Anyone have PUPPS or Obstetric Cholestasis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-02-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So it looks like I might have obstetric cholestasis. For over a week now I've been itching like a mad woman, especially at night. I've missed four days of work since last Monday and if this continues then I'm done working. The lack of sleep is killing me & its not like I haven't done sleepless nights before. My dd was up every 2 hrs for at least a year. I am so upset about this. My dd's birth was an easy 3.5 hrs in the hospital since there weren't any midwives in the city. I've dreamed of a homebirth for years & years and it was almost going to happen since we now have a practice of midwives. I have so many mixed emotions between worrying about the safety of my baby girl & being devastated about likely loosing my homebirth. I'm trying not to overeact until I meet with my midwife again next week. My dd was born at 36w6d, so if I go into labour at that time again, I need to know if the birth would be considered high risk. But with no sleep all I want to do is sit here & cry. Has anyone else been through this?

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-03-2007, 12:09 AM

I've never even heard of it, but it sounds terrible! I just wanted to offer you

Is there any chance it could go away? Can't they help ya with the itching?
#3 of 6 Old 10-03-2007, 04:22 AM

I had such severe itching with my twin pregnancy that I thought I would lose my mind. I tried every over the counter itch remedy there was and none helped. I had labs drawn for cholestasis and luckily did not have it, but I was very worried about the possibility. I will keep my fingers crossed that you don't have it. I think it's actually pretty rare. Stay away from google searches of cholestasis -- I really, really scared myself. I didn't have PUPPS, either.

For me, the itching got worse after I had my girls. I met with my allergist at 4 months PP, finally, and we tested whether it was an allergy to Ancef, since I had that in my IV with the C-section. I was not allergic to it, so he thinks it was just a hormonal reaction.

What finally helped me was using a bath oil and skin cream he recommended from psico.com The bath oil is the RoBathOl and the cream is VaniCream. It is hypoallergenic, paraben and scent free. It really helped. I just ordered a whole bunch last night in case I get the itchies this time too.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#4 of 6 Old 10-03-2007, 04:34 AM

I had undiagnosed colestasis with my dd I about went mad with the itching. PUPPS and colestasis are 2 different things tho. PUPPS you will have a rash that itches with colestasis there is no rash you just itch.

If you want to research colestasis the best site on the web is called itchymoms.com tons of information there but it can be a very scary thing to have.

The only thing that stopped the itching was to sit in the bath with the fan blowing on me or sleeping on the floor with the fan blowing on me. That is the only time I could sleep.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 6 Old 10-03-2007, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by f&p'smama View Post
I had such severe itching with my twin pregnancy that I thought I would lose my mind. I tried every over the counter itch remedy there was and none helped. I had labs drawn for cholestasis and luckily did not have it, but I was very worried about the possibility. I will keep my fingers crossed that you don't have it. I think it's actually pretty rare. Stay away from google searches of cholestasis -- I really, really scared myself. I didn't have PUPPS, either.

For me, the itching got worse after I had my girls. I met with my allergist at 4 months PP, finally, and we tested whether it was an allergy to Ancef, since I had that in my IV with the C-section. I was not allergic to it, so he thinks it was just a hormonal reaction.

What finally helped me was using a bath oil and skin cream he recommended from psico.com The bath oil is the RoBathOl and the cream is VaniCream. It is hypoallergenic, paraben and scent free. It really helped. I just ordered a whole bunch last night in case I get the itchies this time too.
Oh yes the google searches are scary. I mean I want information so that I know what kind of questions to ask. But OTOH I really don't want to freak myself out more than neccessary before my appointment next week. Thanks for the cream recommendation, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I had undiagnosed colestasis with my dd I about went mad with the itching. PUPPS and colestasis are 2 different things tho. PUPPS you will have a rash that itches with colestasis there is no rash you just itch.

If you want to research colestasis the best site on the web is called itchymoms.com tons of information there but it can be a very scary thing to have.

The only thing that stopped the itching was to sit in the bath with the fan blowing on me or sleeping on the floor with the fan blowing on me. That is the only time I could sleep.
Why was your colestasis undiagnosed? Was everything ok with your pregnancy? I'd rather have the nasty rash that goes along with PUPPS since it sounds much less serious. I do have spots that look rashy - but I think its just a product of my scratching not a true rash. I made the mistake of letting my mom see itchymoms.com for an explanation. Not thinking how freaked out she would get.

Were either of you working when you had itching? I work fulltime and have already missed several days. The itching is slightly better in the daytime, but I'm so tired from not sleeping.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#6 of 6 Old 10-04-2007, 12:56 AM

No I wasnt working thank God or I would have had to quite. No way could I function when the itching got to its worse.

It went undiagnosed because I never told the OB/GYN that I was itching. I was under the very mistaken assumption that all pg woman itched like that and you just had to live with it. At one point I did have a liver test done due to my feet doing this: Picture and the test came back abnormal but my OB at the time decided not to follow through with more testing for what ever reason : they never could tell me what was wrong with my feet even after brining in 4 different ob's in the practice to look and from what I have read it probably wasnt due to the colestasis but I will never know.

After I had my dd and got the net I started to wonder what was wrong and if I was going to go through the same thing with another pg and started searching and found out how close my dd actually came to not being with me.

I only gained 4pds with her pg and I was not able to eat. I wasnt sick or anything I just couldnt force food into me it is very difficult to explain exactly how I felt about food. Milk shakes kept me alive. 2 days after her birth I had lost 20+ pds. She was born a very healthy 7pds 11oz, 5 days late (I knew my exact conception date so she was truly post dates very dangerous for a colestasis baby) but she was born with meconium and a fever of 101 she was also jaundiced at birth and was in hospital under billi lights for 2.5 days. They even kept her wrapped in a bili blanket when they brought her to me to nurse. Her bilirubin levels reached nearly 20-23 at 2 days old.

Other than that she has had no issues that I am aware of. When I got pg with ds I spoke to the MW at length about what happened with dd so that she would be aware of it and take the proper steps if it started again. I did have very minor itching of my hands and feet but I am happy to report the blood work came back normal and it never progessed past that point.

The itching was also more tolerable during the day but sleep deprivation was really bad. If I hadnt found the fan and laying in the floor practicly naked I wouldnt have gotten what little sleep I did.

I hope you get things figured out soon. And there is things to help with the itching to some extent

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page