! Glad they could be useful to someone else.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#8 of 12 Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
As a side note, I have read and heard from people who have dried them that most men cannot stand the smell and that most women either enjoy or don't mind it. Also, that it is very pungent. This is why I'm more comfortable having it done in someone else's home so my DH isn't bothered by it to the point where he would want to leave the apt (which is very small so the whole thing, possibly the whole building, would smell like placenta).
I've read that, too, and that's a good point. I think he would be happy to suffer through. He's great that way! He will be staying with me for about a week after the birth, and we may want to consider having him do this at his apt (about five minutes away) so we don't risk smelling up my whole house!

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#9 of 12 Old 08-30-2007, 09:38 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I have been wondering how this is done. I found some more links the explain other preparations as well as how to do this without the expensive kit.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._placenta.html

http://www.mothers35plus.co.uk/plac_...tm#dehydrating
#10 of 12 Old 09-02-2007, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm interested in preserving my placenta as well but am a bit torn on how to do it, and whether or not I will have a lotus birth, which would affect what I did with the placenta after. Part of me feels like it's mine to use, but part of me feels like it's baby's so I need to respect it and not use it :

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#11 of 12 Old 09-02-2007, 12:27 PM

I am going to try to find an herbalist or Chinese medicine dr. that will do mine for me... Don't want to take the time away from my babe to do it myself, and don't think DH could stomach it.

I'll want capsules though, don't think I could handle it any other way, unless I hemorrhage, then I wouldn't think twice about swallowing a big slab... It's a miracle to stop bleeding and start uterine contraction.
#12 of 12 Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 PM

well nevermind I guess I will be making my own after talking to my midwife today, it seems very easy.

She said all you do is dry it, grind it up in coffee grinder, and capsule.

I'll be making a mother tincture for my babe as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page